Traditional Irish Pipers' Costume

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Traditional Irish Pipers' Costume

Post by Nanohedron »

PJ wrote:Eamonn Ceannt, who was the secretary of one of the pipers clubs in Dublin (Parnell St?), was very scathing of O'Mealy's attire. "Mealy spoiled his playing by the ridiculous costume he wore". According to Ceannt the union/uilleann pipes developed long after "irish national dress had disappeared".

Ceannt, who also played the War Pipes, was known to wear a saffron kilt.
How the pots and kettles heap. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

PJ wrote:Ceannt was known to wear a saffron kilt.
and had a liking for attacking brazilian marthon runners, running around formula one race tracks and appearing on "Britians got talent"

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Brus

Post by Brus »

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the picture in Larsen's Essential Guide. It can be seen here:

http://www.greylarsen.com/store/samples ... hap1-2.pdf

I've been unable to locate any more about the costume or Biggar's interpretation of it. Just that Biggar was "a well-known antiquarian."
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

havent we been down this road, fairly recently?
:sleep:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=57406&start=0&hilit=sartorial
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Brus wrote:I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the picture in Larsen's Essential Guide. It can be seen here:

http://www.greylarsen.com/store/samples ... hap1-2.pdf
I already did - sort of - on the previous page. There's a pic, the middle of three. It's not the same shot, it's been somewhat clumsily re-tooled with drawing (the original photo was probably very much the worse for wear), it's not the exact same getup precisely (mainly the cap is appointed differently), but it looks to me like it's the exact same business.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

CHasR wrote:havent we been down this road, fairly recently?
:sleep:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=57406&start=0&hilit=sartorial
That thread ended nearly 5 years ago.

Anyway, this is always a current topic. I was playing out a few weekends ago and someone asked me what the instrument was. I explained it was "Irish Bagpipes" and received what I now consider to be the dreaded zinger: "But why aren't you wearing a kilt?"

Seriously, next time I'm asked that, I'm going to reply with a flying head-butt!
PJ
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I've had similar questions. I point out that your average performing Irish guy musician typically dresses in the same class of street duds I wear. So, I'm good to go, aren't I. :wink:
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

(Joey Abarta)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

Leo Rowsome mostly wore a tuxedo for public performances.
ambaiste

Post by ambaiste »

In reply to kevin "Brian Howard threatened legal action against Dale"

Brian did not threaten legal action against Dale but against the perpetrators of the "flame wars"

Dorothy Howard
Company Secretary
Howard Music Ltd
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

ambaiste wrote:Brian did not threaten legal action against Dale but against the perpetrators of the "flame wars"

Dorothy Howard
Company Secretary
Howard Music Ltd
I didn't know that was possible. Can you sue someone for expressing an opinion or having a heated debate.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

rorybbellows wrote:Can you sue someone for expressing an opinion or having a heated debate.
If what they are saying is untrue and if it damages your reputation or good name, then yes, you can sue.
PJ
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

PJ wrote:If what they are saying is untrue and if it damages your reputation or good name, then yes, you can sue.
I would think the difficulty of sueing an individual for what was said on an internet forum must be huge. First you have to prove what was said was actual lies then trying to trace somebody,especially in another country would be costly.Then proving that a certain person wrote the lies when numerous people could have access to the computer from where the statements can from and I'm sure theres other legal mumbo jumbo to throw a spanner in the works.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
PJ

Post by PJ »

That's what it's easier just to sue the "publisher" (i.e. forum owner/operator).
PJ
Calum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Calum »

rorybbellows wrote:I would think the difficulty of sueing an individual for what was said on an internet forum must be huge.
Not necessarily
First you have to prove what was said was actual lies
Not in English law.
then trying to trace somebody,especially in another country would be costly.
Many posters here are trivially traceable back to their "real" identities. Most who are not are a couple of court orders away from being traceable.
Then proving that a certain person wrote the lies when numerous people could have access to the computer from where the statements can from and I'm sure theres other legal mumbo jumbo to throw a spanner in the works.
Civil suits are on the balance of probability, not beyond reasonable doubt (as in criminal trials). If you want to claim someone else wrote something using your account the onus is on you to show it.