SOS Boosey & Co F flute x8 keyed

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Neil B
antispam: No

SOS Boosey & Co F flute x8 keyed

Post by Neil B »

Trying to obtain some pics and advice on this F Flute a RS P... perfected. I belived it to be an Eb or D but turns out to be an F. I'm after a x6 keyed version, military Corps of Drums style which hads no foot joint. But half a cake etc....Has anyone got one of these that could send some pics please of especially, the foot and keys? A long shot but maybe in the box of parts lurks the missing part & would wish to sell? Anyone who has one I would like to touch base with, sadly I can't post pics....yet:-)).....oakleaves@gmx.net
LorenzoFlute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: SOS Boosey & Co F flute x8 keyed

Post by LorenzoFlute »

This is the flute:

Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Thanks Lorenzo, would you post the foot joint pics maybe some one knows what maker that is from please?
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Neil B wrote:Thanks Lorenzo, would you post the foot joint pics maybe some one knows what maker that is from please?
Sure :wink:

Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Neil - trying to be a bit more helpful than I could over the weekend - except I don't think this will help all that much...... As the photos below will show, you simply can't go all that much on style of keys or even rings in trying to attribute flutes to different makers, or at least to business names as stamped. It may well be that particular out-workers are responsible for similar things showing up with diffeent "maker" stamps!

Anyway, compare your mystery footjoint in detail with these 4 flutes I have to hand - two are by Hawkes and in Eb, one of which is pillar mounted, the other block mounted, the former with two body joints ("Rudall style"), the latter with one body joint ("Pratten style"). The other two flutes, both D concert flutes, have near as dammit identical foot keys, down to the asymmetrical Eb key. One (the "Rudall style" one) is stamped "Butler" and the other ("Pratten style") is anonymous - totally unstamped. However, the latter's tone-hole spacing and sizing is identical to the Butler despite the different body-type, although it has a much shorter head/sounding length!!!).

L-R: Butler D, Anon D, Hawkes & Son 1st Class Eb, Hawkes & Son Eb - 2 shots from different angles:

Bottom to top: Butler D, Anon D, Hawkes & Son 1st Class Eb, Hawkes & Son Eb.

Overall, all 4 I've illustrated are very similar indeed to your mystery foot, give or take a few details, but I think I've made the point that you simply could not reliably, or even tentatively attribute any of them to a particular marque on the basis of the key-style!
(I have not examined the undersides of the keys of any of them for stamps.)
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Thanks for taking the time on the pics Jem, The Hawkes 1st class Eb keys stand out as their's as does the bottom ring so could be ID easily by a train-spotter. The bottom ring on the other Hawkes looks the same as mine but the key form is completely different , the other two look close but as they are not in pillers makes it hard to see properly. the broad ring at the top of mine I hoped someone would recognise? I have a RC Bb bass with this wide ring but the key pad cups are cast on the mystery foot not soldered I believe.

So maybe someone will spot & advise, also hoping for a pic on the B&C F bottom end.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

OK, try adding this to the mix:

4 Eb flutes (aligned by C# hole), from top:
Hawkes & Son Crown AZ band flute (stripped for overhaul/repair)
Hawkes & Son First Class (awaiting restoration)
Boosey & Co. #15193 in Ebonite (playable but needs overhaul)
Besson & Co. #10921 (overhauled & playable)

.....and some detail of the Boosey (presumably a pretty late, well into the C20th one, when they'd given up stamping Pratten's name on, but were still making essentially the same flutes....), which is my main point here. There are some differences, but also some good similarities to your footless F as well as comparisons with the mystery foot..

I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Well nearly x300 folk had a peek but noone with an B&Co F flute it seems:-((

Thanks Lorenzo for the pics help and Jem for your great pics from your collection. I see you have one of those poor men's antiques... a simple system band flute LoL. Interestingly from the pic of your Boosey I see the D# key (oh yes it is:-) is on its own and not in the cluster. So this gives me a chance to maybe knock up a smaller foot joint to include this key on its own? I'll ask you later IF....for dimensions if I may, please? All I need to do is find a solo key in the same cup style....anyone out there that has any keys from Boosey's flutes hopefully will contact me?
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Neil B wrote:Well nearly x300 folk had a peek but noone with an B&Co F flute it seems:-((

Thanks Lorenzo for the pics help and Jem for your great pics from your collection. I see you have one of those poor men's antiques... a simple system band flute LoL. Interestingly from the pic of your Boosey I see the D# key (oh yes it is:-) is on its own and not in the cluster. So this gives me a chance to maybe knock up a smaller foot joint to include this key on its own? I'll ask you later IF....for dimensions if I may, please? All I need to do is find a solo key in the same cup style....anyone out there that has any keys from Boosey's flutes hopefully will contact me?
Oh, would a Boosey F 8-key image work? Here's one in an old thread, bottom of photo:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80857&p=1010642&hil ... s#p1010642

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Thanks Kevin that's twice you've assisted me:-))

Although the flute you directed me to has blocks for mounting I see the key position and syle is the same as Jem's. It would have taken Sherlock "Holmes" to find that old thread LoL. So again maybe some one has a loose foot joint for sale or trade or just that important D# key? If so I could marry a shortened bottom hopefully? Thanks again for your help.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

A Boosey F can be a pretty rare enough find (Norman Holmes' sounds especially nice, though it's block-mounted), so I think it doubtful there's a loose unattributed foot joint lingering around. It could well be worth having one made, with or without that 6th key. That's the kind of job Jon C. (here in California) might be suited for, but I'm sure there are other makers who could fit one. Probably follow the taper of the original, socket to match your final tenon, trim to get the bell note right, rings to match, place and size the closed key. However, I'm sure any restorer would want the rest of the flute to be working with.
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Sounds easy:-)) I'm not into these more than x6 keyed flutes (I 'eard zat DunnP:-) I'm after the Drums styled x5 or 6 keyed only, it was a surprise to find out that this was an F flute after all, which is on my list of flutes I need to replace the stolen ones, see old and stored WTB O'opps UIE board etc. As you see above I have a spare foot joint unknown by whom ar the moment, so the chances are maybe someone else in their box of bits, might have one or the key....we can only live in hope.