"The Butterfly" - Matt Molloy / "Chieftains" & James Galway

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Re: "The Butterfly" - Matt Molloy / "Chieftains" & James Galway

Post by tin tin »

Reading sheet music does not make someone unmusical. This is like saying a poet or author reading from a manuscript will…read..in…a…halting…mechanical…way, lacking awareness of the meaning of the words. Nonsense. Usually (except in the case of sight-reading, which also doesn't preclude musicality), the musician has gone through extensive reflection, examination, and rehearsal, and the sheet music serves as an aide memoire. It was Rachmaninoff, I believe, who, while traveling by train between concerts, would learn and rehearse pieces using only sheet music--no piano at hand.
Sounds like you have baggage around classical (and sheet) music, Akiba, and you're allowing it to create a rather narrow view of the world.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Yes, I admitted I have a disdain for classical fluting, but I don't think it's necessarily baggage per se. I also like sheet music and use it. I still think that Galway's over-reliance on sheet music hints at a lack of musicality and a lack of profundity as an artist.

I wonder if it's possible to give a truly deep musical performance while reading sheet music. I think perhaps the act of engaging the eyesight by reading sheet music (even if it is just as a reminder) detracts from an overall musical, aural, artistic performance of sound. I think Galway is guilty of this. I think perhaps he is shallow as an artist and bit of a hack, a very technically gifted hack.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

The purpose of posting the clip was NOT to provide a platform for criticising James Galway, and I find it very disappointing that that's the way this discussion has developed.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

kenny wrote:The purpose of posting the clip was NOT to provide a platform for criticising James Galway, and I find it very disappointing that that's the way this discussion has developed.
Your original post was rather vanilla and non-directional. I think critiquing Galway was fair play. But I'm done now. Carry on. I'll start--"Gee willickers, isn't that just a great clip!"
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I have the utmost respect for James Galway. My problem is with the musical-industrial complex who, at some point in the 70's-80's decided all flautists should sound like James Galway -- that big, piercing sound that I find a little grating. (This is from my wife, who was a flute major in college. She prefers Galway's sound but Rampal's playing.) My taste has always been toward the dulcet Rampal-like, kind of sweet sound.

Re: the classical-music-reading vs. playing by ear discussion: Some time ago I got a DVD about Stephane Grapelli, mostly because it had some great footage of him playing with Django Reinhardt. Sometime, I think in the 80's or 90's, someone decided it would be great to get Grapelli and Yehudi Menuhin together. There's footage of Grapelli voicing his intimidation at playing with this great classical violinist. It turned out that Menuhin was just as intimidated about playing with Grapelli. Each considered the other's music harder to play. I found it amazing and refreshing that each of these guys, incredibly revered all over the world, was so humble.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Jason, if you didn't assume that Galway was reading music (if indeed he was - the music might have only been there for reference) you'd think his music was great. It 's rude to stand on the shoulders of a giant and piss on his head. Matt Molloy is no fool, nor is Paddy Moloney. If they didn't think Galway brought it with him he wouldn't be with them. It's easier to be critical than it is to be generous and appreciative. Your music would be the better for it were you appreciative and generous, as great musicians are. As has been pointed out, reading music, for musicians on that level, is irrelevant to the performance. For chrissake, the Budapest Quartet read music when they performed.
There are some discussions that should be carried on in private, in a pub perhaps, over a pint, and not on a public forum.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Akiba

Post by Akiba »

Ahhh...the [Grand Poo-bah] has spoken. Christ, you guys are really taking offense about my opinion of Galway. Great player; lacks depth. That's all I'm saying. Pissing on his head--rather hyperbolic, don't you think? I'm sure Sir James is not reading this forum and having a bad day from what I said. Lighten up, people. Should we all just sit around sipping tea and saying pleasant, innocuous things to each other? (How civilized; how boring if that's all there is.) I have a strong opinion about Galway and a notion about sheet music. If we can't discuss this stuff here, then where? Why not here?

And are you saying there should be no criticism of art and artists? That's ridiculous.
Last edited by Akiba on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akiba

Post by Akiba »

And about the Chieftains playing with Galway, I think that mainly has to do with $$$ more than the fact that they think he's such a great artist. They could have 1000 other flutists doing just as good of a job as Galway. It doesn't have to do with the music; it has to do with the $$$, as Chas was alluding to. Now, I don't blame Paddy Moloney for all the commercial decisions he's made. Hell, if I we're trying to make a living as a musician, I'd do the same.
Last edited by Akiba on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Akiba wrote:Ahhh...the grand pubba has spoken.
Ah. You threw me for a minute there. I was pronouncing it wrong because of the spelling. But you're referring to the Grand Poobah, or, in the Mikado version, Pooh-bah.

Gottit. :thumbsup:
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

:D
As some day it may happen that a victim must be found, I've got a little list--I've got a little list Of society ...
:D

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

We are definitely dancing about architecture here! Sorry, Kenny. I very much appreciate the original post -- musical as all get-out, in my book (oh god, I said "book," as in "printed," as in ... nooooooooooo!!!).
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
PhilD

Post by PhilD »

I'm sort of with you Akiba on your view of Sir Galway. Whenever I have heard him, its never really moved me in any way emotionally. I'm pretty sure that a lot of people that do like his musical approach and get much from it. I appreciate the mastery he displays over of his instrument though, and I just wish I could read music!
Its maybe a little clinical to say this collaboration was a money grab. Thats a very modern view of an historical event. The Chieftains have always been about bridging musical worlds, as a way of opening up Irish music to new audiences, through their collaborations. It makes sense that they would choose people who were prominent in their respective fields to collaborate with.

I love the Butterfly. Thanks for the clip

...and the discussion!
Akiba

Post by Akiba »

True, it's a balance of $$$ with exposure with an artist that makes sense to collaborate with. I'll give you that.