Learning with Sound stretching software... Possible?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ennischanter
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Learning with Sound stretching software... Possible?

Post by ennischanter »

Software to stretch/slow-down music so you can hear all of the little gracenotes 'n' stuff.

Would this be a possible method to help learn techniques and other tunes?
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
geoff wooff

Re: Learning with Sound stretching software... Possible?

Post by geoff wooff »

Yes indeed it would.
There are much better things around these days to help the musician learn tunes and subtleties.

Take the old times; when you'd need to come up on a musician from behind, so's he would not see you as you listened intently to his tune as you tried to learn it and memorise it, at full speed.

Or when I started and was trying to learn tunes, phrase by phrase, lifting the needle off the record (vinyl) and nudging it back a couple of grooves to try to find a missing note.

Fast forward to the late 1970's, when I bought a four speed Reel-to-Reel tape deck (in a Junk shop), with the idea of playing Ennis and Clancy at half (or quarter) speed , so's I could hear what they were doing... This was very helpfull indeed. So then I knew what I was listening to and moved on to stage four.

Stage Four; I played cassette recordings of my favourite pipers, ALL DAY LONG, whilst I worked... eventually the penny would drop on a new tune and I'd rush into the house (yes I work at home) and grab my pipes, return to the workshop and play the new tune Verbatim (well, pretty close to verbatim)!

Nowadays you can download a thing that will slow the tune without changing the pitch, or you can then tune-in the recording to play along with it, at any desired pace.

Someone will be along soon to tell you which are today's most usefull 'slowdowners'.

Have fun,
Geoff.
PadraigB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by PadraigB »

Audacity is a comprehensive and free piece of software that will allow you to slow down/change pitch/etc, plus there is a build for the main operating systems.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

The Amazing Slow-downer is a wonderful app. I use it on my iPhone for slowing things down and pitch changing. Marvelous!
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

I have gotten a sound stretching software called paulstretch, very nice software!
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

bobkeenan

Post by bobkeenan »

I use Tempo, an Iphone app. It can slow tunes down, change pitch, continuously cycle around a hard part. And you can put together play lists. It can pull tunes off the iphones music library or from the computer, wifi connection, dropbox, or you can record right into it. I have been learning tunes first at the slowest tempo and then i keep increasing tempo till I get to 100%. If i get to a rough spot, i set up a loop, and practice that section till i get it. Its painful but it works.
ennischanter

Post by ennischanter »

Thanks, I'll look for that one....

myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

I use mplayer for this, and this is my one-liner:

Code: Select all

mplayer -af scaletempo file_example.wav
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I recall hearing or reading that Seamus Ennis and his father would slow down 78s of Patsey Touhy to try work out how he played certain ornamentations. Now that's Audacity. :wink:
PJ
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

wow totally forgot audacity did that...
just tested, and it's a great thing...

what a killer (free) application
Brazenkane
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Brazenkane »

I've been using ASD (Amazing Slow Downer) since it first came out. I reckon I've used it over 10,000xs (or MUCH more) at this stage for transcriptions of many different instruments. It's aces! My vote is for ASD!
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
ennischanter

Post by ennischanter »

Listening to a slowed down verson of Mr. Ennis playing the Bucks of Oranmore! :D

learnthegrip

Post by learnthegrip »

Another vote for ASD. I've used it on both desktop and iPhone and prefer the iPhone version. Add a Bluetooth head phone and you can play along on the pipes without drowning out the performance you're learning from.
Was that a groan or did I hear the Dingle bagpipes Wasting war and?
Finnegans Wake
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

I also heavily relied on Amazing Slow Downer to learn tunes.

Ideally, you want to be able to learn tunes when they're played at full speed. That is a pretty useful skill so you need not always rely 100% on the slow down software. Most mortals, of course, can't do this when they first start learning how to play. I got into the habit of decreasing the speed on ASD as minimally as I could get away with and still hear what was going on with the tune and gradually increasing the speeds at which I learned tunes. I still use the software sometimes, especially if learn a tune off a recording from someone like Frankie Gavin who plays at 110mph.

The caveat is that I don't feel that I learned much of my ornamentation off ASD. Slow down software isn't much good at helping you learn it if you are unsupported by real live musicians. Ornamentation can get distorted when you slow the track down too much. Most ornamentation, by its very nature, needs to be fast, i.e. tight triplets or backstitches or even basic cuts and taps, in order to sound right and make any kind of sense (Mr. Spear has told me that he heard an interview with Kevin Burke where he said something along the lines of, "No matter you say it, 'C-A-T' will never sound like 'cat'"). When it gets plugged into the slow down software, it therefore becomes incoherent. The more ornamentation/articulation someone plays with, the more difficult it is for the software to make sense of it. I think someone like Seamus Ennis who has pretty elaborate playing becomes nonsensical when slowed down too much with ASD.

I also think that you really ought to have someone show you the techniques and also, develop the ability to recognise what's happening in a recording. If you don't know what a backstitch or ghost D or whatever sounds like and how to play one, you'll struggle to pick it up from a recording, slow downer or no.
gwyatt

Post by gwyatt »

I've been using an Olympus digital stereo dictaphone for years to learn tunes .
It can slow down a tune to half speed while keeping the pitch or speed it up to twice the speed and it lets you repeat phrases over and over.
Its also very handy in a session for recording 'that tune you've always meant to learn'. With its built in USB connector its a doddle to upload recordings to your PC.
Takes up no space in my case, weighs next to nothing and is a fraction of the cost of an iphone