bass regulator detachable?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
DjUntzUntz
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

bass regulator detachable?

Post by DjUntzUntz »

Hey guys,

I was wondering something. Is it possible to detach the bass regulator from the uillleann pipes or is it 'stuck' on the drone stock? Perhaps somebody could
tell me how it exactly works. If it's not detachable, then how do you get it in a case?

Kind regards
Mr.Gumby

Re: bass regulator detachable?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Some makers use a detachable bass bar. A simple slide. Very handy. Otherwise you need a long case.
My brain hurts

geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

Some people do make 'detachable Bass Regulators'... in fact the earliest Bass Regulators did slide off the Mainstock.... however later on when the Concert Pitched pipes came into vogue this detaching of the B.R. went out of fashion.. perhaps due to the Taylor Turnaround B.R Top or because the generally shorter Bass reg. requiered a shorter case.

Often pipers take the Reed Cap off the Bass Reg and remove the reed to a safe place before putting their set in a case of a more reasonable length.

With the Detachable B.Reg the lower section slides off ( as with the non detachable kind) and then the upper part slides out of its containment 'rail'... the idea is that each section (including the main body with the other two regs and drones) is not longer than the chanter with its Wind cap... and all will fit into a short case... my C set case is 66cm (26 inches) long Inside.
DjUntzUntz

Post by DjUntzUntz »

Thank you both for answering my question. Also thanks Geoff for your detailed explanation about how this works for the bass regulator, you're always a great help for me. Thanks :-)
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

Often pipers take the Reed Cap off the Bass Reg and remove the reed to a safe place before putting their set in a case of a more reasonable length
Yes but risky in a hurried putting away of the pipes after a session with one too many beers.

Have seen a set where the reed cap could be removed but had a secondary tube inside that was just a fraction longer than the reed leaving it protected - saved a few inches. from memory it was an Alfie Kennedy set

At least two makers, David Quinn is one (Pat D'Arcy's set) but cannot remember who the other is (saw it in the pictures of your pipes thread) make a fancy clip arrangement to hold it in place

John
RobBBQ
Tell us something.: Drum maker and music enthusiast who also has a day job. Hoping to learn more about music and instruments on the forum!

Post by RobBBQ »

Michael Hubbert has added a clever tuning slide to this bass regulators where the bass bar itself can be lengthened or shortened to tune. There are index markings on the bar as well. The whole of the bar then can be removed for storage in a case, the reed never being exposed.
m coulter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by m coulter »

DjUntzUntz

Post by DjUntzUntz »

Looks very nice Marcus :-).
JR

Post by JR »

Chris Bayley had made my set with a few interesting tweaks here and there to make it more suitable for travel.

and http://uilleann-pipes.co.uk/page11.html
The bass bar is detachable, has two 'keys' to keep it in place while playing and a small notch to align.
RobBBQ
Tell us something.: Drum maker and music enthusiast who also has a day job. Hoping to learn more about music and instruments on the forum!

Post by RobBBQ »

Hi Marcus- Here is Michael Hubbert's version, very similar to yours.