Dixon DX012D low D tips please?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
maxr
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Dixon DX012D low D tips please?

Post by maxr »

I just bought a previously owned Dixon DX012D tunable plastic low D whistle. I tried it alongside three non tunable low D Dixon plastic whistles (1 x TB003D and 2 x DX003B I believe), and to my inexpert ear, this particular DX012D sounds better and plays easier than those individual whistles.

As a whistle newby who plays Great Highland pipes, I'd appreciate any tips you all might have on getting the best from this whistle. I found some info on the modified piper grip and 'breathing' the lowest notes instead of blowing them, and that all seems to work well.

My immediate issues are:

* I'm getting 1st octave overtones when playing 2nd octave top hand notes - is there something I can do to minimise the overtones without blowing those notes too loud?

* I'm gradually getting better low Cs and Ds by 'breathing' those notes - but is there any other technique to consistently produce the 'solid' low notes I read about in the Forum?

* What's the practical limit of range of this whistle - will it play usable notes higher than 3rd octave D, if so what fingerings do you use please?

* Any other recommended fingerings for this whistle please? E.G. it seems that 2nd octave C natural plays better fingered 0XXXXO rather than OXXOOO .

Thanks, Max
Angel Shadowsong
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Dixon DX012D low D tips please?

Post by Angel Shadowsong »

Hi Welcome to the forum.

I own the same whistle/flute combo.

For your question here are my answer.

Hearing the overtones:
If you hear the First octave D when playing a second octave D, you are most probably underblowing it.

If you are hearing a second octave A on a second octave D you are over blowing it.

Use the vented D fingering OXX-XXX on the second octave.
This minimize the chances of overtones. However it can make you note just a little sharp. So breath control is also important.

Strong Low notes:
Well it is a weakness of the instrument. I frequently drown in volume when playing with other instruments.

Try the Flute.... :P hahaha
Or Try Susato, it has a flutelike tone for a Low whistle.

On Range:
Efficient and useful range is 2 octaves. Getting a whistle that can play on the 3rd octave means it has quiet volume on the first octave. Fold the notes as necessary.

On alternative fingerings
For Cnat notes:

First octave
OXX-OOO -common, slightly muted timbre

OXX-XOO-if first fingering is sharp, slightly muted

OXX-X0X-if the second fingering is still sharp. Slightly louder than the first 2 fingerings. Somewhat close to the timbre and volume of neighbor notes. My preferred for Dixon.

HOO-OOO or HOO-XXX. Timbre is very close to neighbor notes.
Hard to balance. Use pinkie or cover bottom notes for grip balance stability. Weakness is tone inconsistency. Sometimes sharp, sometimes flat, depending on how you half-hole. Ideal for slower music due to timber consistency. (Atleast in my opinion)

OXO-OOO- if common fingering is flat, slightly muted.

2nd Octave.

OXO-XXX- timber is closer to neighbor notes, but has a blip-chiff and squeak-chiff effect.

You will hear a blip sound when you execute this note from a lower note say 2nd octave A.
You will hear a slight squeak or a long squaawk if you came from 3rd octave D.
Tonguing somehow minimize the blip-chiff and squeak-chiff.

OXX-XXO - long squawk if over blown. Slightly muted.

HOO-OOO, HOO-XXX. Last option. Same discription as first octave.
Quote by Zig Ziglar: “Success occurs when opportunity meets preparation”
maxr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Dixon DX012D low D tips please?

Post by maxr »

Thanks Angel Shadowsong, for that detailed and very helpful reply. Actually, after I posted, I went back to the shop and changed the plastic Dixon low D whistle for the aluminium Dixon low D whistle, which appears to require less air in the top octave and I think has more balanced volume between the top and bottom octaves. It's a big lump of aluminium, so it takes a while to warm up, and I think as a result may be more prone to 'choking' on condensation thank the plastic whistle, but that may be my fault, not the whistle. I'll try your fingerings on this whistle and see how they work.

Max