Key of D and G.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
narrowdog
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Key of D and G.

Post by narrowdog »

While we were out for an extended walk today we were chatting about music generally
and the subject of keys came up and I asked
'Why do we play most of our dance music in these two keys'
Blank looks all round :-?
There's probably a very simple answer to it.
Happiness is taking things as they are.
sfmans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Re: Key of D and G.

Post by sfmans »

You don't say which part of the world you mean by 'our dance music'; but the tyranny of D and G in the English tradition is down to the popularity and dominance of the two-row melodeon in ... D and G.

If you mean Irish, then there'll be those who know far more about that than me, but D and G are comfortable keys in first position on the fiddle so that may have an influence.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I suppose you should look at the reaction of some whistleplayers if ,say, a fiddler starts The Drunken Sailor, Tuttle's, Martin Rochford's, Caisleann an Oirr, The Mother's Delight or any of those tunes in the keys fiddleplayers play them in. Or, maybe to a lesser extend, The Boys of Malin. Or a good bunch of Paddy Fahey's tunes.

My brain hurts

narrowdog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by narrowdog »

sfmans wrote:You don't say which part of the world you mean by 'our dance music'; but the tyranny of D and G in the English tradition is down to the popularity and dominance of the two-row melodeon in ... D and G.

If you mean Irish, then there'll be those who know far more about that than me, but D and G are comfortable keys in first position on the fiddle so that may have an influence.
I should have said 'English' dance music.
Although I feel it applies to Irish music too at least at the sessions I attend.
Yes of course there are plenty in Em, A some in C but there does seem to be this D/G preference.
Happiness is taking things as they are.
cboody

Post by cboody »

Just consider the instruments (just talking the major scale key names, implying one or two sharps). there are probably some cart and horse issues here:

D whistle plays in D and G
Anglos are built in D and G
English Morris players play D/G boxes
Fiddles play in first position easily in D and G (as do mandolins and bouzouki...swell depending on the tuning).

Truth to be told these instruments may have developed for a variety of reasons, but the fiddle might have been the thing that determined starting point and the other instruments developed their key centers later so they could play along.

I can't give you any on line references (haven't looked) but I strongly suspect it was the urge to play with others that drove the decision making.

You have a similar situation in the British Brass Band where all the instruments are in either Eb or Bb and can all be read from treble clef music using the same fingerings. So, folks could cover parts by just picking up an instrument and playing the music the same way they would on whatever other instrument they usually played.
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

A quick look through Aird's Airs ** "adapted to the Fife, Violin, or German Flute" of 1778-1801 suggests a preponderence of tunes printed in one or two sharps. I think that predates the various squeezeboxes.

** a quick look through the ABC on Jack Campin's site that is http://www.campin.me.uk/
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Irish music, as played on the keyless flute in D, whistle in D, and uilleann pipes in D, appear mostly in the key signatures of D Major and G Major (because playing a crossfingered flat 7th, C natural, is commonplace) but the tunes themselves are in a variety of keys.

Going up, commonly heard are
D Major
D Mixolydian
E dorian
G Major
A dorian
A Mixolydian
B minor
C Lydian

Nearly as much variety appears in Highland pipe music, though on that instrument the 7th is always flat:
A Mixolydian
A Major (really an illusion, created when tunes avoid the 7th and the ear perceives the tunes to be Major)
B minor
D Major
E dorian
G Lydian

The Lydian mode, based on the flat 7th of the scale, is infrequent in Irish trad but very common in the older Highland music.

I will say that once, years ago, I was listening to a superb uilleann pipe album by a famous player, along with a friend who is an orchestral composer and arranger, and when we finished the album he said "that whole album is in G" and sure enough it was! Every single tune on the entire album, reels, jigs, airs, hornpipes, all of it, was in the key of G Major.

A curious thing about the uilleann pipes is that while the chanter is nominally in D, the regulators are in G. The lowest, most resounding note, on the regs is G, and the C is a C natural. Only in the key of G can the regs supply full 1>4>5>1 chordal accompaniment. So pipers who revel in lush full regulator playing are naturally drawn to that key. The regs lack the note E and many useful chords are thus unavailable.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

** a quick look through the ABC on Jack Campin's site that is http://www.campin.me.uk/
While I don't know how Jack C. put together his collections, I'd be careful drawing any conclusions from ABC collections on the web. Many of them have been 'rationalised' into the modern practice of writing tunes in D,G or A. Even where the original tunes may have been written in different keys (three flats is not particularly rare in some of the old, especially Scottish, fiddle collections).

Same caveat would apply to some modern printed collections. Some years ago I bought a collection of James Hill's compositions, published by the Northumbrian pipers' society. These tunes were mostly in D or G but as the editor's notes revealed a large quantity had been transposed into those keys from their original settings, which were much more varied in their choice of key.

It's worth looking at the original collections for many reasons but if you want to determine the distribution of 'original' keys, they're the most reliable way.

There are many sites where you can download PDF -facsimile- versions of old tune collections for free.

Other sites reproduce the tunes in modern type setting but retain the original keysignatures , the Highland Trust PDF collections download page is a good (and recommended) example. The Macintyre collection is a good example of having plenty of tunes in the 'flat' keys.
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Mon May 05, 2014 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Mr.Gumby wrote: but I'd be very careful drawing any conclusions from ABC collections on the web. Many of them have been 'rationalised' into the modern practice of writing tunes in D,G or A.
Sure, but I think in many cases we can trust the scholarship of those involved. I started off here: http://www.village-music-project.org.uk/, where the convention is to note any editorial changes in the ABC header. However, there are a lot of files there and in several cases comparison was made with Aird. Jack Campin on this page http://www.campin.me.uk/Aird/ comments that " they were used by village musicians all over Britain for decades, copied into manuscript books as they fell apart from use." Was it Aird who had scored them in keys suited for the instruments listed ?

Another indication of the keys used in England in the 18th century are the manuscripts left by musicians in the church bands (common lore is that they played for dancing and Saturday night and in church on Sunday - Thomas Hardy, who's family did both, is an oft quoted source). The noticeable addition to two sharps is one and two flats, often but not always, as Dminor and Gminor. That would give the minor keys in the same vocal range as the common major keys or but also give the home notes on a fiddler's open strings.
cboody

Post by cboody »

Two things:

1) You can trust Jack Campin's work to be accurate representation of whatever he is doing, and you can trust him to mention if he is changing keys. He's a good obsessive musicologist (in the positive sense) and hence useful things.

2) One of the reasons for an influx of flutes into Ireland was the change to the Boehm flute. In the 1830s/1840s orchestral players began to shift to the new Boehm system instruments because of the flexibility in playing in multiple keys. Their old instruments, often stripped of their keys, were D based instruments and found their way into the hands of many traditional music players. The were inexpensive and fit right in...and of course D and G were the best keys further reinforcing the D/G centering of tunes.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Irish music in D and G mostly, Scottish music in A almost exclusively.
One of the reasons being that the Irish alphabet is larger than the Scottish.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Mr.Gumby wrote:

The original tunes may have been written in different keys (three flats is not particularly rare in some of the old, especially Scottish, fiddle collections).
Keeping in mind that many of the Scottish "fiddler" composers wouldn't be recognized as "fiddlers" today, but rather violinists. These were classically trained violinists quite capable of playing in any key, playing in high positions, etc.
Mr.Gumby wrote:

...published by the Northumbrian pipers' society. These tunes were mostly in D or G but as the editor's notes revealed a large quantity had been transposed into those keys from their original settings, which were much more varied in their choice of key.
It only makes sense to have the things in an NSP collection written in the key in which they're fingered on an NSP chanter. NSP chanters in F, F#, and G are going to produce their tunes in different keys but it would be ridiculous to have everything written in several sharps because a piper happened to be playing upon an F# chanter.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

pancelticpiper wrote:The Lydian mode, based on the flat 7th of the scale
Strange way to put it, Richard! (Thought you'd mixed it up with Mixolydian having a flat seventh compared to the major scale, then realised you'd said 'based on', in which case why not based on the fourth of the [major] scale?)
oleorezinator wrote:Irish music in D and G mostly, Scottish music in A almost exclusively.
Almost exclusively? Eh? (A?)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
mwilson
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by mwilson »

Peter Duggan wrote:
pancelticpiper wrote:The Lydian mode, based on the flat 7th of the scale
Strange way to put it, Richard! (Thought you'd mixed it up with Mixolydian having a flat seventh compared to the major scale, then realised you'd said 'based on', in which case why not based on the fourth of the [major] scale?)
!!! Must be the pipes, with that low G-natural in the key of "A".
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

D and G is fine with me.