Missing Murray

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
tucson_whistler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Missing Murray

Post by tucson_whistler »

Ignoring the advice of many on this board, I ordered a flute from Sam Murray almost 2 years ago and paid for it almost 1.5 years ago (January before last).

Since then I have emailed, phoned, left messages, been in person to his shop once, and had a friend of mine in Loughrea try to track him down. I'm in Loughrea now, and my friend has discovered Sam has moved his shop. Does anyone know where he has gone or how I can get ahold of him?

Thanks...
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: Missing Murray

Post by Jon C. »

Well that sucks, big time. One of these stories every year, and people keep sending money... :boggle:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I'm afraid The Last Train has Left Loughrea, or at least Vincent Broderick tells us. . .

You have my deepest sympathies. . .

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

Yes, I can't complain in the sense that I was warned... I'll add my voice to the multitude and say don't send him any money until you have the flute in hand.

[Thread given a minor dusting. Carry on :) - Mod]
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Isn't it really high time there was a sticky post here warning about Sam Murray. How many times does this need to happen?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

ChrisLaughlin wrote:Isn't it really high time there was a sticky post here warning about Sam Murray. How many times does this need to happen?
Do you want to pay for Dale's legal fees for editorially singling out one maker? Great! We'll let you know where to send the check.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Should have happened long ago, but I doubt it ever will. Too politically incorrect.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Loren wrote:Too politically incorrect.
Uh, no. But thanks for explaining that to us.

ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

MTGuru wrote:
ChrisLaughlin wrote:Isn't it really high time there was a sticky post here warning about Sam Murray. How many times does this need to happen?
Do you want to pay for Dale's legal fees for editorially singling out one maker? Great! We'll let you know where to send the check.
No need for a snarky response, truly.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

ChrisLaughlin wrote:No need for a snarky response, truly.
Perhaps not, Chris. But there's no need to raise this issue again, either. Truly.

The Chiffboard is not going to take an administrative action - creating a sticky thread - that exposes the board to potential legal liability and/or violation of the Safe Harbor provisions of US internet law.

We have no objection to members honestly describing their interactions, good or bad, with a maker or any individual, within the guidelines set out by the board's CCCP Rules.

And we encourage members to use the searching, browsing, and partipation functions of the board to read up on anyone they expect to do business with - as the OP here obviously did.

Cheers,

Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Yet there is a sticky warning folks about Pakistani flutes. Hopefully, the entire country doesn't decide to sue Dale....

I understand the concerns about singling out one individual, yet it apparently goes on and on. As Jon C. mentioned earlier, it just sucks that this comes up again and again.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Steve Bliven wrote:Yet there is a sticky warning folks about Pakistani flutes. Hopefully, the entire country doesn't decide to sue Dale....
That topic title is actually (and deliberately) "Cheap eBay Flutes" - a broader category, with members filling in details from their own experiences.

But yes ... When you've been around the block as long as Dale has, you're bound to have ticked off an entire nation-state or two along the way. I mean, c'mon, who hasn't?

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

MTGuru wrote:
Steve Bliven wrote:Yet there is a sticky warning folks about Pakistani flutes. Hopefully, the entire country doesn't decide to sue Dale....
That topic title is actually (and deliberately) "Cheap eBay Flutes" - a broader category, with members filling in details from their own experiences.

But yes ... When you've been around the block as long as Dale has, you're bound to have ticked off an entire nation-state or two along the way. I mean, c'mon, who hasn't?
I know I have.
Brus

Post by Brus »

MTGuru wrote:When you've been around the block as long as Dale has, you're bound to have ticked off an entire nation-state or two along the way. I mean, c'mon, who hasn't?
Is that supposed to be a bad thing?
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Ok if a sticky warning people not to send money to Sam, or leave flutes in his workshop isn't on the cards, how about if people who've had flutes and/or money stolen by Sam Murray just post their stories on the Lost/Stolen/Missing Instruments Chiff & Fipple forum, even though we know who the thief is?