OT: What product is "Hunky Dory"?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

OT: What product is "Hunky Dory"?

Post by avanutria »

In the states, something is "hunky dory" if it is good or in an acceptable state, i.e. "everything is hunky-dory." (Similar to "tickety-boo", Martin.)

Definition: http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/hunky-dory

Possible origin: http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-hun2.htm

But in Ireland, we found this sign on a SuperValu shop:

http://www.rit.edu/~eeg6662/ireland/hunky_dory_sign.jpg

What were they selling?? Any help?
Sunnywindo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sunnywindo »

Oh my!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, whatever they are selling, I'm sure it's really hunky dory! (We'd hope.) :boggle:

:) Sara

Now this is the end of, the end of our story story. This is the end of, the end of our story story. Everything is *clap* hunky dory dory... children of the Lord. (The only place that I have ever recalled actually hearing the term "hunky dory" being used... in a song I recall from childhood.)
Last edited by Sunnywindo on Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

DCrom

Post by DCrom »

What I want to know is - why the Irish fascination with that particular flavor (cheese and spring onion).

Last fall, while working in Cork for a couple of weeks, I was fascinated to find that the snack machine at work devoted half its space (3 rows of 5 selections each) to potato crisps. All cheese and spring onion flavored. :boggle:

I mean, it's a good flavor, but what's wrong with plain, or malt vinegar, or any of the other possible flavors??? (Or flavours. I drop the 'u' because I'm American, OK? :D )
Marko

Post by Marko »

DCrom wrote:What I want to know is - why the Irish fascination with that particular flavor (cheese and spring onion).
Tayto made the first cheese and onion crisps, and introduced them in Ireland. and they go great with Guinness. so which flavour is most popular in the US then?
Marko

Post by Marko »

and anyway, the blue ones are salt and vinegar! so there ya go.
Marko

Post by Marko »

what is plain, anyway? there must be some sort of flavouring in there?
Kar

Post by Kar »

Oh, Hunky Dory! Yes! When I was in Dublin, I saw these chips and noticed them first because of the weird/stupid name...and then, upon closer inspection, saw they were BUFFALO FLAVORED. Yes, buffalo. Now, I noticed that the Irish seemed to have unusual flavored chips (crisps, if you like): Curry, Shrimp, Seafood Bisque.... But the buffalo took the cake.

I tried them, of course. They were sort of a nasty BBQ flavor--but I don't like regular BBQ chips, so maybe they just weren't to my taste. However, I washed out the bag to bring home and paste in my Ireland scrapbook. You can still smell the buffalo flavor in the bag.

Nothing like cultural diversity! Vive la difference!
Tony

Post by Tony »

I would hate to think what buffalo really smell like.
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

Hey, not fair! Now I'm getting a terrible craving for potato chips and have no way of currently getting any. :sniffle: Aaaah! Plain, not "buffalo" flavored. (I think plain is, um... fried salty potato flavor?) Mmmmmm... *drool*

:) Sara
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-Might the "Buffalo" flavor intend "Buffalo Wing" flavor a la Homer Simpson? (Cows don't fly. Buffalo, OTOH...)
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-Might the "Buffalo" flavor intend "Buffalo Wing" flavor a la Homer Simpson? (Cows don't fly. Buffalo, OTOH...)
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

Which flavor is the most popular in the US? Regular (plain)...like Sara said, usually thick ruffled-cut salty, crispy fried potato taste. I would say the second favorite is probably sour cream & onion, and then probably some cheesy form or barbecue.

:)

I don't like potato chips unless it's a rare occasion and they are very thin and smooth...can't stand the thick ruffle-cut ones. I like tortilla chips.