FS: Wilkes B Flat

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
mcelvogue
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

FS: Wilkes B Flat

Post by mcelvogue »

Hi,
looking to sell my Wilkes B Flat as seen here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alsxmrTizGk or here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5JOZttrRO8 and as played properly on my album here https://soundcloud.com/mcelvogue/00-fou ... ide-tracks or here https://soundcloud.com/mcelvogue/11-pre ... d-road-tom or here https://soundcloud.com/mcelvogue/07-pre ... d-road-tom or here https://soundcloud.com/mcelvogue/09-pre ... d-road-tom). Any interest please PM me. (Edit: looking for 1600 GBP)

FWIW - the most accurate reflection of this beautiful instrument is probably from the album where I had the time and energy to practice. Sadly, neither has been afforded over the last decade except the odd gig here and there so the more recent recordings (youtube) are probably not a true reflection of the potential of the instrument.

Regards,
Tom McElvogue
paddler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: FS: Wilkes B Flat

Post by paddler »

Having just listened to the clips you posted, all I can say is Wow! What a fabulous sound! I know it wouldn't sound like that in my hands, but if I had 1600 pounds available I'd be all over this. This looks like a great deal for someone.

Jon
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Yes, the playing of the Bb on the CD is astounding.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

What a wonderful flute! 1600 sterling for Wilkes keyed B-flat is a fantastic deal! I'm tempted, but I've started to play guitar again and I'm on the look out and saving for a vintage 60's Fender Bassman or 50' s Fender Twin amplifier. This flute will soon be snapped up I'm sure. Great playing by the way
mcelvogue

Post by mcelvogue »

Hi all, I currently have three people interested and I'm in email discussions with the first person to contact me. Thanks for the interest and once a deal is concluded, I'll post again to close this out.

Regards,
Tom

ps: thanks for the kind comments regarding the playing
mcelvogue

Post by mcelvogue »

Thanks for all the interest in the flute fellow chiff and fipplers. Flute sold. One lucky fippler will be getting a lovely flute for Christmas!

Regards,
Tom
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Kevin Ryan, Ennis, is selling his Bb Grinter 8 key on FB (thanks Lars). One year at Willie Week, early 2000's, we heard two brothers playing Bb flutes together at the flute recital. It sounded fantastic, yet eerie at the same time. I've always wondered who they were, didn't catch their names? They looked to be in their late twenties and I think they were from Monaghan, Fermanagh, Tyrone or somewhere off the beaten track.
Last edited by Steampacket on Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Steampacket wrote:Kevin Ryan, Ennis, is selling his Bb Grinter 6 key on FB. Are Bb's out of fashion these days?
Description on Facebook says 8-key..
I don't know, Bb is perhaps not the most use(d)ful key, albeit fantastic sounding.
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Podge

Post by Podge »

Steampacket wrote:One year at Willie Week, early 2000's, we heard two brothers playing Bb flutes together at the flute recital. It sounded fantastic, yet eerie at the same time. I've always wondered who they were, didn't catch their names? They looked to be in their late twenties and I think they were from Monaghan, Fermanagh, Tyrone or somewhere off the beaten track.
Brendan Mulholland ?
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"Brendan Mulholland?" Podge.

No, these two brothers were very laid back, shy, country people. The tunes they played were strange local tunes I'd never heard before. Either that or they had their own variations and the low flutes added to the strangeness. Haven't seen or heard them before or since. I think it must have been around 2003-2004 at the Willie Week Tuesday flute recital.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

If you hadn't said they were youngsters, Steampacket, I'd have asked if they were the Moloney brothers, Conor and Patrick. Conor (now deceased) told me he and Patsy used to bemuse folk at sessions in Ireland by duetting on their R&R original low Bbs. Also, mentioning Brendan Mulholland, he was one of the tutors at last October's Berkenhage Flute Weekend in Belgium: he had his Grinter low Bb along and I had a go on it - really lovely - while he had a go on my own low Bb...... Tasty stuff!

As for low Bb trading (no non-allergenic keyless ones for Loren though!), it seems to be the time of year for it..... Last December two 8-keyers went by, one Wilkes, one Grinter, and in late January I got mine...... Now, this December, we've had Tom's and now Kevin Ryan's.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Found my own Irtrad-list mail about these two and it was the 2001 Willie Week flute recital. Also, it wasn't two Bb flutes they played, but a Bb flute and a Bb tin whistle together. The sound was something akin to a portative, quite unusual. The larger of the two young men also had a very high pitched speaking voice, which you didn't expect. I shall try and find out more.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

jemtheflute wrote: As for low Bb trading (no non-allergenic keyless ones for Loren though!), it seems to be the time of year for it..... Last December two 8-keyers went by, one Wilkes, one Grinter, and in late January I got mine...... Now, this December, we've had Tom's and now Kevin Ryan's.
Indeed, it nearly seems to be raining Bb's about now. Although I specified keyless in my wanted post, I would have jumped on the Wilkes if it had been in Boxwood, as the price was so reasonable. But alas..... Hopefully Rob has been able to take better advantage of the recent Bb bounty.
matthewnoell

Post by matthewnoell »

How do I see the Facebook posting for the Grinter? I'm new to all this.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

I saw it on Jem Hammond's FB page. It's public - I went to look at the link Jem gave illustrating how the silver lip plate was put together on a wooden head joint - regarding the recent E-bay "Another Rudall & Rose thread

"You can see another one (not a Rudall!) which was moderately difficult to dismantle but didn't require special tools: here on FB in another of my repair photo-stories." Jem