Good Lullabies?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
anticDevices
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Good Lullabies?

Post by anticDevices »

I'm looking for good lullabies - or especially good songs to help sooth, calm or delight infants. We're expecting our first around the middle of October and I figured it would it might be a good idea to have a repertoire on hand. For what it's worth I'd rate myself a beginner, but please don't let that influence your input too much. Some day I'll get better and hopefully it'll happen while my child is still young. Or worse case scenario while my grandchildren are still young. I'll be happy to have something to work toward.

On a related note, given my intended audience, how vital is it to master a whistle in a lower key than soprano D? I guess I’m asking how much preference is shown by infants for lower keys?

Thanks all!
- Patrick
"Mensch werden ist eine Kunst" - Novalis
to become a human being is art
AngeloMeola
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

I'd recommend Suo Gann
Eat well, drink well, laugh loud and often.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

the castle of dromore http://www.contemplator.com/ireland/dromore.html
Amhran na Paise,..
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

The first thing you should is get a low whistle if you don't have one. There were times when our (at that time) newborn was inconsolable, and I'd take out a low-D and play, which would quiet her right down.

Some of the tunes I played were

Crested Hens and Dowd's #9, both versions by Solas
Rest Sweet Nymphs, a lullaby by an old English songwright; Siuil Aruin (sp), both versions by Kate Price

Can't think of anything else offhand, but there was a lot more.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I agree with Chas. A low whistle will be much more soothing. Somthing like an F or a G, possibly an A.

Lots of American Folk songs are enjoyable for children to hear and learn the words to (when that time comes.)
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

Cayden

Post by Cayden »

There's a CD re-issue of a 1962 recording of The Clancy Children : So Early in the Morning, Irish Children's songs, Rhymes and Games on the Tradition label TCD 1053. (with Bobby Clancy guitar, Diane Hamilton harp and Seamus Ennis whistle plus the three children singing]

it was sent to me [fro mthe US] by a dear friend, for years it was the music my son went to sleep on and by the end he had all songs. Lovely stuff.

There are several lovely Cds of children's songs availble, Padraigin ni hU. and others have great work.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Good Lullabies?

Post by kkrell »

anticDevices wrote:I'm looking for good lullabies - or especially good songs to help sooth, calm or delight infants.
"The Cradle Song" by J. Scott Skinner.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
slowair

Post by slowair »

There is a wonderful CD titled The Celtic Lullaby. It has 18 tracks and most of it is in the Irish. Might not be too great for singing along, but the music should be easy to follow.

It's available from Ellipsis Arts. You can request a catalog by calling 800-788-6670. Or drop them an email at elliarts@aol.com. The snail mail is PO Box 305; Roslyn, NY 11576.

I hope they are still in business for ya. It's really a very pretty album.

Mike

Good news...it is available on amazon.com for $14.99.
Last edited by slowair on Thu May 13, 2004 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alcona

Post by Alcona »

I have that CD. The first song on the cd is very easy to learn and quite pretty. It's called Einini. The other tracks are just as nice, and most are pretty easy to pick up.

Alcona
Birthdays are good for you;
the more you have,
the longer you live.
http://www.pbase.com/ejcsnapdragon
http://www.pbase.com/hamishcraig/jills_pics2
anticDevices

Post by anticDevices »

Thank you all for your suggestions so far. This is absolutely great, you're giving me a whole bunch of new sources. It'll be nice to have something to turn to for lullabies other than Shane McGowan & crew :lol:. Looks like I'll definitely be putting in an order to Amazon shortly.

- Patrick
"Mensch werden ist eine Kunst" - Novalis
to become a human being is art