Can you identify this Low D?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mikethebook
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Can you identify this Low D?

Post by Mikethebook »

Any ideas what this Low D whistle is please?

Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Can you identify this Low D?

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Ian Lambe or Cillian O'Briain? hard to tell without a closeup of the mouthpiece.
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

You think? I didn't think the shape of the curved bit below the window matched either make.
Lars Larry Mór Mott

Mikethebook wrote:You think? I didn't think the shape of the curved bit below the window matched either make.
To be honest i sold my O'Briain in the late 90's but it looks like it from memory. :)
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Well it was on eBay for £60, so if its either an O'Briain or a Lambe I don't think I got a bad price there for a tuneable whistle. The seller doesn't know what it is but says: "an unusual Low D whistle I picked up in Ireland a few years ago. No makers stamp so maker not known. The tone is like nothing I've heard before on a whistle. Haunting, powerful and very expressive. Best whistle I've played for slow airs."
Lars Larry Mór Mott

So you bought it? Congrats and hope it lives up to the sellers claims, although i would charge more for a whistle *that* good :)
As far as i can remember my O'Briain came sans any stamp or makers mark..
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Well, the jury is still out. I had a PM from someone who is pretty certain it was made by Phil Hardy though not one of his current whistles. For a better look at it, and listen, the seller provided this YouTube video: http://youtu.be/PnuLsQDUh2w. Does that help?
Last edited by Mikethebook on Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Try pulling the head all the way out and looking for etching (and check the inside of the bottom of the tube as well). I find it tough to believe that a whistle of this obvious quality doesn't have SOME sort of makers' mark on it!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Good idea, Pat. I will when it arrives. Thanks

Mike
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

It's definitely not a Lambe, unless the appearance was different at some point. The Lambe uses different looking aluminium than a Goldie or Chieftain. It is reflective and looks more like the aluminium on a Burke.
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Have you checked the video? The line around the slide and the fact that the slide is rounded suggest a Lambe to me now. On the other hand, the tone appears to be more complex than I would have anticipated with a Lambe, and I wouldn't regard a Lambe as being a powerful whistle as the seller suggests. Having watched the video, the person who thought it was by Phil Hardy has changed his mind, thinking that Phil's whistle would have had a brushed appearance. So I'm still none the wiser.
Lars Larry Mór Mott

Why do you reckon the Lambe not to have "complex tone"? Just curious as i have never heard one being played.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hmm, looks a lot like this one, doesn't it Mike?!:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=90388
~~~~
Barry
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

You're right, Barry. Looks like we've been here before.

Lars, from reviews and even from listening to a Lambe at one point it is supposed to have a much purer less complex tone. But looking back at the thread Barry suggested I'm increasingly wondering if it is in fact a Lambe.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Perhaps I should retract my statement, in this case. The one in the linked thread does indeed look like a Lambe. The tuning slide especially gives it away on that one.

Edit: Yeah, upon closer examination it looks like the tuning slide on that one has a little slit where it pushes up into the above part. I do think that is possibly a Lambe.

I should have looked more closely, as I think I was mistaken.

The picture does make the dimensions look somewhat differently though. I think they distort the size and colour a tad. In the picture it does also seem to have the tuning slide closer to the head than on mine, no logo on tuning slide, and the incline under the window looks to be at a different position. Anyone here play one of the older Lambes and can say if the appearance has changed at all?

I'd say you've come across a good find if you did get a Lambe for that price, Mike!