Dry throat when playing flute.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
AngelicBeaver
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Dry throat when playing flute.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

I'm a low whistle player, but I'd like to be able to play flute as well, for variety, but I've found that my throat dries out while I'm playing flute for any extended period of time, meaning more than just a few minutes. This never happens when I play whistle. Is there something I should be doing to prevent this? The only thing that helps is to stop and drink some water, but my throat is uncomfortably scratchy by the time I finish the next tune.
Nathaniel James Dowell
Feadoggie

Re: Dry throat when playing flute.

Post by Feadoggie »

AngelicBeaver wrote:Is there something I should be doing to prevent this?
Practice, practice, practice ... and work to develop a focused and efficient embouchure.

It's hard to say what may be going on without watching you play but my guess is that you are using to much air - both in and out - drying out the throat in the process. A bit too much huffing and puffing might be at play. It's not uncommon in the early stages with the flute or if you are an occasional player. If you don't have the same issue on a low D, say, then I'm guessing you need to work a bit more on your embouchure to tighten it up some. The flute is a very efficient instrument compared to a whistle and should require less air. You should be able to play longer phrases between breaths on the flute. But mind you this is just a guess on my part.

Otherwise dry mouth can happen on both instruments. Placing a hard candy,a piece of gum or similar in the cheek can help get the juices flowing to solve some of that. Water and the usual adult beverages are common cures as well. I usually have a glass of iced tea handy for between tunes this time of year. Best to stay ahead of the drying out.

I'm sure others will have thoughts to share as well.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Just a thought, but could you be subconsciously vocalising while playing as I used to do (still do sometimes)? In which case, you need to consciously stop it. :)
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

benhall.1 wrote:Just a thought, but could you be subconsciously vocalising while playing as I used to do (still do sometimes)? In which case, you need to consciously stop it. :)
Someone should tell Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull to stop! ;)
EDIT: Is this you Ben? :D
http://youtu.be/zic2jFZ745w
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
vince Kuhn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by vince Kuhn »

FWIW, I too get a dry throat after a few tunes. I have a bottle of water with me when I play or practice, and that seems to work for me.
good luck, keep playing !!
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

Thanks for the replies. I've been playing on and off for a couple of years now (more off than on), so my embouchure definitely has room for improvement. I still struggle in the second octave, although the consistency is getting there. I stay late at the office to give myself 15 to 30 minutes of practice every day, as well as any time I can squeeze in when I can.

The flute has frustrated me from the beginning, so I'm trying to throw a ton of practice at it in order to get over the hump. I want it to be as easy as whistling. Right now, it's like I'm playing a bad whistle with interesting tonal characteristics, and my wife hates the sound. I don't know if she'll ever like the sound of the flute, but I'm hoping that I can (at least) get to the point where I'm confident that it's flute she doesn't like, and not my terrible playing.
Nathaniel James Dowell
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

My suggestion (fwiw): get a few lessons with a flute player! Doesn't matter if the teacher plays Irish or silver. From your post, it sounds like you're just reinforcing bad habits. If that's the case, no amount of practice will cure it! Just one or two lessons with a teacher will get you on the right path. We can say "focus your embouchure" 'til we're blue in the face, but if you don't know how to do it, well, see above...

Just thought of another option - maybe take a Skype lesson (or three) from Blaine Chastain...

Good luck!!!

Pat

P.s. If you post a clip (if you're brave enough), maybe we can make better suggestions.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

AngelicBeaver wrote:I want it to be as easy as whistling.
Unlike whistling, Lauren Bacall may not be the best teacher, sad to say.
AngelicBeaver wrote:The flute has frustrated me from the beginning, so I'm trying to throw a ton of practice at it in order to get over the hump. I want it to be as easy as whistling. Right now, it's like I'm playing a bad whistle with interesting tonal characteristics, and my wife hates the sound. I don't know if she'll ever like the sound of the flute, but I'm hoping that I can (at least) get to the point where I'm confident that it's flute she doesn't like, and not my terrible playing.
Listen to Plunk111.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I have the problem of no dry eyes in the room when I'm playing - everyone's falling about laughing.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

AngelicBeaver wrote:Is there something I should be doing to prevent this?
Yeah, keep playing and don't think about it. This is one of those issues that will mysteriously sort itself out with time if you play enough. Focus on the tone you produce rather than any of the mechanics. Your subconscious will sort it out and then you'll never have to think it out again*.

*Except after long non-playing layoffs, when you might need to play in your lip to regain your former sound.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Lars Larry Mór Mott wrote: Someone should tell Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull to stop!
With pleasure, but with little expectation of success. Le sigh!
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Angel Shadowsong

Post by Angel Shadowsong »

I had the same syndrome to, after sometime I got over it after perfecting my embouchure.

If it does happen, my theory is you are exhaling a lot of air and you lack control of embouchure.

Embouchure control minimize the air and perfects the not execution.

I do expect a dry lips instead of a dry throat.
Quote by Zig Ziglar: “Success occurs when opportunity meets preparation”
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Embouchure is often a matter of muscle tone as much as technique. Sometimes you just have to play through it and wait for the right lip muscles to develop.

C.S. Lewis
nohoval_turrets

Post by nohoval_turrets »

If you're using a lot of throat articulation, it might be worth examining that a bit. I used to find that using a lot of "energetic" throat articulation caused some irritation, and is counter-productive in any case. If you're not using throat articulation, then ignore!