US Irish whistle festival! We want your ideas!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
nickthepiedpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love Irish whistles and I make them and play them and at times I enjoy talking about them. I also play Uilleann pipes and love Celtic music in general.

Re: US Irish whistle festival! We want your ideas!

Post by nickthepiedpiper »

Dude, you actually had me going there for a minute, I was getting quite annoyed! Until I read the end... Nice one!
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

PUNKED ! :pint:

Cheers,
Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

nickthepiedpiper wrote:I've come to the realization that since I can't make everyone happy, I'll do what I like for the most part and call it a day.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If I may step one toe outta ITM and into Country (for a moment), to the naysayers :) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxEypaI1LjE
:)

The new design idea works for me, I'd increase the size of silhouette emphasizing the whistler as much as possible, allowing title size to increase as well. I would caution on use of soft pastel sunset colors as they may not "reproduce" in multiple dissemination formats, color or B&W.

My original idea, with the tune, maybe I was thinking of just a few bars of staff notation with notes "dancing" which immediately implies music of some sort.

If it all goes well, viral, this event may be the defining "moment" in history... the day the whistle changed the world. (second to C&F that is) Respectfully submitted, :)
O'Mulriain

Post by O'Mulriain »

Just an update I'm working at one word a day, and I've reversed the coloring so that they can go on a black background. If you would like me to, Nick, I could apply them to the poster you made (if you removed the already present text and just gave me your artwork with the silhouette and the coast) Anyways here's today's word, Fipple:

Also I'll do "fest" tomorrow, and then "whistle". "Irish" and "whistle" are kinda just extras in case you want to change the title from "Fipple Fest" to something else.
A person can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in their own work. This too, I see, is from the hand of God. Ecclesiastes 2:24
Magickdancer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Magickdancer »

I'm really diggin' the artwork, O'Mulriain! I also like that it's clear what each letter is. In some fonts, the design is such that it's hard to read a capital L when it looks like a capital i - on the second version of the poster with the Oregon coast background, I kept reading "Fippie" even though my brain knew that it should be "Fipple" - it's because the letter P looks like a capital, as does the letter E, so the L looks like a capital i next to them (it's really the font designer's fault on this). Just a thought for Nick. I come from a graphic design background, so I go through this process all the time with posters using quasi-celtic or old-time-y fonts. What I'll do on posters is modify the letter to suit my needs, so it works out in the end.

I really hope I can go to this next year. I live in California, so it's not that long of a trip for me.

Have you contacted whistle maker Mitch Smith from Australia? I've been hoping to meet him in-person someday, as I have one of his whistles. :love:
nickthepiedpiper
Tell us something.: I love Irish whistles and I make them and play them and at times I enjoy talking about them. I also play Uilleann pipes and love Celtic music in general.

O'Mulriain, can you please email me your artwork files? I'll want to do some serious editing if my artwork to incorporate yours properly so having the files to work with would be great. My email address is nick@ethnicwind.com

We have tentative agreements with Cherish the Ladies and Solas (nothing signed yet) but wanted to let you all know of the progress. Also trying to get Colin Ferral, Have spoken with Geraldine Murray who runs an Irish Dance school in Portland and also is an excellent whistle player and she tentatively agreed as well.

Biggest need now is sponsors and donors!
nickthepiedpiper

I did email Mitch at OZ whistles
O'Mulriain

Post by O'Mulriain »

nickthepiedpiper wrote: O'Mulriain, can you please email me your artwork files? I'll want to do some serious editing if my artwork to incorporate yours properly so having the files to work with would be great. My email address is nick@ethnicwind.com
Okay. I was working on the word "fest" today but messed up on the detailing. I might be able to get it done tonight but probably not. When I do get it done I'll e-mail you the necessary words for "Fipple Fest". You want the letters white (on a black background), correct?
A person can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in their own work. This too, I see, is from the hand of God. Ecclesiastes 2:24
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

O'Mulriain, very nice artwork

Nick, I'd like to suggest for players some of the recent C&F thread discussions people, Kathleen Conneely, Noreen O'Sullivan, and Julie Fowlis too, but, you'd have to be "Brave" to ask her. Also, there was a Comhaltas group up in the pacific northwest area, maybe they would be interested in helping somehow, just a thought. :)

http://comhaltas.ie/locations/
Noreen

Post by Noreen »

Are ye considering a whistle-only festival? Like the idea :thumbsup: Count me in!
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Noreen wrote:Are ye considering a whistle-only festival? Like the idea :thumbsup: Count me in!
Wow! Noreen, very excited to see you here posting. :) I haven't had the pleasure, yet, meeting you, but have purchased your CD and really enjoy your playing. Lovely music, lovely. I also enjoyed reading your story in the current issue of Treoir. Back cover feature photo is delightful. I'm just a newbie whistler so haven't learned all the nuances of the whistle. I certainly hope you continue to make more CDs as this buyer here will guarantee a purchase. :) I may not be able to play, but, I certainly enjoy listening.

Noreen, any whistle tips for a newbie? :)

Well Nick, there you go... Noreen O'Sullivan :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

(maybe we should have done this whistle fest on the east coast :)
nickthepiedpiper

Noreen wrote:Are ye considering a whistle-only festival? Like the idea :thumbsup: Count me in!
Yes basically, although sure we will have a few other instruments around, but primarily whistles. Btw, Noreen, what are the odds of getting you to come perform for us?!
nickthepiedpiper

I'll take the artwork in whichever color you want to give it to me. I have photoshop so can work with it.
nickthepiedpiper

Denny wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:
nickthepiedpiper wrote:But all if which are mute points since I'm changing the design to a more politically correct thing. Just to make all of you happy.. And so you can feel the love!
Ah. Presumably you mean moot points, i.e. points worthy of further debate. :twisted:
or mutt points, i.e. points that will be chewed to pieces.Image
just noticed this one.... nice!!!!
nickthepiedpiper

O'Mulriain wrote:
nickthepiedpiper wrote: O'Mulriain, can you please email me your artwork files? I'll want to do some serious editing if my artwork to incorporate yours properly so having the files to work with would be great. My email address is nick@ethnicwind.com
Okay. I was working on the word "fest" today but messed up on the detailing. I might be able to get it done tonight but probably not. When I do get it done I'll e-mail you the necessary words for "Fipple Fest". You want the letters white (on a black background), correct?
btw if you can get them to me as a vector image I can retain the quality much better than if it is jpg. a Font file would work too, but I think that's more work for you.