Need suggestions for flute to play at renaissance festival

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Peter Duggan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Need suggestions for flute to play at renaissance festival

Post by Peter Duggan »

MTGuru wrote:The multiple ambiguity of the term "key" - instrument, music, key signature, physical key - is one of the dumbest things we're saddled with.
Aye, but the simple letters (eg C, D) are just as bad... note, key, scale, chord etc.
To whom do I write to complain?
Dunno, but let me know when you find out!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

This is what I play out at the KC Renfest:

http://www.irishflutestore.com/m-e-6-key-irish-flutes

Well, mine actually has 8 keys, but since I've played in temps from 100 to 37 (and heavy rain at 37...let me tell you that is not fun in a kilt) I much prefer to not take my antique flute out in those extreme temperatures...plus, if you have a daily parade, you get bumped, pushed, and walk over really rough terrain and might fall.

You will not find a brown polymer flute, but you can get Ralph Sweet's 4 keyed rosewood for a shade over $1,000: http://www.sweetheartflute.com/keyedflutes.html

I really don't think you want a baroque flute...you want volume out at renfest. Plus, it's no more historically accurate than an 8 keyed flute. Renaissance flute reproductions are available and they're just cylindrical bored 6 hole flutes...again, not the loudest critters.

A final option, and probably one that looks the most historically accurate, would be one of Doug Tipple's unicorn horn or faux ivory (e.g., white plumbing pipe) flutes: http://tippleflutes.com/flute-photos/
Those will be, looks-wise, closer to a renaissance flute than anything else, plus they're easier to half hole because the PVC is thinner than the body of a wooden flute. Just another option.

Eric
insidiousraven

Post by insidiousraven »

Jayhawk wrote:This is what I play out at the KC Renfest:
How relevant! KCRF is actually my faire!! I am liking the sweetheart, but I've heard some people don't like the rosewood. I am partial to boxwood myself, but I think that might be impossible to find in my price range.

I like the idea of delrin, but I just can't get over the black color. I mean at that point I might as well just truck my silver flute out there and be done with it.
insidiousraven

Post by insidiousraven »

http://www.allmusicalinstruments.net/it ... .html#item

Does that look legitimate? I've never bought an antique instrument, so I have no experience with it. I am however friends with two instrument repair people, so replacing pads wouldn't be an issue I shouldn't think, unless they were special.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

OK, do we know each other? I've played in the past with Aaron and Kelsey's May I Have This Dance Troup, I've played for (and danced in many, many years ago) the Clanna Eireann Dancers (which would mean you know John Bunch). My band, Fraoch, played at the wine bar the last two weekends this year (overlooks the waterfall down where the pirates are) and have played in other spots as well. We actually formed from a bunch of friends who played for both the May I Have this Dance group and the Clanna Eireann Dancers.

Do you go to any of the local Irish trad sessions at Mike's in KC or up at Henry's in Lawrence? If not, you should...great way to get your chops in shape if you like Irish music. Kelsey makes the KC sessions from time to time I know, and I'm always up at Henry's in Lawrence...but rarely get back into town these days.

Anyway, and more importantly...you can try my flutes and see what you like (both in looks and how they play). My M&E is something you can buy, but if you want an older wooden flute I got mine through Jon C on this board and if you like my flute...you could ask if Jon has one that plays similar to my E. Baack cocus flute.

Eric
Last edited by Jayhawk on Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

That flute looks great, but is likely in F so you'd not want to play with it your group. Jon C is your man if you want an antique flute...he plays flute, restorers antiques and used to make very good flutes...so you know you'll get something good and playable. You can take a chance buying an antique online for music shops or ebay, but it's hugely risky and unless you want to put in big bucks for repairs for an instrument which may not be in modern pitch...well, it can be a costly venture.

PM me if you'd like to meet up to try a few conical bore wooden style flutes.

Eric
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

:party:
Last edited by Aanvil on Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

I have a short foot 4 key cocus Fentum (Wylde) freshly restored a few months ago and ready for a new home with the case. What's your budget?

Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

insidiousraven wrote:I like the idea of delrin, but I just can't get over the black color.
Hmm, why the animus toward black? According to Wiki, ebony was highly prized in medieval and renaissance Europe from the 12th century forward, and there were 11th century guilds of ebony workers in France, and in 16th century Belgium. Your personal taste aside (to which you're perfectly entitled), an ebony flute could be historically plausible.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89b%C3 ... rporations
insidiousraven wrote:I mean at that point I might as well just truck my silver flute out there and be done with it.
Not to derail your quest. But, well, why not? Historically, the guitar, the fiddle, the cello, the conical bore baroque recorder are all anachronistic. I admit I don't understand the RenFair aesthetic and where the lines of suspended disbelief are drawn. But if the audience is OK with a 1930s style dreadnaught guitar, why not a Boehm silver flute? Or maybe one of those colorful Chinese-made student orchestral flutes, in a dark or neutral color?

The only RenFair/CA event I played was once as part of a graduate music school renaissance recorder consort. We used Moeck reproduction instruments, played from original manuscript copies, and wore historically accurate dress thanks to a fastidious music theater costume department. And as I recall, that degree of detail was pretty much lost on the audience. A tough crowd. :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
mandora
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mandora »

Tipple flutes look very much like medieval flutes illustrated in the Cantigas de Santa Maria (14th century) and can be purchased in a number of keys.

I use a Tipple C flute as a pseudo Renaissance flute. 16th century flutes were tuned one note below the pitch used at that time. The C flute works better for recorderish keys like d minor and F major. It has plenty of volume for outside playing.

Michael
Early music, early flutes, Scottish music
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Baroque flutes carry much better than most people give them credit for. One shouldn't get lost in an ensemble such as this -- flutes were played as solo instruments with orchestras and in solo/ensemble settings with recorders. (Telemann's flute and recorder concerto is one of my favorite pieces from that time.)

The Aulos matte-black traverso carries very well and is pretty much indestructible as far as the weather is concerned. The cross-fingerings are pretty strong, and the F/F# separation isn't too bad.

That said, the Sweetheart 4-key sounds like a good solution. I had the same in a 1-key and quite liked it.

If you want a real renaissance flute (reproduction) cheap, I've got one for sale.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

The Aulos wouldn't be a bad option, and I just sold an older (1978) one key rosewood sweetheart flute that I thought was really nice.

Our renfest is large, and I do think volume can be an issue. The Aulos may well work, but in the outdoor setting with over 10,000 people on average each day and some days up to 20,000 - well, we've had bands backing dancers with 8 players and the only thing anyone heard beyond the first few rows was the whistler.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

chas wrote:Baroque flutes carry much better than most people give them credit for. One shouldn't get lost in an ensemble such as this -- flutes were played as solo instruments with orchestras and in solo/ensemble settings with recorders.
Sure. But baroque orchestras and ensembles were relatively small (though not smaller than a folk group). And it was/is indoor music. There's a reason that renaissance consorts were formally divided into quiet/indoor consorts (recorders, viols) and loud/outdoor consorts (krummhorns, shawms, brass).

insidiousraven

Post by insidiousraven »

Thanks for all the input! I have had no problems with the volume of my folk flute at all, but I don't know how that compares to other instruments.

I know my aestetics are making my search more difficult, but that is for my enjoyment of the instrument not necessarily the patrons of the faire.

My budget is ideally 500-1000. I'd like to stay under 1500 and that'd be stretching it.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

insidiousraven wrote:My budget is ideally 500-1000. I'd like to stay under 1500 and that'd be stretching it.
US $$$, presumably? Remember, this is an international forum, and you haven't stated your location in your profile.