Interesting (?) - Killarney Whistles/Órlaith McAuliffe demo

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Thomaston
antispam: No

Re: Interesting (?) - Killarney Whistles/Órlaith McAuliffe demo

Post by Thomaston »

Well, I had the money in Paypal, and decided to bite the bullet. Hopefully it'll be here in a couple of weeks and I can put it through it's paces and see it could be that elusive perfect-for-me whistle i've searched for for so long
Sirchronique
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Thomaston wrote:
ubizmo wrote:I agree that in terms of overall performance and sound, the Freeman Blackbird is very similiar to the Killarney. The Killarney is just a tad cleaner in the second octave. The Blackbird has a slight hiss (very little); the Killarney has just about none. I think you'd never notice the difference unless you were looking for it. So as far as that goes, the Blackbird is a better value at less than half the price.
How would you compare the volume of the Killarney vs the Bluebird? If it's a little louder than the BB I may order one. I LOVE my bluebird, except it can get drowned out easily in sessions.

The volume is not hugely different. I think the high notes in the upper second octave are a bit more rounded and less bitey than the bluebird("bitey" being used to describe tone, not volume. Not a bad thing, either, just different sound to it). So, I'm not so sure the whistle is going to give you much advantage over the Bluebird in volume. If you like the type of whistles such as the Bluebird, I think you'll like it, though. I'm a big fan of the bluebird as well, and I like the Killarney for many of the same reasons.
ubizmo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ubizmo »

What Sirchronique said, except I was thinking in terms of the Freeman Blackbird, so I misread the question. Anyway, there's no discernible difference in volume. The Killarney is slightly more pure throughout its range, and that's it.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Just received a note, probably like everybody else, that an e flat version will be launched shortly.

Now what about a C?
My brain hurts

Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Just received a note, probably like everybody else, that an e flat version will be launched shortly.

Now what about a C?
Yes, got the mail, and yes i would also like a C, actually rather than Eb.. Most of all i'd like them a wee bit louder with the same sound character :)
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Just received a note, probably like everybody else, that an e flat version will be launched shortly.
The same head with an Eb tube, I'd guess. Has anyone tried fitting a Generation Eb body yet?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The same head with an Eb tube
Yes, probably. That's what I thought anyway. Which is fine.
My brain hurts

Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

MTGuru wrote:
The same head with an Eb tube, I'd guess. Has anyone tried fitting a Generation Eb body yet?

No, but I did put a sindt Eb tube on it. It fit fine! Though, I just did it to experiment. I always thought changing tubes wouldn't make a big difference in sound, but to my ear the Killarney sounds better with the tube it came with. Maybe due to thickness? I'm trying out the brass feadog D tube, as well. I don't really use that whistle, and as soon as I read about the killarney using a feadog tube, I wanted to try this.

I emailed them and asked if the Eb they mailed me about is the same bore size as the D, but with a different tube. Maybe they've already responded.. haven't checked my mail yet.

I would also prefer a C over the Eb.

EDIT: They did email me back. They said "the bore is slightly different for the Eb". I think I'll order it tonight and give it a go. If I don't like it, I can always sell it to someone who does like it. I'm curious about it.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Sirchronique wrote:I always thought changing tubes wouldn't make a big difference in sound, but to my ear the Killarney sounds better with the tube it came with. Maybe due to thickness?
One thing I learned from experimenting with Frankenwhistles, as well as assisting in the design and development of one well-known whistle, is that small difference in the size, shape and position/layout of the holes can make fairly large differences in the resulting sound - tone, response, chirp, etc.

Also, changing the head position affects more than just tuning. Moving the head in or out and then breath-compensating for pitch and intonation can have a marked effect on those same sound qualities - something which is easy to overlook. So a tube that is even very slightly longer or shorter, with a different ideal tuning position relative to the head, can also produce a surprisingly different tonal result.

My Guru's unscientific rule of thumb is that the head contributes around 2/3 to the overall sound characteristics, and the body/tube around 1/3. But that 1/3 is quite significant.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
ubizmo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ubizmo »

I played the Killarney in a medium-sized session last night--about ten people. I found the volume to be a little problematic. When I wanted to lead a tune, the combination of adrenaline and just needing to be heard caused me to blow a bit harder, without really intending to, and I squeaked a few times. That is, I popped into the third octave inadvertently. That's my fault, obviously not the whistle's, but it does indicate that I needed a different whistle in that setting.

Next time I'll use the Dixon alloy, or go back to the trusty Parks Ghost, and save the Killarney for the smaller sessions.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Yes, the head is pretty much the same on the e flat. No rivets this time, looks a bit like they forgot to put them in, but they wouldn't would they?

As you'd expect of an eflat, it's bright, sweet and nimble.

For e flat I have been playing my very first whistle, a Generation bought in 1971 or so. The plastic on that one is getting a bit brittle and I'd be worried I drop it on the flagstone floor. The Killarney Eflat is a good deal brighter than the brass Generation (well, it's new and it's still clean too). Very pleased with it.

And if <groan> when you open the, very well packed, arrival: don't use scissors like I did. You'll easily damage the head. Image
My brain hurts

Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I picture them cackling dementedly as they wrap each whistle with multiple rolls of packing tape and paper.

I have never met a more snuggly packed whistle.
joelmoeb

Post by joelmoeb »

I have recieved my killarney whistle two days ago. I like the sound and it doesn't need a lot of air. The problem is the tuning. The E but above all the D are out of tune, they are high in both octaves.

Have somebody the same problem? I don't know if it is an specific problem of my instrument and I don't know if can be solved changing it for anothe killarney whistle.

Any coment will be very well recieved, thank you.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Have somebody the same problem
No. Not at all.

The whistle wants to be blown gently. If you do that, it'll play in tune.
My brain hurts

Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
Have somebody the same problem
No. Not at all.

The whistle wants to be blown gently. If you do that, it'll play in tune.
Same with mine, which means I can play long, lovely flowing phrases since it doesn't take a ton of air. Just a sweet whistle overall.

Eric