Chris Norman, Wind and Wire

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dunnp
antispam: No

Chris Norman, Wind and Wire

Post by dunnp »

I love this recording lately. I have it from itunes so don't have the liner notes.
Can anyone tells what flutes he plays on this recording? The cover says he is playing baroque flutes. He makes them sound quite strong at points. Is the Rudall or Cameron copy there as well.

Has anyone tried to play an A392 flute with c pipes? And I mean real flat union pipes not those wider bore aberrations :wink:
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Chris Norman, Wind and Wire

Post by kkrell »

From the liner notes:

Rod Cameron grenadilla copy (1995) after a 1710 Jacob Denner original, A415.
Rod Cameron boxwood copy (1995) after a 1725 Scherer "The Elder" original, A392.
Rod Cameron grenadilla (2003) one-key alto flute in "G".

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Thanks Kevin such strong tone for baroque flutes.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I took a workshop with CN a long while ago. He can make a rudall flute sound as loud as a buzz saw,
and I reckon something like that is happening on these other flutes, too. Extraordinary embouchure, Norman has.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Chris does get lots of volume out of his flutes, but his tone always sounds somehow authentic. (I once talked to someone around here who said that after one lesson with Chris, her volume doubled.) So while he can play Irish music with a fat sound, his tone on the baroque flute is pure and dulcet. Still good volume, but it doesn't sound like the good ol' days when people were playing baroque flute music on silver Boehm flutes.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.