Besson Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
mousecorns
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Besson Flute

Post by mousecorns »

I recently bought an old rosewood 7-key pin-mounted simple system flute, in need of repair.
I don't have a good enough camera to capture the detail, but the inscription on the middle joint reads:
  • BESSON & Co.
    198 EUSTON ROAD
    LONDON
    ENGLAND
(headed with a flower motif and footed with a 5-pointed star)

Given the photos, the description and the serial number, can anyone tell me when this flute was made? I have searched online for Besson serial numbers, have only been able to find those for brass instruments.

This page http://www.wildwinds.co.uk/index_files/page0009.htm shows a similar flute, but with 9 keys and no tuning slide, serial# 1234, dated 1869-1919. I can probably safely say that my flute was built during the same period, but it would be good to narrow the margin a bit, if possible.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Last edited by mousecorns on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
mousecorns

Re: Besson Flute

Post by mousecorns »

an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Potentially a good flute. A little more information will help us to help you. It appears that the lower mid-joint tenon is reinforced and has a metal tenon protecting ring, no? Does the corresponding socket have a metal reinforcement? It appears the upper mid-joint tenon is missing the corresponding metal reinforcing ring. Does the tuning barrel socket have metal reinforcing? Is the Head fully or partially lined? Can you determine if the head joint crown is wood or perhaps some form of Bakelite type plastic? Can you tell if the key axles have screw heads?
Can you tell by close examination if the springs are attached to the key with screws? And finally can you see little metal inserts the springs ride on??
Note to Jem: this appears, at first glance very like my Douglas flute, built in France and sold in England.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
mousecorns

Post by mousecorns »

This is great, Bob - just the kind of reply I wanted.
  • -You're right about the reinforcing ring on the lower mid-joint tenon; there is no metal reinforcing in the socket.

-There is, as you point out, no reinforcing ring on the upper mid-joint tenon, but there is one inside the corresponding socket of the tuning barrel.

-The head is fully lined.

-The head joint crown looks very much like bakelite (although I would have to cut a piece off it to be 100% certain)

-The two long keys (F-natural and high C-natural? I'm new to keyed flutes) have the springs screwed on. On the 3 short keys on the mid-joint, the attachment points are hidden by the corks, so I can't be sure; they each have a little dark dot above the attachment point, which suggests they might be riveted.

-The free ends of the springs do indeed ride on metal inserts.

-The rod mounted keys on the foot joint use a different spring system - simple straight wire springs, wrapped around the mounting pins at one end and passing through an eyed pin on the rotating tube at the other.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Great. These elements all point to a higher grade of French Manufacture. The fully lined head inclines me to think this flute was made for the English market. The French habitually used Cocus wood, calling it Palisander. The apparently smaller embouchure or tone-hole also speaks to French origin. Also the single mid-joint strongly suggests this flute was meant for the English market.
Can you sound this flute? If you can, at what extension of the tuning slide can you achieve a note approaching A=440 Hz? This flute may approach a modern tuning scheme. The indicator for this will be the absence of any appreciable flat foot on the D, if you can sound it. The other bonus will be that you can use relatively modern clarinet pads to easily re-pad it.
Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
mousecorns

Post by mousecorns »

I can sound the flute if I tape over the split that runs the length of the barrel. :) It gives 440Hz with the slide extended about 11mm (without having warmed it up). I can't sound anything below A at the moment, partly due to ill-seated or absent pads, partly because I'm not much of a flute player.

The wood looks very much like E. Indian rosewood to me, but it could be cocus wood - I haven't got any samples to compare with.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Yes. This flute will in all probability be well worth fixing up. The barrels have a
depressing habit of splitting. A normally fairly easy fix, except for the French
habit of flaring both ends of the tuning slide to mechanically stake
the receiving tube in place. Modern adhesives eliminate this need.
The flute I have is well in tune and responsive at modern pitch. The
harmonics speak freely are well in tune. The bottom notes are loud
and responsive, and of course the Boehm (sorry Jem, no umlauts )
style rod and axle foot is easily managed.
Where are you located?
Bob

Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
mousecorns

Post by mousecorns »

Thanks very much for all your help. I'm in Llanidloes, Mid Wales - quite a long way from Xanadu.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

:D Yes, quite a long way! However, not that far, at least as we 'Murcans reckon distance, from a member here, jemtheflute, who is also in Wales. He is a wealth of information and DIY advice for fixing up flutes. He may be of material aid as well. .
Jem, really, I am surprised you haven't chimed in up to this point. Hmm, you must be very busy with your "real" life :D
Ah well, I expect he will be by shortly. . . . :poke:

Bob

Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Patience, patience! :poke: Yur I be. Was in work all day Weds and at a session in Chester last night, so not online, and having a lie-in this-morning. :) Now making my first chiff-check of the day. Will look at photos and comment sensibly later. Llandidloes isn't very far from me (near Wrexham) - about an hour and a half's drive...... maybe a little less, c55 miles but on slow roads.

Welcome, mousecorns. You could fetch it to visit..... and get in a session too - Dolgellau Welsh sesh next Weds, or Selattyn (mostly ITM, near Oswestry) every Thurs, though I'm not attending the latter regularly these days, so let me know.......
Do you know "Cornelius" from Llanidloes?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
mousecorns

Post by mousecorns »

Hi Jem.
I can go one better than that - I am Cornelius from Llanidloes. How's that for a claim to fame? I'd love to get to the Dolgellau session again sometime - it's been too long - but, unfortunately, Wednesday evenings are usually taken up.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

mousecorns wrote:Hi Jem.
I can go one better than that - I am Cornelius from Llanidloes. How's that for a claim to fame? I'd love to get to the Dolgellau session again sometime - it's been too long - but, unfortunately, Wednesday evenings are usually taken up.
Ace! Hi David.
Well, if you can make it to Selattyn sometime soon, let me know and I'll go along.
I can help with a little more info on Besson - on my Facebook there are some photos of New Langwill index entries for the firm. It had a complicated history and I don't think you're going to narrow down a date much. The flute is certainly French or heavily influenced in many details of the manufacturing, but could still have been made in London - perhaps by French craftsmen.

I have two Besson flutes here at present - one, a Tulou "flûte perfectionée" from the French F Besson Paris branch of the firm and detailed in this FB photo album, which includes images of the Langwill Index entries for the firm. The other is an 8-key simple system Eb flute from the Besson & Co. London branch of the firm (it has the 184 Euston Rd address, the flourished capital B and 5-point star stamps and serial no. 10921. The keys are somewhat different in style from yours, but typically French on an otherwise Pratten-ish, large-holed English type flute. I haven't done a full photo set of it, but it is the bottom flute shown in this FB picture of a bunch of Eb flutes. The long F key on yours with the reversed spring looks quite like that on the Boosey & Co in that shot! Unfortunately FB-uploaded photos can't be displayed here on C&F, so you'll have to follow the links.

OP's photo!

What is the sounding length of your flute (embouchure centre to foot end, slide closed?)

Couple of other points - the "flower" stamp isn't - it's a very fancily curlicued capital B. The black dots in the touch surfaces of the smaller keys will be the ends of spring screws, not rivets, almost certainly. It's an 8-key flute, not 7.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Maybe a Welsh or nearbye thing (Jem)....has the flute x7 keys or provision x8? I recently bought a flute that was supposed to have x6 keys and it had only ever x5 LoL.
mousecorns

Post by mousecorns »

What is the sounding length of your flute (embouchure centre to foot end, slide closed?)
The sounding length is 568mm
the "flower" stamp isn't - it's a very fancily curlicued capital B.
Yes, I can see that now.
The black dots in the touch surfaces of the smaller keys will be the ends of spring screws, not rivets, almost certainly.
I bow to your superior knowledge. I assumed, because they were ground and polished perfectly flush with the keys, that they must be rivets, but I suppose there's no reason why screws couldn't be similarly ground and polished.
It's an 8-key flute, not 7.
I must have been counting the two lowest keys (C# and C?) as one.
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

an seanduine wrote: The French habitually used Cocus wood, calling it Palisander.
Bob
Now i got confused, I thought Palisander = Palo Santo = Lignum Vitae?
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood