Other options

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Gobae
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Other options

Post by Gobae »

Obviously ITM offers a huge source of tunes for simple flutes, but what other options are there? Understandably there are key and range limitations but what other areas of music have a decent amount of accessible tunes? Renaissance/"Early Music", Baroque? Does recorder music readily transfer?

Along the same vein, what modern tunes have you seen written for simple flute, or ones that work well on them? I've seen some Lord of the Rings themes ("Concerning Hobbits"), Titanic, and "Lion's Pride" (World of Warcraft).
Gobae - The Blacksmith
FascinatedWanderer
antispam: No

Re: Other options

Post by FascinatedWanderer »

I would think most classical music written for flute until the late 19th century would be entirely accessible on the simple system flute...
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

What about this?
My brain hurts

plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:What about this?
I really didn't WANT to like this, but, wow - I'm afraid I like it a lot! Interesting flute the guy is playing, too...

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Yes, very nice. It's good to be kings.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Raggle Taggle

Post by Raggle Taggle »

jim stone wrote:American fiddle tunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ITwq8skaPg
The secret must be in the tongueing :P
Denny

Post by Denny »

yeah, I think you are correct...
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
toddyboy50
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by toddyboy50 »

There are a host of different tunes available here, including Asian, classical, and many others that are quite accessible to simple system flutes - you should be able to find something that you like for a change of pace.... Tod

http://abcnotation.com/tunes
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Here's another from America toward the end of the 18th century.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7rrfy9rxbY
O'Muirgheasain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by O'Muirgheasain »

Gobae wrote:... what other areas of music have a decent amount of accessible tunes? Renaissance/"Early Music", Baroque?
The simple system flute could easily play the earliest polyphonic song, Renaissance and Baroque music.
I am as Celtic Irish as it gets, but put THIS beautiful Scottish melody on your flute.
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

Does recorder music readily transfer?
Very much recorder music is written (or transposed) in the "easy" keys, C,D, F and G, though you'll need to watch out for the occaisional "low" C if your flute doesn't have any keys. A genre you might like to consider is "English Folk Dancing" music, John Playford's "Dancing Master", for instance, much of which has been prepared for the recorder :)
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
megapop

Post by megapop »

Ah, speaking of recorder music:
In case you don't already know it, I love the music collection "Der Fluyten Lust-hof" (the title is simply marvelous, meaning something like "The Flute Pleasure Garden") by Jonkheer Jacob van Eyck, a blind baroque recorder virtuoso. All of the tunes are in the keys of Cmaj, Dmin or Ddor, and therefore can be easily transposed for a keyless flute in D (just up a whole tone step) without having to worry about notes beyond its range. The scheme of the tunes is always the same: He first presents a simple (folk or liturgical) melody, which he then elaborates in several improvised variations, each of which becoming more and more complex and difficult. You can find a few renditions on YT.
return null;
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

If you want to go the way Megapop suggests above there's this blog that deals with 16/17th century and later Dutch/Flemish music and has on-line versions of manuscripts and collections of same.

'Oude en Nieuwe Hollantse Boerenlieties and contredansen' is another large collection along similar lines as 'Der Fluyten Lusthof' that Megapop mentioned.

While we're at it the accordeonaire blog has a fair lot of downloadable collections of French music that could suit the flute.
My brain hurts

chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

That's cool, Peter! Thanks for posting that; I've already found a couple of interesting tunes. I always love trying to read the period manuscripts.

I also second Kypfer's suggestion of the Playford tunes. There are a few hundred of them, so they can provide hours and years of pleasure.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.