which temperament?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: which temperament?

Post by benhall.1 »

jemtheflute wrote:
Doug_Tipple wrote:Equal temperment is the current accepted standard. However, Just intonation is what a musically sensitive person hears because the intervals are based on rational numbers, which humans are innately tuned to hear and play. Flute embouchure is much like the fretless violin. Both require the player to hear the pitch that is appropriate for the musical setting. You don't just toot and hope for the best. You listen and with enough experience and practice play an acceptable note.
Aaaaagh. Doug, that is (kinda) true, but just as irrelevant (unhelpful, really, though well-meant) to the OP as the other similar posts above. As I tried to explain before, the player (by using the normal mechanisms of the tuning slide and stopper adjustment) CANNOT alter or 'tune' the flute's scaling or temperament. Those are built in. S/he can ONLY adjust octave width and set the overall pitch to a reference pitch. The last can be done by ear to a reference tone or by gadget by measuring an output tone from the instrument. But it doesn't matter a tuppenny cuss what tuning scheme or temperament the gadget is set to (so long as it is calibrated on A=440). You can set it to 12TET, JI, 6th comma meantone, Werckmeister III or Bitter & Twisted (too young to be an ex-) Hippy 52. Doesn't matter a damn. You can't tune your flute to the scale selected. Sure, you can try to play in such a tuning by lipping in according to what your ears tell you, but that's as far as it goes. We all do that (or should!) as we listen to ourselves and those around us.
'Sfunny thing, but it reads to me like you're both saying the same thing ... :-?
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Doug_Tipple wrote:I play it in a Pogues-tribute band called Waxies (Waxy's?) Dargle.
That settles it then. You need to set your tuner to Just Intemperance.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

benhall.1 wrote:'Sfunny thing, but it reads to me like you're both saying the same thing ... :-?
In some (important) respects, yes, we are, but it is the angle of coming at it that is bugging me and where (importantly) we are not (apparently) saying the same thing. Doug's and others' posts have tacitly implied (even if they didn't mean to) that the OP or any possessor of such a gadget has a choice of what temperament/tuning system to apply to their flutes - which they have not. I won't repeat myself further.

However, my last was cross-posted with Mike's where he explained what he was trying to do. Certainly, one can play a flute as-is and use this app to try to establish what temperament its scaling most resembles, FWTW. I'm dubious as to whether that will reveal anything more useful than could be achieved by setting the tuner to 12TET and observing/recording the differing deviations from it for each flute (or by using Flutini or RTTA). (Yes, Mike, measure them all against one standard - but the historic unequal temperaments aren't relevant, for reasons really not worth setting about trying to explain.....)

I don't know what tuning system Stephane Morvan builds into his flutes, but I wouldn't mind betting it's close to 12TET, give or take the inevitable constructional compromises. Sam Murray by all accounts tends to copy his originals fairly accurately, so presumably a flute by him will have C19th scaling/intonation as measured from extant flutes (which however perfectly preserved are unlikely to retain their exact original dimensions and intonation). The Purday is what it is. Neither the Murray nor the Purday will have been built originally to intrinsically play any one particular tuning schema. Not 12TET, though they were probably aiming at being serviceable for something approaching that, not JI, and assuredly none of the unequal temperaments.

This is where I take issue with Hans comment about JI. So far as I have ever read or otherwise discovered, C19th simple system (and other) flutes were not designed for JI. Moreover, whatever ideal of tuning their makers or buyers may have held to, they could not usefully build instruments which specifically satisfied any such tuning scheme. This is because of the wide tuning range they had to try to provide in a single instrument because of the non-standardisation of playing pitch and the wide variance a player could expect to encounter. As a result, to give a concert D flute about 30mm of tuning slide (about a tone!) and yet have it still be playable kind-of acceptably in tune ("lippable") at the extremes of that range, they had to stretch the instrument's scaling, adding further complex compromises to those already inherent in getting a tolerably tuned (in any tuning schema) 3 8ve chromatic scale at any given single pitch standard. And that is without taking cognisance of how they set about tuning (no pitch-measuring gadgets!- just ears and beat-counting) and testing the tuning (embouchure vagaries etc. [which still applies to a modern maker]) and how accurately they may have been capable of achieving any particular tuning.

The result is an instrument the scaling of which will not necessarily perfectly conform (save by chance) to any specific tuning schema at any particular point within its tunable range. And as Terry has written (lots of stuff about related matters on his website...), we have enough difficulty trying to establish what, if any (within the range) pitch the maker of any one flute may have been aiming at or that it performs "best" at, let alone what temperament. And then there are all the vexatious issues like whether you utilise the key-vented fingerings when making your measurements/assessment of the given flute, etc. etc.
E.g. the Morvan Pratten is probably designed to try to be in tune without key-venting.... the Murray probably needs it and the Purday certainly will.
E.e.g. If the Murray/Purday F#s are in tune in 12TET vented but flat to it unvented, that is not evidence that the maker was aiming at JI!

Modern makers have a relatively level playing field - they can aim at one reference pitch and design to optimise intonation at that to whatever tuning schema. The old guys had to try to make a flute that was as little out of tune as feasible at any point in a wide tuning range, resulting in a flute inevitably not truly in tune to any set intonation schema anywhere in its range.

The old flutes (and accurate copies of them) tend to have sharp As and Bs partly because of the design compromises, but also, we suspect, because of the specific kinds of bore distortion which occur in the upper body joint over time - cf Terry's tenon compression theories - and the effects those specifically have on tuning.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

What does "imortantly" mean?

:twisted:
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

benhall.1 wrote:What does "imortantly" mean?

If you don't know, (ho)p off! :D

Niggly typo-chasing off-topic nit-picker...... I've fixed it now.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

jemtheflute wrote:In some (important) respects, yes, we are, but it is the angle of coming at it that is bugging me and where (imortantly) we are not (apparently) saying the same thing. Doug's and others' posts have tacitly implied (even if they didn't mean to) that the OP or any possessor of such a gadget has a choice of what temperament/tuning system to apply to their flutes - which they have not. I won't repeat myself further.
What's more imortant ... I don't agree with you. Simple system flutes are, as we must surely all agree, 'tuned' with a series of compromises built into them, for almost every note. (Modern ones may have less, provided you're happy to play in a restricted number of different keys and not play too high.) This means that every note, to a greater or lesser extent, has to be blown into tune. That also means that the player does have the choice as to whether to aim for (and possibly succeed in nearly attaining) ET, one or other form of JI etc. Me, I find myself gravitating, the more I learn about the flute, more and more towards the sort of mixed JI and "expressive intonation" which is natural to fiddle players. Funny, that.

Of course, I wouldn't use to a tuner to tell me how to play. That would almost inevitably mean that I'd be playing out of tune.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Now who's saying the same stuff? ;-)

What seemed (and still seems) to me important, given how the early posts in this thread read and the apparent misunderstandings inherent in them (to my reading), was to avoid and clearly quash any misapprehension by the caught-in-the-headlights, technologically mesmerised and less-than-well-informed about the concept and practicalities of temperament reader that they should be expecting to use a fancy tuner to try tune their flute to some special tuning. They shouldn't, they can't.

So far as that aspect of this thread is concerned, forget it. Just tune your flute to a reference pitch/the company and then do your best to play it in tune by using your ears and the player controlled variables.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Told you you were saying the same as Doug. He used less words.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Which is imortant.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

As a result of an intercession from Jem off-thread (yes, against the rules [Queensbury] but what the heck?) I have been led to believe that I may have misread what Doug was saying. I have therefore come to the conclusion, led by Jem, that it IS imortant to tune to a tuner, and to choose which temperament to set the tuner to, as only then will you be able to play the flute.

Thank you Jem!

jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Dastard! Inverter! Perverter! FiBber! :really: :swear:

(Oh, and you think that/anything'll help? Ho Hum.... ;-))

Anyway, it was more what Doug didn't say......

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

"Ho hum"?

heh heh
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

benhall.1 wrote:He used less words.
If we're going to have a nice argument here and I'm allowed to join in, surely he used fewer words? And it's imortantimortant (doubly imortant) to get pedantry right if you're going to do it all...
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Peter Duggan wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:He used less words.
If we're going to have a nice argument here and I'm allowed to join in, surely he used fewer words? And it's imortantimortant (doubly imortant) to get pedantry right if you're going to do it all...
I prefer "less". Because, of course, unlike "fewer", "less" is "more".

... besides, I wasn't being pedantic in that post. I was saving that for elsewhere.

[sniff]
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Nice. Nicety nice.

And nary a mean tone, not being ill-tempered.......

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums