Flute Materials

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jim stone

Re: Flute Materials

Post by jim stone »

About dymondwood. There were stories maybe a decade ago, that Sweetheart had abandoned the stuff cause the 'wood' sometimes broke down, chipped, whatever.
JCortese
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I got interested in flutes because I already play piano and harp and am interested in instruments that aren't also furniture, and that you can get onto an airplane without getting into a fight with the gate agent.

Post by JCortese »

Gotcha. Rats. I guess there will be no barfly-nail-polish-colored flute in my future. :-)

Regarding the PVC ... that's interesting that it's also classed as a polymer. I guess the word does sort of mean "plastic" in a casual sense. Still though ... it's definitely different from the polymer M&E. Although ... hm, now I'm wondering. The walls are thicker on my M&E, and I can see a head lining inside the aperture. I wonder how much weight that adds compared to the Tipple ... ?
--
Home flute: 6-key Copley & Boegli Delrin D
https://accidentalflutist.wordpress.com/
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Dymondwood - a lamination of thin (colour stained) Birch veneers impregnated with a resin - so a coloured ply
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Peter Duggan wrote:Well, all I can say is I've seen folks saying M&E's polymer is anything from Delrin to PVC, including (in the latter camp) Jayhawk here, so who knows?
From an email from yer man himself, Michael Cronnolly, "Its not delrin that my flutes are made from, it is a polymer made for me in Germany and has the same density as wood, that is why they are as good as wood."

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Play whatever you like...but for me not worrying about whether or not my flute will crack is a huge relief that makes playing much more enjoyable.

YMMV,

Eric
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

Jayhawk wrote:Play whatever you like...but for me not worrying about whether or not my flute will crack is a huge relief that makes playing much more enjoyable.

YMMV,

Eric
Amen to that. When I make any flute that has joints or tuning slides, I only use wood that has been through a vacuum resin stabilization process or delrin. I don't want to worry that any flute I send out into the world might have issues from wood movement.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

A short stroll through various wikipedia (I know, I know. . .) articles concerning Polymers, Plastics, Thermoplastics, Thermo-setting Plastics, Resin based Plastic, Malleability might lift some of the fog occurring in this thread. :D

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
paddler

Post by paddler »

A lot of discussion above has focused on the "density" of flute materials (something easily quantified), but other properties, such as hardness, elasticity, and granularity likely have more impact on energy loss. The granularity of the material is important for creating a very smooth bore (in the absence of a separate surface coat, which itself raises questions about durability over long term use, and the ability to produce a coated bore to adequately fine tolerances). High density does not necessarily imply low energy loss. Dense materials can be soft, inelastic, and coarse grained, and hence have high energy loss.
Viking of Kiev
Tell us something.: The nick is outdated, I'd been living in Kiev for 13 years but now I am located in St.Petersburg, Russia.

Post by Viking of Kiev »

About dymondwood. There were stories maybe a decade ago, that Sweetheart had abandoned the stuff cause the 'wood' sometimes broke down, chipped, whatever.
About ten years ago my now former bandmate bought a flute from Sweetheart, in dymondwood. It was "resonance" model, as far as I remember. No keys, no tuning slide, just two parts. The flute was made brilliantly and played well, just Cnat was a bit higher than usual with standard 0xx000 fingering. Tone was not very mighty but in tune and in all normal for an irish flute. Later on my friend went to a local maker and set four keys onto the flute which worked ok. But with time, I dont remember how soon, cracks began appearing in the flute. It ended up with about six or seven cracks in total, both in head and body, which my friend managed to glue from time to time with cyanacrilate so that the flute continued to work well. One more weird thing was that this flute really gained weight while it was played - it just soaked moist from inside and you could feel it just weighing the flute in hand before and after playing. And - it really sounded better being wet and heavy.
It cracked nastily but yet it worked! Finally my friend bought a keyed Hammy and sold the Sweetheart. I would not get surprised to know that the flute still works well up to now. Though, after that, the dymondwood is not the material I'd recommend to have a flute or whistle of.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Great story.
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

I recently swapped out my Gene Milligan D-whistle body from Cocobolo to Delrin, keeping the same (Delrin) head. Although Gene stated clearly that the tonal characteristic comes from the head, I definitely noticed a tonal change. Less "woody" or "recorder" and more "crisp", but still not all the way to metallic. I don't notice it much now, but it was apparent the moment I changed. The sidewalls are thinner with the Delrin, and certainly the Delrin is heavier and more solid than Cocobolo; clicking it against something is tight and crisp rather than tock-tock, but I don't know whether the tonal change comes from the density, thinner walls, or the polished surface.

I'm quite happy with the change.

D-Flutes operate an octave below the whistle, so I wouldn't know if my observation carries over.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

dymondwood....cracks began appearing in the flute.......this flute really gained weight while it was played - it just soaked moist from inside
Not surprising as around 50% of the internal (& external) area exposed to moisture would have been end grain (which sucks up moisture like a sponge). Ply is made by laminating thin sheets of veneer, each sheet layed at right angles to the previous. This makes for a strong stable material except for the fact that endgrain (50% ) is exposed on all edges, leave a sheet of ply out in rain for a while and it will delaminate along the edges.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

How important are the materials from which instruments are made?

http://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/musFAQ. ... dmaterials
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Gromit wrote:How important are the materials from which instruments are made?

http://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/musFAQ. ... dmaterials
The study they refer to only compared different metals didn't it? Just a thought ...
TWO TOOTS

Post by TWO TOOTS »

paddler wrote; " High density does not necessarily imply low energy loss."

It certainly does when coupled with the property of Durability ( hardness ) as myself and others have mentioned earlier.

also............... " Dense materials can be soft, inelastic, and coarse grained, and hence have high energy loss."

I imagine this is why dense and durable materials such as hardwoods and certain polymers, which do not have these other unwanted properties you mention, are the most favoured and common materials employed in flute making. :)