Stock Tie-In Placement

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Jeff Cullen
antispam: No

Stock Tie-In Placement

Post by Jeff Cullen »

I acquired a new bag and now I'm going to tie it in. I've tied in about 6 Uilleann pipe sets and over 100 sets of highland pipes over
the years. Stock placement measurements are well defined for highland pipes, but it seems to be not so for Uilleann pipes.
I realize bag size and shape vary more for Uilleann pipes than highland pipes. That said, I'd like to get the best stock
placement to be able to use the regs (on a full set). I did a search on this forum for measurements for stock placement
and came up with very little information. Hence (finally I arrive at the point), I thought it would be usefule, especially to
me right now, but also for others in the future, to have some reference material on the subject. I'd like to ask anyone who
can take the time to do so to take just a couple of pictures like the ones below to show where their stocks are placed. If a ruler or tape measure
can be inlcuded in the photo, then measurements can be discerned from the photo. Maybe include the maker, pitch (CP, C, B, etc.)
and configuration (practice set, half set, 3/4, full etc.) along with any comments you might have. Thanks to all who participate
or impart advice. Hopefully this will become useful reference at some point.

This is from a Froment 5/4 CP set:
Note that this is the bag I am replacing and I tied this in several years ago using the SWAG method of stock placement. I
would not recommend this size, shape, style of bag, riveting or the SWAG method of stock placement.
Jeff Cullen
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - A.E.
Ceann Cromtha
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Re: Stock Tie-In Placement

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Hi Jeff,

I recently had a dilemma about where to place my main stock for my full set that has the long ("pimp stick") bass regulator bar. When I bought the set the placement was such to where it seemed like my left arm (I'm right-handed) would have to be a foot longer and made of rubber to play it comfortably. The bag was leaking, so I replaced it and tried to get a better fit just letting a maker tie it in "in a good position"... This didn't work so I had to buy another bag (the other one will still be used, so not all was lost).

So, the third time around I decided to try it a different way. When my new bag arrived I went down to the local hardware store and bought a plastic gadget that had two open ends and a petcock valve in the middle. I'm not sure what this thing is called but they had dozens of them in plastic, brass, different sizes, etc. so I guess it's something plumbers use quite often. It was also quite cheap -- it was under 5 bucks.

I got this home and made it to where I could 1. tie it into the bag as a chanter stock (since this was temporary I just wrapped it with a leather piece and used a hose clamp) and 2. made an ending for this by plugging the outer hole up with a dowel with a hole drilled through it where I could put the chanter in. I then got my lovely wife to come down to help (you'll need another person in the next step). I inflated the bag through the open hole just described, turned the petcock valve to "off" to keep all that air in the bag, put the chanter in and assumed a comfortable playing position. Then I got my assistant to help me position the main stock in a comfortable place and then got her to mark that with chalk. Then we did the same with the air hose stock. We did this several times, remembering the adage "measure twice, cut once." (If you know where the air hose stock should go you could just as easily do this without the gadget by putting the chanter stock in, plugging it up [or use a chanter with a stop valve], pumping it up and so forth.)

In short this worked out beautifully. I had gone into the plan with the faith that the long bass regulator bar would not have survived so long if it didn't work well and the only reason that we wind up with sets that seem impossible to play with it is that individuals make mistakes about where to place it in the bag.

I would post a picture of the gadget if I knew how (I'm an imbecile when it comes to computer stuff). If anyone is interested send me a PM, I'll email it to them and then they can post it if there is interest.

Best,
Dan
Hans-Joerg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Re: Stock Tie-In Placement

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Ceann Cromtha names the problem: There are so many variables that you simply can´t take the bag and say the mainstock hole must be in this or this position. Your body measures, the set´s size (flat or CP for example), the bag´s size, blowpipe position, tayloresque base reg bar, shoulder strap ... determine the position and you need a second person. Isn´t the best position that where the palm of your lower chanter-hand is closely above the baritone reg´s F#-key when you sit in a comfortable position?