Adding post-mounted keys to a flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Feadogmhor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Adding post-mounted keys to a flute

Post by Feadogmhor »

Hi all,
I currently own a flute with block-mounted B-flat, G-sharp, long F and short E-flat. I have now decided that I would like C natural and short F keys, but there are no blocks left for these. I really like the flute, so I was investigating adding post mounted C and short F keys onto this flute- does anyone have any experience or reccomendations regarding this?
Thanks,
Feadogmhor
jim stone

Re: Adding post-mounted keys to a flute

Post by jim stone »

Will you say who made your flute?
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Maurice Reviol will add post mounted keys, but I'd check with the original maker, first, to see if they'll do it. It's always nice to get permission to have someone else add keys to your flute, but ultimately it's your flute to "renovate" as you see fit.

Eric
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Sort of like purchasing the mona lisa and painting a mustache on it.
Ultimately the painting belongs to you to renovate as you see fit.
FascinatedWanderer

Post by FascinatedWanderer »

Except, unlike paintings, flutes are meant to have practical utility. So the analogy fails.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The reasoning appears to be that if you own it it's yours to alter as you please.
That applies to artworks too. It applies to anything you own.

'Also some things meant to have practical utility are also art works; so if I purchase
a Cellini vase its mine to renovate as I please. After all, it's
a useful thing.

And if we make an exception for artworks, some flutes are art works.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

It is possible to add Block mount keys, the block can be cut into the flute body. It is hard to tell it is not original...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

Casey Burns added post mounted keys to a flute I purchased from him; that's a service that he offers when you purchase one of his more expensive flutes (he, to the best of my knowledge, does not put keys on his Folk Flute). My experience--- well it's been great. I prefer the post mounted keys, I think that they don't get in the way of my fingers as much as the block mounted. Had six keys added and it's the best thing I've done. My flute looks and sounds beautiful!!! In addition, the turn around time was quick, only a couple of weeks. Oh, another thing, I haven't had a seconds problem with any of the keys. If I recall correctly, it's been well over a year since I had the keys added and I play the flute daily; point being, the keys really get a work out. :thumbsup:
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I have always found it interesting that people talk about adding keys, post-mounted or otherwise, but neglect to mention the added work of locating, drilling, sizing, surfacing and padding the additional holes, and how the original flute's operation might or might not be impacted.
Dominic Allan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dominic Allan »

I haven't noticed any difference in the playing characteristics of a flute after adding keys.
Personally I'll only do it if the original maker doesn't object. I also charge more and can't promise perfect results, one off modification of another makers flute takes longer and is effectively a prototype.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

jim stone wrote:The reasoning appears to be that if you own it it's yours to alter as you please.
Not in Canada, as affirmed in Snow v. The Eaton Centre Ltd. The principle at work seems to be prejudice to the honour or reputation of the creator of a work. I imagine that flutes would be covered.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Tunborough wrote:
jim stone wrote:The reasoning appears to be that if you own it it's yours to alter as you please.
Not in Canada, as affirmed in Snow v. The Eaton Centre Ltd. The principle at work seems to be prejudice to the honour or reputation of the creator of a work. I imagine that flutes would be covered.
Thank you. This is an interesting ruling. I don't know the legal situation in the USA or the UK or....
I, anyhow, distinguish between legal and moral rights. Under the American Constitution I have a legal right
to advocate that (forgive this) all Jews be liquidated. I cannot be punished or sued for asserting this
in a book or pamphlet. But my asserting this is morally despicable--I have a legal right, but not a moral right,
to assert anything.

I doubt that my renovating an Olwell (turning it into a large kazoo, for instance) without the maker's consent
is actionable under the law,
though possibly it is. I wasn't aware of any law that covers it and I doubt that the maker would take legal action.
But I do think it would be morally wrong, because it would 'compromise the artistic integrity' of what is plainly
an extraordinary piece of craftsmanship. Where there is a living maker who cares about what is done with his/her work, and plainly wishes its integrity to be preserved, I think (implicit in purchasing the instrument) is the responsibility to get consent.

I think sometimes people argue from the legal permissiblity of renovating flutes (supposing there is nothing illegal about it in the USA, for instance) to the moral permissiblity. Doesn't follow. When dealing with serious and accomplished craftsfolk,
we owe them more respect, I feel.
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

Kkrel: you make an interesting point and one of the reasons I selected Casey to make the flute . I had the opportunity to play it sans keys. After I had keys added I think it enhanced the sound. I reasoned that Casey wouldn't offer the addition of keys, post manufacture, if he felt there would be a chance of screwing up the flute. I even spoke with him on the phone, a couple of times, and he addressed my concerns to my satisfaction.
Feadogmhor

Post by Feadogmhor »

The flute is by David O'Brien. I really love this flute so that's why I wanted to add keys rather than buy a new one. I think I'll sell this one :cry: and order a six-keyed model. I disagree with Jim, there's a difference between public artwork which one could argue belongs to the world rather than any individual and my own flute, which is a personal belonging of mine.
psychih

Post by psychih »

Why don't you contact the maker and see what can be done? He could give you a keyed barrel and take the unkeyed one back, or you could just get a new keyed barrel and have two flutes with one head.