windward flutes in nova scotia?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
scattering_mud
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

windward flutes in nova scotia?

Post by scattering_mud »

does anyone know these flutes? they look to be nicely made. pratten keyless not cheap at $1,600.

http://windwardflutes.com/#/TheMakers
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: windward flutes in nova scotia?

Post by kkrell »

They are indeed beautifully made flutes, of tasteful appearance, with tremendous attention to detail. The main website home page is actually http://windwardflutes.com. Hanz Araki currently plays one, as does their consultant Andrea Bohnet. Forbes Christie has a lot of experience from many years of silver Boehm flutemaking in Boston, and Yola I suppose is responsible for the silver keywork. You might find their combo D/Eb design a better buy if you need that capability. I tried a number of their flutes at a National Flute Association convention, and found them very decent instruments. However, I already have a few wonderful flutes already, so no cause for me to switch. If you have a chance to try them yourself at any of the conventions or workshops/camps where they exhibit, see if they suit you. I don't know what has initially attracted you to those particular instruments, but there are also plenty of other good flute makers around to consider, too, each perhaps as appealing in their own way.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I've long admired the pictures of their olivewood flutes with wooden rings. Stunningly beautiful.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Thomaston wrote:I've long admired the pictures of their olivewood flutes with wooden rings. Stunningly beautiful.
I had wondered how they could use wood, but see now that there is carbon fiber thread underneath to support.
crickett

Post by crickett »

They are very nice flutes, and very beautiful to look at. One thing that is nice is that if you can make to a place where he is (such as a festival) you can try a bunch of different flutes to find one that suits you best. I almost bought one at Boxwood a couple of years ago, but couldn't justify it after spending the money to get to Nova Scotia for week. :sniffle:
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

kkrell wrote:
Thomaston wrote:I've long admired the pictures of their olivewood flutes with wooden rings. Stunningly beautiful.
I had wondered how they could use wood, but see now that there is carbon fiber thread underneath to support.
I didn't realize that, but it makes sense.
birdman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by birdman »

I have a Windward keyless D in mopane. It is indeed a beautifully made flute. In my hands it is capable of a very reedy tone (or not), compared to two other flutes that I play - Copley D in blackwood and a McGee Rudall Refined (blackwood). Also louder than the Copley/Mcgee. Forbes and Yola at Windward are tremendous to deal with - when I first inquired about a flute 2 yrs ago, they had two which fit my interests, so they sent both to test drive so I could pick my favorite (or not). I kept one, which I play almost daily. Also, after a year or so, they will 'overhaul' your flute, including polishing, re-wrapping tenons and any tweaking they, or you fell necessary. Very nice folks. I'm dreaming of a keyed, in olive wood.
patience, young grasshopper
Peewit

Post by Peewit »

I play a Windward keyless D in pau rosa, a reddish wood they are no longer able to get. I bought it at Boxwood in 2007 and it's a wonderful instrument. They made me a new centre joint to better suit my small hands, and now will custom-make for anyone with a hand issue. Last year Forbes re-cut the embouchure hole for me, to get a louder sound. Forbes and Yola are meticulous craftspeople who love flutes and love making great flutes. :love:

If you haven't seen the new website, it's worth checking. Here's a video from the website, of Sylvain Barou trying out their various flutes at Boxwood in 2011: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... -Yo_hZOeDo
"Learn what pleases you, learn what feels good, and don't play it too fast." Gary Hastings
ChrisCracknell

Post by ChrisCracknell »

Here's a link to a review that I posted a while back of my keyless D Blackwood windward flute. I can play it a bit better now and I am playing it in my clips below. Any mistakes are mine, not the flutes. My ability to judge flutes has also changed a bit in the last four years, but the flute in question is still my favourite flute.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=52877

I will replace the flute in the next couple of years with a keyed one, also from Windward - it is already ordered. I will however probably keep the keyless because I love it.

Forbes and Yola are also very good to deal with. Talking to them about flutes is well worth while doing.
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

First post here, as good a place as any to jump in, I guess. I bought a Windward as my very first Irish flute, about a year and a half ago. I once owned a Gemeinhardt silver Boehm flute 30-some years ago, but I never spent much time with it. I was able to get a tone, and play a few tunes, but I've basically been a fretted instrument player all my life.

I've been playing Irish 'trad for about six years now, mainly on mandolin. I wanted to try learning flute as an additional instrument, because it has so much more potential for ornaments. I did some research on Irish flutes.... spent months hemming and hawing... and finally just decided to jump on a blackwood keyless Windward D that was listed at the Irish Flute Store. It was a bit less expensive back then, compared to the current pricing (and it included the case, which is well worth it).

When buying instruments in the past, I've always tried to buy something "better than I was", so I'd have no excuses when learning. That was a big consideration in choosing the Windward instead of working my way up from something less expensive. I also wanted a flute that I could eventually use in local sessions, which tend to be fairly loud. And frankly, the visual appeal probably had something to do with it. It's a gorgeous flute, in a way that's hard to explain because the aesthetics are so simple.

Anyway, I've been very happy with this flute and glad I made the choice before the price went up. I was able to get a strong low D right away. The last year has been spent trying to improve my embouchure for the upper octave. On some days it's not too bad, on other days I sound like a steam Calliope whistle. But it's coming along. It's a loud flute, compared to others I've heard locally. The volume cuts both ways, because I can't hide behind it in a session. When I screw up, you hear it!

I'd love to own a keyed Windward at some point in the future, but I feel that I have to deserve it by playing better, first.