Book about history of the uilleann pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Nic

Book about history of the uilleann pipes

Post by Nic »

Hi,

Do you guys know a good book about the history of the UP ?

Nic
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: Book about history of the uilleann pipes

Post by PJ »

O'Neill's Irish Minstrels and Musicians has a lot of history of pipers and harpers. It's hard to find a printed copy but Bill Haneman and some friends put the text online (it was written 100 years ago and so is now in the public domain).

http://billhaneman.ie/history.html
PJ
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

I ordered a copy via Google Books for somewhere around $10. It's a facsimile edition, so some of the pages are hard to read.
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

There is a second book by O'Neill.. actually it came before Irish Minstrels and Musicians... and is called "Irish Folk Music, a fascinating hobby" fisrt published in 1910... it also contains "O'Farrell's tretise on the Irish or Union pipes" and "Touhey's hints to amateur pipers".
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

http://books.google.com/books/about/Iri ... gtAAAAYAAJ

http://books.google.com/books?id=mxk9AA ... &q&f=false

You should be able to follow links on the left to buy a hardcopy. I was just doing some research using the second one this past weekend - ask bensdad :D
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

...looking for wardrobe tips?

tk
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
NicoMoreno

Post by NicoMoreno »

No... perhaps once completed (for which I am in need of bensdad's help) I'll share it with you!
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

It's in the back issues of An Píobaire, Iris na bPíobairí, the journals of the Seán Reid Society. Maybe some of it went by here over the years, too.

I've always thought a coffee table book on the pipes would be great. Name your price. Heard that Chicago piper Jim Maguire had an interest in such - but only on the Taylor brothers' work. Which would be great, but a bit like a book on the history of the car that had nothing but Chevys.

Maybe a website? Collate photos of the old sets, stories, bios. Links to info contained elsewhere. Recordings.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Interesting idea Kevin ;)
reedbiter

Post by reedbiter »

I've been entertaining thoughts of writing a book for years. But I'm afraid that there are such better minds suited to the task.

I'm a historian and have written articles for journals, but I've always been deeply fascinated with the old sets. I'm fascinated by the evolution of the instrument and associated instruments and the history and stories of the individual old sets.

I'm also intrigued by the number of sets that seem to be languishing in various places throughout the world. It's more of a selfish endeavor really, but I'd desperately LOVE to get my hands on as many old sets as I can to record dimensions and specifics etc. I've been blessed with the opportunities to examine Coyne, Rowsome, R. Reid, Harrington and others and it thrills the pipemaker and the historian in me, I've actually re-reeded a r. reid boxwood set and been the first to play it in over 100 years. It seems to me that too many of these sets are sitting namelessly in boxes in the "misc. woodwind" section of some museum somewhere.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nic wrote:Do you guys know a good book about the history of the UP ?
Not as such, but think you might find the Pastoral and Union Pipe chapters of Hugh Cheape's National Museums Scotland book interesting/relevant.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:Interesting idea Kevin ;)
No no, a real website. :wink: :wink:

uilleannobsession.com's a start, sure. Good nostalgia value as well. 45k jpgs that open in their own popup window? It's like it's 2003 again! Mission Accomplished! :party:

Maybe an uilleann pipes website ring? Then we can pine for 1996, urgh... :really:
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

To make the book complete there could be chapters on players and pipemakers, to carry on where O'Neill left off.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Nic wrote:Hi,

Do you guys know a good book about the history of the UP ?

Nic
There really isn't one that I know of, and perhaps a good one could not be written.

I say that because "history" is, strictly speaking, based on written accounts and/or documentation (as opposed to folklore) and there has been nothing that I know of written or documented about the origin and development of the uilleann pipes, or indeed about any sort of bagpipe.

I just read through the chapter in Irish Minstrels and Musicians and O Neill really says nothing about the history of the uilleann pipes.

What he says about the origin of the bagpipe as a whole is the typical folklore for which there is no actual evidence, such as

"The bagpipe belonged to the Celts, and its existence can be traced to their colonies all the way from ancient Scythia via the Black Sea, and the Mediterranean to the shores of Britain."

This is utter nonsense. The fact that O Neill regards Grattan Flood as the great expert on bagpipe history tells you all you need to know.

Since there's no historical (written) account, another approach is Hugh Cheape's, which is to look at the actual surviving instruments in museums and see what they have to tell us.

About the "pastoral" bagpipe he says

"Surveys of collections in museums in the UK might give an impression of the Pastoral bagpipe being the National Instrument (of Scotland, as opposed to the Highland pipe), such is the wealth of the material evidence...the Pastoral pipe is a musicological enigma with very little information on its emergence, no clear chronology of this process, and minimal information on its makers... there is no clear evidence on where this instrument may have first been made or by whom... without exception the earliest surviving instruments carry no makers' mark... The assumption has been that the Lowland pipe was a precursor of the Pastoral pipe although the evidence for this is meager... the Pastoral pipe was still being made in Scotland in the early 19th century, a generation or two after the Union pipe evolved sui generis."

About the Union pipe of the late 18th and early 19th century, many surviving instruments are marked and the list might surprise some:

Malcolm MacGregor, London
John Dunn, Michael Dunn, Newcastle
Robert Reid, James Reid, North Shields
J Massie, Aberdeen
James Sharp, Aberdeen
John Naughtan, Aberdeen
Hugh Robertson, Edinburgh
Bannon, Edinburgh
Robert Scott, London
Nicholas Kerr, Edinburgh
Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh
James Kenna, Dublin

Obviously Union pipes were being widely made in Britain, the centres being Aberdeen, Edinburgh, London, and Newcastle.

There are mentions of Union pipers performing in the late 18th and early 19th century at venues connected with Scottish Highland Gaelic culture, such as

-The Highland Society of London (pipers included Richard Fitzmaurice, Patrick O Farrell, John Murphy, John MacGregor, Dennis Courtney, Malcolm MacGregor, and James McDonnell)

-The Perth Gaelic Society (Malcolm MacGregor on Highland pipes, Union pipes, flageolet, and German Flute)

-The Aberdeen Highland Society
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

The idea of an e-book on pipes and piping is very attractive. Here's a lovely (free) e-book on the musical instruments collection of the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, that demonstrates the potential of the medium. North-east tionól attendees will recognize Neil MacMillan demonstrating the Northumbrian pipes. I know they have Uilleann pipes (BK did a demo a few years back), but they're unfortunately not featured.

Musical Instruments by Darcy Kuronen
https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/musica ... 1271?mt=11