No TV for a week? AAARRRRGHHHH!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

No TV for a week? AAARRRRGHHHH!

Post by Nanohedron »

Yeah, yeah, read a book, I know. And I'll probably be driven to it, too. But Dear Lord in Heaven, a week before the repair guy comes, and I was supposedly given preference as a faithful (as in 20 years) customer, otherwise it would've been 2 weeks. Seriously, is this the best they could do for service in reward for loyalty? Grrr. It's already been three days. And how on Earth am I supposed to be expected to get my trash fix in the meantime? I'm missing all the best of Honey Boo Boo and Duck Dynasty and QVC. I shall die of real life. :waah:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: No TV for a week? AAARRRRGHHHH!

Post by benhall.1 »

QVC?!??!!!

:really:
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

You could change "service" providers faster than that. Forget the loyalty bit as they could care less and don't even look at it. Everytime I have problem I just tell'em I'm leaving and someone shows up quick. I've had them all switching thru the years. They all stink.

I didn't even know what Honey Boo Boo was until you mentioned it. Yikes, I've missed a lot I guess. :)

Now mess with my BBC Copper and I'm knocking on neighbors doors with my pillow in hand.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:QVC?!??!!!

:really:
Oh, so Honey Boo Boo is okay, then? Very well, Mr. Taste.

All that earlier was Yank irony, you know. I don't watch any of that dreck I mentioned.

Ohhh ... Lawrence Welk ... Man VS Food ... my life without them is bleak. So bleak.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

ytliek wrote:You could change "service" providers faster than that.
My provider is the only game in town, so long as we're talking cable. Otherwise I'd seriously play that angle. Given their monopoly, perhaps "loyalty" is the wrong word here.
ytliek wrote:Forget the loyalty bit as they could care less and don't even look at it.
Not true! He even said I was a loyal customer. I could hear him reading it from info off of his computer screen (you know the sound). I was the one going, "Whatever." He also gave me 3 months of HBO and Showtime free for having to be on the horn for almost 2 hours with 4 other additional people just trying to figure out what the problem was. It was a nice if futile gesture acknowledging there was a whiff of corporate blood in the water. I'm still going, "Whatever."

I've seen those networks' lineups before. It's highly doubtful I'll watch either one. In any case, I won't be able to watch 'em until the TV's fixed anyway, so that's X number of days of free channels down the toilet.
ytliek wrote:They all stink.
I would expect as much.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

o Since you live in an urban center, if you have a newer TV with a digital tuner you can probably get a dozen or more channels over the air with nothing more than a cheap rabbit-ears antenna. Just connect the antenna and allow the TV to scan for signals. You won't get Honey BooBoo, but there's plenty of other crap to watch.

o Try hulu.com. There's enough free programming to keep you lobotomized until the cable is fixed.

o 1) Empty picture frame. 2) Indulgent friends. 3) Puppets. You'll never notice the difference.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Um ... what's wrong with Here Comes Honey Boo Boo? :-? I've been taking it as a sort of idealised portrayal of American family values. Have I got that wrong?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

You, Sir Ben, are evil. :devil:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

MTGuru wrote:You, Sir Ben, are evil. :devil:
Who me?

Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:Um ... what's wrong with Here Comes Honey Boo Boo? :-? I've been taking it as a sort of idealised portrayal of American family values. Have I got that wrong?
Look, all I ever saw of it was the eponymous girl making fish faces at her poor disabled uncle, what was left of him, who was being conveyed in a toy wagon or something. It was quite enough. If I want cute and useless, I have my cat.
MTGuru wrote:o Since you live in an urban center, if you have a newer TV with a digital tuner you can probably get a dozen or more channels over the air with nothing more than a cheap rabbit-ears antenna. Just connect the antenna and allow the TV to scan for signals. You won't get Honey BooBoo, but there's plenty of other crap to watch.

o Try hulu.com. There's enough free programming to keep you lobotomized until the cable is fixed.

o 1) Empty picture frame. 2) Indulgent friends. 3) Puppets. You'll never notice the difference.
I decided to reacquaint myself with the Necronomicon. It put me to sleep. It's pretty hilarious reading, if you remember that it was a hoax.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:I decided to reacquaint myself with the Necronomicon. It put me to sleep. It's pretty hilarious reading, if you remember that it was a hoax.
Wow! That's a bit of a coincidence. Desperate for something to read, I just started re-reading "At the Mountains of Madness" only last night.

I wouldn't call The Necronomicon a "hoax". It was fictional, but no-one was supposed to believe that it wasn't.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:I wouldn't call The Necronomicon a "hoax". It was fictional, but no-one was supposed to believe that it wasn't.
Yeah, well, we know what happened with that one. People see it in my bookshelf and still get very nervous, thinking I've played a risk too far and am probably damned, not to mention food for the eldritch gibbering horrors waiting beyond the portals of madness.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Ouch. If only there were some sort of quasi-legal alternative.
Perhaps something that used the same pipe that delivers C&F?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

fearfaoin wrote:Ouch. If only there were some sort of quasi-legal alternative.
One friend said he would have threatened to sue, and that would have made them step smartly. I'm not cut out that way. It's not like I lost a body part in the process, although actually it did come kind of close when I was crawling around plugging and unplugging stuff at their direction. Suffice it to say (or, rather, understate) that I'm no spring chicken any more. The cable box did start making burning smells when I later tried to turn on the TV again on the off-chance that things might have fixed themselves. But I see no point in pursuing fire as a legal pretext, either.
fearfaoin wrote:Perhaps something that used the same pipe that delivers C&F?
My TV, land line, and internet are all bundled together. At least the phone still works so telemarketers and my mom can call me, and as you can see I still have the Web to fall back on. It's just the boob tube that's fizzled. Literally.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Nanohedron wrote:
fearfaoin wrote:Perhaps something that used the same pipe that delivers C&F?
My TV, land line, and internet are all bundled together. At least the phone still works so telemarketers and my mom can call me, and as you can see I still have the Web to fall back on. It's just the boob tube that's fizzled. Literally.
Exactly. Get thee to a bittorrent, says I.