Using two whistles during one tune!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
bittafchiff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Using two whistles during one tune!

Post by bittafchiff »

A harmonica playing friend of mine often uses two different mouth organs during the same tune. Does this sort of thing happen in the pennywhistle world, and what would be the advantages/disadvantages?
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

Sometimes when you are playing with others and they play a "set",
the key-signature will be sooooo different, that no way can you possibly
play it on the same whistle and have to change, but most players try
to get 3-set-tunes that are fairly similar. Also, sometimes performers
will change keys in the middle of a tune for effect, so if you are playing
along with one of those people, you might have to change whistles too.
Lolly
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Sometimes on the street I switch between
a G flute and a G whistle in the same tune.
I'm playing with other instruments and they
fill in the 'gap.'
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

If you were playing klezmer on whistle, you'd need to change whistle every time there was a change of mode. My guess is that two whistlers alternating would be the best way to approach a challenge like this.
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

If you are playing a tune which modulates up a half step (e.g. from D to Eb), it's best to have two whistles with one a half-step higher than the other. That way you can change whistles and use the same fingering.

However, it usually just takes one whistle if the song modulates up a FULL step, which adds two sharps or subtracts two flats from the key signature. That whistle will be the one whose key signature is between those of the keys of the tune. For example, if it modulates from D (2 sharps) to E (4 sharps), use an A whistle (3 sharps). That way, you have only one half-hole either way.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
harrywhohaa

Post by harrywhohaa »

I have seen Johnny Cash do the two harmonica thing and it's really cool

The main problem with changing whistles mid tune is time elapse between putting down one whistle and picking up the next. This problem can be solved in two ways:

- Having one or more whistles nostril blown OR;
- Having a purpose built Led Zeppelin guitar style twin body whistle

Given the present nature communicable diseases lets go down the Zeppelin path.

What we need here is a single mouthpiece twin body arrangement where the flow of air can be channeled by a deflector in the mouthpiece operated by the tongue.

The bodies would be removeable to allow any combinations of keying.

Come on whistle makers lets get on board!
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

If I understand the question correctly the question Bitt asked, he was wondering if anyone played two whistles AT THE SAME TIME. Is this true?

Even if not, I have seen someone play two recorders AT THE SAME TIME!

It was amazing. This was the concert that my wife and I went to that got us interested in music playing again. The recorder player of "RED PRIEST" and the rest of the group were playing a song. He then goes into a solo. Part way through the solo he pulls out a second recorder. Instead of switching, he starts playing it at the same time. Not only that, he was playing them in harmony! I was floored! Sorry I do not remember his name, but can get it if anyone is interested.

Steven
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

Two at once? Mere mortals! Last summer I spotted a busker playing three at once with a little help from his nose. I've got a pic up at work to prove it. One of these days I'll scan it and post it as evidence. :)

For some reason, nobody asked to try out the one he'd been playing through his nose. ;)
Jef
Jetboy

2 whistles in a tune.

Post by Jetboy »

One of my session players uses 4 mouth organs during a tune and a pal of mine has written a tune with a D first part and an A second part. As I find A on a D whistle an absolute bitch, I change whistles at the cut. You,ve got to be quick though, a lanyard round the neck helps!
Whistlepeg

Post by Whistlepeg »

Yes, you can play 2 at the same time to produce a "duet" Cathal McConnell from Boys of the Lough has done this for years and has become very good at it!
Take 2 whistles of same pitch and on one of them put tape over the top 3 holes - then put your fingers over the bottom 3 holes. On the other whistle, put your fingers on the top 3 holes. If you usually play with your left hand on top, play the untaped whistle with your left hand and the taped whistle with your right (playing the bottom 3 notes). Now play the two whistles as though they were one and experiment with your harmonies
Kar

Post by Kar »

Erik the Flutemaker sells these "double" whistles, with the three top holes covered on one and all the holes open on the other. They are GREAT fun to play. I love mine. For the "drone" side, you can leave it with three holes open and have a G drone while you play the other whistle, OR you can cover the three bottom drone holes with one hand for a D drone while you play the other whistle with one hand, or you can do four fingers on one and three on the drone and just play all sorts of things!

And I'll admit, I stuck a whistle up my nose to see if it could be played that way and it could but I realized, once I tried, that I didn't REALLY want to do it.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Kar wrote: And I'll admit, I stuck a whistle up my nose to see if it could be played that way and it could but I realized, once I tried, that I didn't REALLY want to do it.
:-? I didn't think ANYONE would admit to doing THAT! :boggle:

Yuchy!
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
pipingturtle

Post by pipingturtle »

I once saw a picture of this famous musician chappie (now dead) playing an oboe and a cor anglais at the same time.

TTFN.
Gadget

Post by Gadget »

I have played my D and F whistles at the same time. Using the index, middle, ring and pinky finger on each of the whistles one can compose some pretty detailed tunes, and the two different tones together are really haunting.
That and you are very likely to get the Oo's and Ah's of anybody watching. ;)
Experiance shows that a very populace city can seldom, if ever, be properly governed.
-Aristotle