A not so vintage flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
2T00TS
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

A not so vintage flute?

Post by 2T00TS »

Hello everyone.
On Ebay, there is a keyless blackwood D flute for sale. The seller(s) believe it to be an antique French instrument. I myself, reckon its a modern Irish flute, but I don't know who made it. Here is a link to the instrument; http://www.ebay.com/itm/Superb-Vintage- ... 3388753008

I have no connection with the seller.
Correct me if I'm wrong with this assumption.
Viking of Kiev
Tell us something.: The nick is outdated, I'd been living in Kiev for 13 years but now I am located in St.Petersburg, Russia.

Re: A not so vintage flute?

Post by Viking of Kiev »

Read the description there. It's impressive!
Ketil

Post by Ketil »

Impressive? Really.. Way to much for my taste! I wouldn't even consider buying this flute after that sales ad!
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Wow...talk about either a misleading sales ad or someone with a remarkable lack of knowledge of antique and modern wooden flutes. That's clearly a modern flute, without a makers name it could be from the early years when people were just starting to make keyless Irish flutes or it could be a 10 year old flute from Pakistan for all we know.

Sheesh. I sent the seller a note asking why they thought it was an antique, and I explained how it had to be a much more recently made flute than they think unless someone sawed off all the block and plugged all the holes for the keys.

I'll post back if the seller responds, but I do not believe they will. At that price, no matter the flute's age, they're clearly trying to rip people off...or they got ripped off by whoever sold it to them. Found in a French attic where it was stored for years? Really? Yet being sold by a music shop is Michigan and it takes months to restore a flute like that (how bad is their technician if it took them that long)?

Eric
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

"Best of all, she had no keys dragging her down."

That's a relief because I hate it when that happens.

Kirk
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Here's what the seller responded:

We believe this is a vintage flute. we cannot date the flute, but it was made long before 1970

Irish flutes ....Key Less Irish flutes were used and played long long ago before 1970; flutes with no keys have been around for hundreds and hundreds of years

the foot joint we believe may have been a more recent addition, or modification to improve intonation.

I believe we will have to agree to disagree on our facts.

Best Wishes

psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

Too bad they didn't include photo's prior to the restoration, that would have made their story a little more credible, perhaps. As it is, I certainly have my doubts, and $1,700.00 for that flute is just way too high IMHO.
Last edited by psychodonald on Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

The seller didn't like that I pointed out that keyless flutes were not common (or even around) from the baroque era through the 1970s. I can't think of a picture or an example in a museum of a totally keyless flute that wasn't a flute with the key's pulled off and the holes plugged by an Irish trad player.

The person is totally full of it and really has no idea what they're selling. It should not take that long to restore a keyless flute...that's just nuts.

Eric
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Ah, yes, the very fulsome Ms Kampe of Winds101. Her English is rather poor and her descriptions hyperbolic to say the least. She does have some very good and interesting flutes and her website is well presented apart from the verbals. Her prices are often as hyperbolic as her descriptions, mind. And no, you can't argue with or inform her. I've had a couple of "discussions" with her on FB or eBay........... Also the repair tech she uses (I believe) is Jerry Schurr, who knows his stuff (see his own website). As for the flute in Q, it doesn't look to me to be sub-continental.......... Can't say much more than that.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Jerry Schurr is reputable...so maybe it is a good flute, but wow...I hope it's an unmarked early Olwell at that price! It still should not take months to do what is listed on the ad...

Eric
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Jayhawk wrote:Jerry Schurr is reputable...so maybe it is a good flute, but wow...I hope it's an unmarked early Olwell at that price! It still should not take months to do what is listed on the ad...

Eric
Indeed. If it really did (maybe work backlog wait? ;-) ). More sales spiel hyperbole, I'd say.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Because it's freakin' freezing where I'm at and I am therefore highly tetchy (18f and dropping...heading slowly towards -10 tomorrow night), I wrote back to the seller, gave links to Terry McGee's site, Rick Wilson's site and the Dayton Miller site...doubt the ad will change, but it's beyond hyperbole...it's dishonest.

Eric
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

The thing is, there's always someone willing to buy "powdered horn of the Unicorn" :poke:

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Well, they changed their ad after my second email and sent me a nice note that they were not trying to be misleading. It's still really highly priced, but that doesn't mean it's not a nice flute that was restored or improved by Jerry Schurr.

Eric
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

There are still several misleading statements.

She is authentic, French heritage...We do not know the maker -- It might have been found in an attic in France, but does that mean it has a French heritage?

...a full restoration ... took months to complete -- Is spending five minutes once a week over a period of several months the same thing as a full restoration taking months to complete? Two hours for this job sounds about right.

What does this mean: "...the added foot joint with double undercut tone holes"? What are "double undercut tone holes?"

At the top of the page: Returns: 14 days money back, buyer pays return shipping
At the bottom of the page: We must be contacted within 72 hours of receipt of instrument if you wish to return. Upon the 4th day if we do not hear from you [it's] a final sale

I find all of this delicious in a twisted sort of way. Like a 419 Nigerian scam. Who would fall for this crap?
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale