Jackie Boyce bag styles

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
MarcusR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Jackie Boyce bag styles

Post by MarcusR »

Hi!
I have a spare chanter and bellows that I would like to turn into a practice set and I'm just about to order a bag from Jackie.
Would appreciate any input on the different models.

Cheers!

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
andymay

Re: Jackie Boyce bag styles

Post by andymay »

Hi

I have his Rowsome-type model on my pipes.

It's quite big and rectangular.

It's good.

He generally leaves the neck on the long side so you can experiment chopping a bit off.

Hope that helps
A
Titus
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Titus »

Hi,

I think, this is a very important topic. I also looked for Jackie Boyce' bags.

But how is the quality of this bags compared to the bags, you get with your set by the UP-maker? Are they very different/better?

Best Regards,
Marcel
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

Who knows what bag your pipe-maker supplied. Some use Jackie's bags and some don't. They are hand stitched from good leather and are of the highest quality.
Derrick Gleeson

Post by Derrick Gleeson »

I use Jackie's bags and never had a problem, always airtight and very well made.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I use the Cillian O'Briain ("pig under the arm" ;-) ) style and it's great. I can be lazy and flop backward in my chair every now and again because it doesn't stick out behind me. Ditto on the neck length; it's crazy-long. But I ran a shoulder strap under the mainstock, and now I'm used to it. Anyway, I've had it for 4 years of pretty hard playing and it's still good and airtight.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Hi and thanks for the input!
Good to hear that everyone seems to be very satisfied with Mr. Boyce’s work. :thumbsup:
I was wondering about the different styles as I got the impression from the short descriptions and the references to the different makers, that the Ginsberg and Wooff styles were suited for swan-neck chanter tops while the Standard and Rowsome would be for straight air inlet chanter tops? The O’Briain style got me a bit confused as the neck shape looks very curved on the image? I tried to find some clips or images of pipers that play Cillians pipes but they all seem to use standard type of bags. I guess I must have missed yours Cathy :wink: . I’m still leaning towards to give it a try.

/M
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
amckay

Post by amckay »

His workmanship is very good and the bags are high quality.

I have to disagree about the above post re neck length. I ordered a bag for my Wooff Bb set and specifically requested a longer neck as it was for said set. Neck length was about the same as my concert pitch set. I'll be using this bag as a replacement for CP set when the time comes and I know it will do the job superbly. Unfortunately back to square 1 with the Bb set...
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

amckay wrote:His workmanship is very good and the bags are high quality.

I have to disagree about the above post re neck length. I ordered a bag for my Wooff Bb set and specifically requested a longer neck as it was for said set. Neck length was about the same as my concert pitch set. I'll be using this bag as a replacement for CP set when the time comes and I know it will do the job superbly. Unfortunately back to square 1 with the Bb set...

Usually the Boyce bags in my patern have a 'back' length of 29", which should be enough for a Bb chanter with a swanneck feed.... but I would order a longer neck ( say 31") to be double sure, especially if it was for a tall person.

This patern was copied from two original 19th Century bags that were attached to my Harrington set and the John Wayland Egan Bb set.