Finbar Furey's Reedmaking Video

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
bobkeenan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Finbar Furey's Reedmaking Video

Post by bobkeenan »

I saw this video posted on the youtube thread and had some thought:

http://youtu.be/WMY0MJmpaDc

1. What an amazing resource! Between this and the An Piobiari Uilleann videos and a few other resources and you have access to nice collections of different reed making techniques.
2. I have seen this video, all that the internet has to offer, and Tim Brittons video. I also had some time with Brad Angus. And you know what..... Everone makes reeds differently. There are similarities but they are all different. I think that is kind of funny. I bet there there is no best way...
3. Finbar soaks his reeds in water a lot during his process. I only use it per brittons proceedure with a little water on the edges right before the first winding to help the reed form to the staple and also help prevent cracking. I am going to try Finbars water technique
4. Finbar also leaves the center section of the unsplit slip rather thick compared to the edges. I found that interesting and have not seen that before.
5. I am a measure- a- holic and finbar uses old marks on an old piece of cane? And even then he was cutting stuff inbetween the marks!
6. His bridles are very wide compared to what i have seen and it sounded as if he relies on that to provide the arch on the cane? He also has it up quite a bit from the winding compared to what I have seen.
7. I thought is was funny that he gave constant warnings about always drawing the blade away from you and then his scraping is all into his thumb.
8. Another curious thing is that he favors the medir cane? I happen to like that cane as I find it much easier to work with than California cane. I am not a good enough player to say which reed source sounds better but from what i have read, many many pipers pefer the Californian cane. So it was curious to hear that he thinks Medir is superior.
9. Hated the intermittent background music as i love listening to finbar and the music just got in the way.

So just some thoughts..... Its great that we have this video available.
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Re: Finbar Furey's Reedmaking Video

Post by ennischanter »

Glad someone noticed!

I agree with you on number 9, the music was very annoying. I would have rather heard some pipes!
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
ausdag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ausdag »

Sounds like someone's gone and added music to the production. Glad I caught this video back in 2009 when it was first released, minus music.
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Tilori
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tilori »

I also had a look at this video quite recently and found it to be really fascinating. I wonder if this technique would work for anybody else. It seems Finbar is making reeds mainly by feel and experience.
I am also a person who likes to put things into a formula but my own, not that successful, attempts at reedmaking show me otherwise.
What confused me the most was, that he did not let the reed dry before finishing it. He basically tried out a totally wet reed. I always thought the shape and behavior of a reed would change quite a bit with the moisture content in the cane.
Also the reed seemed to be nearly totally closed after winding it onto the staple. This is, although he used a very small sanding block ( piece of cane, maybe 30 mm in diameter) and removed a lot more cane at the tail area than at the head of the reed. In my opinion this should lead to a much more open reed. Maybe it is all because of the moisture.
Reedmaking is really strange and hard to understand, I wonder if I will every truly get it.
Uill Wind

Post by Uill Wind »

Is no one going to mention the hammer! I'm in the early (mainly pre-contemplation) stage of reed making but I can't imagine going anywhere near my reed with a hammer.

I'm at work so couldn't check the youtube link submitted. I assumed it was the same as an older one up about 2 years ago on youtube where he has a go at the bridle/collar with a hammer but understand that is not in the current video
bobkeenan

Post by bobkeenan »

Maybe that is my problem.... I need to drench my reeds in water till they are soaked and then pound on them with a hammer. If nothing else it sounds very satisfying.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Finbar is a treasure.

Finbar is a craftsman.

Like any master of his craft, he always has a clear 'target' in mind. Every move is measured against this result, or target. A little too much here? So, now a little less to compensate. Always the target in mind. . .

He refuses to 'over-finish' the reed, preferring to 'play it in' over a month.

I've heard it said he uses Medir cane, which is a little on the hard side.

He may use Bassoon cane, also harder, as it is more suited to his wet method.

Even Bassoon reeds retain their shape as they dry, if they are properly formed to begin with.

Only the very outermost tips of the lips ('jaws' to Finbar) are thinned with the initial side-to-side sandpapering. The remaining meat left on the balance of the reed seems to support the tips and prevent warping.

I was shown a wet method by an old reed maker that had many points in common with this method.

My two cents worth.
Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
ausdag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ausdag »

Uill Wind wrote: he has a go at the bridle/collar with a hammer
If I remember rightly, he uses the hammer to reduce the staple eye, by whacking it with a hammer just below the bridle. Apparently it is a fix for a flat 2nd octave G. I've tried it once or twice, but on both occassions ended up ruining the reed. So now I prefer to unbind, adjust staple, rebind.
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Matt Horsley

Post by Matt Horsley »

That background music is hilarious!

It really gets quite emotional from 6'30" to 9'00" with that lush piano music. By the end I was tearing up a little over the knife safety tips...

I will have to watch it again and actually pay attention to the content though!
macdiarmada1974

Post by macdiarmada1974 »

Pretty delighted with my reedmaking efforts this week! new reed for my ginsberg b set made over 2 nights....worked fully in tune on the first try...

did someone sell my soul to the devil???
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

macdiarmada1974 wrote:Pretty delighted with my reedmaking efforts this week! new reed for my ginsberg b set made over 2 nights....worked fully in tune on the first try...

did someone sell my soul to the devil???

Did you soak the cane?
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

ennischanter

Post by ennischanter »

TBH, I now just want to make a reed just for the heck of it!