Merlin Whistle/Low Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Kjeldebu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Merlin Whistle/Low Whistle

Post by Kjeldebu »

Anyone tried Merlin Low Whistles?

www.merlin-music.com/whistles.htm

If anyone could compare it to Susato or Tony Dixon (Alu) would be good.

Thanks!

Jonathan
Feadoggie

Re: Merlin Whistle/Low Whistle

Post by Feadoggie »

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Merlin whistles get mentioned now and then around here. They are not wildly popular. They have their fans though. I have never seen or played one personally. Reviews are mixed as I recall. You can use the search facility at the top of the page to read through some past threads on Merlin whistles. There are also a few videos on YouTube of folks playing their Merlins (for what that may be worth). I tend to mistrust anything claimed to have been made in a crystal palace. :wink:

Susato and Dixon on the other hand are among the most frequently discussed whistles here. Both are generally well liked brands. I have owned a good number of whistles from both of those makers and in a variety of keys.

Susatos are well design and well made. They get a bad rap from some players (usually beginners) because they can be louder than the average (Generation type) whistle. The S-series high D is the one people love to hate. The V-Series and Oriole models are somewhat more demur (relative to the S-Series). The Susato low whistles are good whistles. They are not loud (realtive to other low whistles). They are well tuned and predictable. The tone is quite pure. The criticisms are generally about the large-ish beak and the large BH2 holes. But everything is relative to your preferences so YMMV.

The Dixons I have owned have generally been rather good whistles. The tone is nice and a little more complex than the Susato. They play well using average air and with average sized holes. The newer Dixon tapered low whistles have a conservative hand stretch - good first low whistles. But again YMMV.

Hope that helps.

What key(s) are you looking into?

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Kjeldebu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Kjeldebu »

Hi,
Sorry should have mentioned I have owned a susato (first) then got a Dixon (plastic) as a present to myself. I, rather stupidly, lost the head of the Dixon last week so I'm looking to buy a new whistle. (key of D)

This is why I asked how the merlin plays in comparison to these 2 whistles: didn't like the shape of the fipple on the susato and somehow couldn't get my grip on my right hand, and the Dixon felt good, but I've tried the new one (mine was 8 yrs old) and I don't like the grip with my big hands.

Someone I know has a merlin d tin and is very happy with it, it's just I rather play the low whistle.

Thanks!

Jonathan
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

Sorry, can't compare it to susato or Dixon, but I do have an older Merlin low D. Haven't kept up so I don't know if there have been design changes. Mine has a tuning problem which is enough to bug me, but haven't tried to correct it with tape or anything yet. Mine is one of the older black polymer ones. Tuning aside, it sounds nice, and plays pretty well, but I don't love it and it would not be my main whistle. Just not what I personally am looking for. I bought it used and it was my first low whistle and as such served it's purpose.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
brianholton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brianholton »

My only experience is with a wide-bore Merlin Bb I bought 2-3 years ago.

It's not well in tune, is poorly finished (ragged edges on some of the holes), requires way too much breath for me, has a rough, breathy tone I don't like: it is not usable in performance, as far as I am concerned.

While I applaud the idea of making high-quality low-cost whistles, I found the Merlin to be unacceptably low quality, sadly. I had hoped for more.

I had no money at all when I started, and could not have afforded to buy anything else but Clarkes or Generations (had anything else been available back in the early 70s), but with luck and perseverance, good quality Gens could be found (especially Bb ones).

Merlin may have improved their whistles, though, or I might have stumbled on a rare bad one, so don't just take my opinion.

good luck
b