2nd octave F# "blip" thingy, what is it?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ennischanter
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

2nd octave F# "blip" thingy, what is it?

Post by ennischanter »

I hear this "blip" sound alot in Séamus Ennis' recordings, but don't hear it much in any other recordings. I listened to Mick O'Brien play The Flags of Dublin, and he did something that sounded a lot like it, only it wasn't in the second octave.

Was this strictly an Ennis Technique? If not, what is it called? Does anybody use this?

I hope you know what I am talking about...
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
Brazenkane
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: 2nd octave F# "blip" thingy, what is it?

Post by Brazenkane »

post a sound sample...
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnRJS76ohQ0 I you can see and hear him doing it at around 6-7 seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Liv8-iYQrcY Mick O'Brien doing it at around 42-43 seconds in, though I am not sure if it was intentional or not...

You can listen to virtually every Ennis recording out there, you'll always hear it.
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

JR

Post by JR »

The lower octave F# is played so tightly that it jumps up an octave. It just 'nips' in.

It's not an unusual phenomenon, and certainly characteristic of Ennis and his pipes. It could be considered musically incorrect but I like it. Punches in the rhythm a bit more than a low F# would.
ennischanter

Post by ennischanter »

I like how it makes the uilleann pipes sound kind of like some sort of mechanical machine.. :)

Christian Tietje
Tell us something.: I'm an Uilleann Piper since 1985 and before piping a Flute-Player since 1977. Beside thits I played German Pipes in German Folk Music and I play and sing to the Guitar.

Post by Christian Tietje »

Hello ennischanter,
for me it's simply that he plays the f# with closed fingering and slighly higher pressure as necessary for the lower octave which forces the f# into the second ocave. Simply like the g-f#-e-triplet in the lower octave with closed fingering which also jumps to the 2nd.
Christian Tietje
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Simply like the g-f#-e-triplet in the lower octave with closed fingering which also jumps to the 2nd.
Hm, it's not at all a given that a first octave gfe, or a fgf for that matter, will necessarily jump the octave.
My brain hurts

Christian Tietje
Tell us something.: I'm an Uilleann Piper since 1985 and before piping a Flute-Player since 1977. Beside thits I played German Pipes in German Folk Music and I play and sing to the Guitar.

"and slighly higher pressure as necessary for the lower octave" Beginning from a closed chanter it then always jumps to the higher octave. Beginning with an open chanter that might not happen jumping up
Christian Tietje
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
Simply like the g-f#-e-triplet in the lower octave with closed fingering which also jumps to the 2nd.
Hm, it's not at all a given that a first octave gfe, or a fgf for that matter, will necessarily jump the octave.
yeah...depends on hole size
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
ennischanter

Post by ennischanter »

I thought it was an actual thing, so I actually use it! :)

It's very easy to do on my chanter too.

john

Post by john »

so was this something ennis did on purpose?
john

Post by john »

sorry to be a nuisance, but I thought earlier that ennischanter had made a quick response to my question but I can't see it now - was I imagining it? just trying to ascertain that i'm not losing what's left of my mind...
ennischanter

Post by ennischanter »

Hahahaha!! :lol: I did, but I removed it because I am starting to find I post on my own threads too much. Not to worry, you are sane!

But yes, I do suspect that he may have intentionally did it.

ausdag

Post by ausdag »

john wrote:so was this something ennis did on purpose?
Not necessarily done on purpose, but given the nature of the instrument, the odd unintended foray into the second octave can be considered acceptable and not neccesarily a mistake or poor form but rather one of the idiosyncracies of piping.

Edited to add a degree of speculation
Last edited by ausdag on Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Christian Tietje

I'd disagree completely! A piper on this level like Séamus Ennis at his time did or a piper today will do everything by intention, nearly nothing accidently. It's simply: playing the open f# safely to stay in the lower octave - two fingers off - or playing it closed with higher pressure to jump up at each time when it appears or more difficult, playing it closed with lower pressure to stay below with the danger to jump up.

Or do other pipers have instruments on which this does not work so? On those I've tried beginning from the closed chanter opening to "g" or "f#" with only a little pressure they always jump up. Only very low pressure or open fingering from another note let them stay in the lower octave.
Christian Tietje