Narrow Bore D Set -- Recommended Makers

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
CaperMike
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Narrow Bore D Set -- Recommended Makers

Post by CaperMike »

Recommendations for narrow D chanter / full set designs and makers? Or better yet a well playing full set for sale?

Comments appreciated.

Thanks,

:) Mike
DjUntzUntz

Re: Narrow Bore D Set -- Recommended Makers

Post by DjUntzUntz »

Hey Mike,

Welcome to the forums. You already play any sort of pipes? or completely new when it comes to playing the pipes?

Perhaps you can give some information about what you are looking for and what your intentions are with playing.

There is a huge difference between just playing a chanter (practice set) or a full set. There are also quite a few makers around the world that you could approach
about a set of pipes. Where do you live? One of the advices for getting a set of uilleann pipes is to check which pipemakers are near you and could be of assistance to you.

Perhaps if we know a bit more about you people can direct you into the right directions :)

Kind regards
CaperMike

Post by CaperMike »

My background....

15+ piping, started with a David Daye Pennychanter, now playing a 3/4 set, chanter by Charles Roberts, bag/bellows by CJ Dixon, drones and 2 regs by Neil O'Grady.

Interest in a narrow bore D set....

1. My wide bore ("normal bore") set is too loud for playing at home and with my wife (harpist)
2. The mellower tone and reducing air flow requirements are appealing.
3. A D chanter is without the stretched fingers and difficulties in group playing of "flat pitched" chanters/sets.

Mike
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Don't presume that the NBD will draw less air or be quieter than a wide bore. As you probably, know, the reed will rule all.

Have you had the opportunity of trying any NBD chanters or sets?

Joe Kennedy makes a nice narrow bore D. So does Geoff Wooff but you'll probably have to wait a year or 20 for delivery.
PJ
allan moller
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by allan moller »

some weirdness with this thread.i have already posted a reply but it has not come up.anyway apart from the obvious choice of geoff woof,jim carroll of mansfield,nottinghamshire,gb.is a top man.if my post comes up sorry for this repost but jim is a sure fire bet.best,allan.
RobBBQ
Tell us something.: Drum maker and music enthusiast who also has a day job. Hoping to learn more about music and instruments on the forum!

Post by RobBBQ »

Geoff Wooff without hesitation. You will find narrow D sets from him available from time to time, perhaps there is still a set listed on the uilleannobession site? Otherwise perhaps Derrick Gleeson?
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

CaperMike wrote:
Interest in a narrow bore D set....

1. My wide bore ("normal bore") set is too loud for playing ... with my wife (harpist)
That's the A #1 reason I bought mine; my wife is a harpist also. Works very well playing with her too. The concert-pitch drones sound so good against the harp, and the chanter does not over-power the harp.

CaperMike wrote:2. The mellower tone and reducing air flow requirements are appealing.
Mellower tone for sure, but my Wooff NBD set does not use any less air than my 3/4 flat set (when not using the regs anyway).
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

Narrow Bore D sets that I have made do come up for sale, perhaps more often than my Flat sets. I would suggest that if you do look for one 'second hand' that ,I think, the later instruments are better due to product developement.

Getting a new set; from me ? Very unlikely. My waiting list is too long . Currently there are 75 names on the list who have requested Full Sets , mostly Flat sets....

Due to age and my recent illness I am currently making a Short List of those names for whom I think it will be possible for me to make a set before I'm done. I have no plans to retire but I have to be realistic and so I'm not expecting to be able to work on past my 75th birthday. That gives me 12 years at 3 full sets per year... perhaps that is optimistic too.

Of the names currently on that short list there is only one who has asked for an NBD!

Good luck with your search,
Geoff.
Fergmaun
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Fergmaun »

Another few more uilleann pipe maker that make Narrow bore D is

Andreas Rogge www.uilleann-pipes.de
Brad Angus www.anguspipes.com
Bill Haneman http://billhaneman.ie
Peter Hunter http://www.hunterpipes.co.uk

Cheers

Ferg
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I would also suggest Derrick Gleeson.

1. My wide bore ("normal bore") set is too loud for playing at home and with my wife (harpist)
3. A D chanter is without the stretched fingers and difficulties in group playing of "flat pitched" chanters/sets.
I would suggest you consider set up. Not all wider concert pitch sets are foghorns ( consider Joe Kennedy as a mid bore alternative maybe?).

Ideally a NBD gives you a tonal palette similar to a flat set, not necessarily a very quiet chanter. My own NBD is considerably louder than my flat set.

NBD does not automatically mean less airflow than a well set up WBD.

The stretch of a flat chanter is not much of a problem, I think. Group playing and flat sets? Pretty much depends on the group.

Above all I would say you shouldn't go into this on hearsay: try find an opportunity to try, hands on, a set by the maker you're going to order from to see if it is what you hope it to be.
My brain hurts

Tom_S

Post by Tom_S »

David Daye makes a nice cheap NBD - check out his apartment chanters. He makes great stuff if you're on a budget.
Brazenkane
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Brazenkane »

Joe Kennedy makes a narrow bore D chanter that is quite good, according to Joe!
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
CaperMike

Post by CaperMike »

So many think it possible to set up a concert D set to be considerably quieter and draw less air. "The reed rules all." I'm pretty skeptical. Sure the reed opening or closing the reed, and thinning down the lips will affect volume, for sure. But the size of the reed is determined by chanter bore and the size of the resonant cavity is a fixed and crucial determinant of sound intensity.

Can anyone give a typical bore diameter for NBD vs WBD chanters?

I've tried to tone down the volume (sound intensity) of my drones, without much luck. The chanter reed I'm using now in my Charles Roberts chanter is pretty closed off right now and playing well and in good tune, well maybe not perfect on high D :-) What else can you do to lower air flow and sound intensity? You can't make a smaller reed, can you?

Mike

I would suggest you consider set up. Not all wider concert pitch sets are foghorns ( consider Joe Kennedy as a mid bore alternative maybe?).

Ideally a NBD gives you a tonal palette similar to a flat set, not necessarily a very quiet chanter. My own NBD is considerably louder than my flat set.

NBD does not automatically mean less airflow than a well set up WBD.

The stretch of a flat chanter is not much of a problem, I think. Group playing and flat sets? Pretty much depends on the group.

Above all I would say you shouldn't go into this on hearsay: try find an opportunity to try, hands on, a set by the maker you're going to order from to see if it is what you hope it to be.[/quote]
SavGaEckmann

Post by SavGaEckmann »

I recently acquired a Joe Kennedy NBD chanter. Very nice sound. I'm very pleased with it. Doesn't seem to require much air either.
He was making a batch recently.
You should touch base with him.

Kyle :thumbsup:
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

I've tried two different models of narrow bore D chanters from Joe, and I think he's settled on a third model now, that's slightly different again. The two models I tried were Kenna and Taylor based, and the Taylor based one was especially nice - very like a good B chanter.

I also have a "medium bore" D chanter from him that is nice, but I think he's moving away from making those as he wasn't happy with the compromise.