Chiff and Fipple Cookbook Anyone? (AKA: Post Recipes Here)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Would you like to see a Chiff and Fipple Cookbook?

Yes, I would enjoy it and have recipies to add to it.
65%
Yes I would, though I don't think I have any recipies to add to it.
18%
No, I don't like food/burn everything I touch/just wouldn't be interested.
18%

Total votes: 40

MurphyStout
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by MurphyStout »

I might have a thing or two to add to that thread :wink:
No I'm not returning...
Paul

Post by Paul »

Here's a pretty good recipie. I put it up on GC a while back.

Balogna Sandwich

Ingredients:

2 pieces of white bread sequential from the package
1 slice of bologna

Instructions:

Place one slice of bread on a flat surface such as a tabletop or kitchen counter. Before doing so make sure the counter is free of cats.

place bologna slice directly on the center of the slice of bread that you have placed there on the flat surface. If it's a little off-center it's OK, but it is in poor taste. Be sure not to drop the bologna on the floor during this step. If you do, drop it, be sure and wipe it off BEFORE you put it on the bread.

Once the balogna is securely positioned on the bread you may begin preparing to install the final slice of bread. To do this, you must pick up the bread slice and position it directly on top of the bologna. To do this correctly you must align the slice directly over the bottom slice.

A properly executed Bologna Sandwich will have the appearance of 2 slices of bread neatly put on top of eachother with the edges and corners of the bread meet perfectly. Selecting sequential slices from the package can greatly enhance the neat appearance of a Bologna Sandwich.
aderyn_du
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

Wow, Paul! Those are some pretty impressive culinary skills!! :lol:

I have some recipes I can share, I'll see if I can rustle them up. Fly has a dandelion one I sent him a while back...

(what this thread needs is WanderingWhistler!)
Paul

Post by Paul »

aderyn_du wrote:Wow, Paul! Those are some pretty impressive culinary skills!! :lol:
Thanks, Ad. :party: It took years of practice to perfect the recipie. :lol:

Best,
Paul
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

Here's my strudel recipe. First of all, nobody makes it like me :) but if you still want to try here goes.

Ingrediants-

- one or two boxes (depending on how much you want) of frozen pastry puffs squares that can be found in supermarkets (I make my own but it's a hassle and basically tastes the same so just buy it)
-apples or apricotts or strawberries (or if you want to experiment with other fruits go for it)
-grounded up nilla wafers (one box will do unless you're making LOTS)
-sugar
-cinnamon
-one egg for eggwash

Directions-

-1st Pull dough to thaw and peel and dice your apples
-2nd Roll out dough to whatever length you want it to be (size of your cooking sheat) and 10-12inches wide and about an 1/8inch thick.
-3rd Coat the edges of the dough with eggwash (blended/stir up egg) so the dough will stay when folded.
-4th lay equal parts grounded up nilla wafers and sugar down the middle. A nice 2-3inch wide line going down the middle that isn't too thick. It should be less than a 1/4 in height.
-5th Dust the top of that line with cinnamon (just a dusting cause you don't want it to be over cinnamony... or maybe you do)
-6th Now layer your diced apples (or other diced fruit) over the wafers, sugar and cinnamon. About one or two inches in height (more than that for more fruity less sweet flavor)
-7th Then in reversed fashion layer your dusting of cinnamon, sugar and grounded up nilla wafers.
-8th Fold over the edges and shape it so it looks like a great big strudel log.... instead of a flattened worm looking thing that was in the movie Tremors.
-9th Coat the outside with the eggwash and bake @325 degrees for about 30-45 minutes until the outside is nice and golden brown.

OH DOCTOR that smells good!!! let it cool off a little and then eat.

But if you want to eat MY strudel you'll have to come out and visit.

Happy Baking
No I'm not returning...
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

This one's been around for a while...
Engineer's recipe for chocolate-chip cookies

1.) 532.35 cm3 gluten
2.) 4.9 cm3 NaHCO3
3.) 4.9 cm3 refined halite
4.) 236.6 cm3 partially hydrogenated tallow triglyceride
5.) 177.45 cm3 crystalline C12H22O11
6.) 177.45 cm3 unrefined C12H22O11
7.) 4.9 cm3 methyl ether of protocatechuic aldehyde
8.) Two calcium carbonate-encapsulated avian albumen-coated protein
9.) 473.2 cm3 theobroma cacao
10.) 236.6 cm3 de-encapsulated legume meats (sieve size #10)

Directions:

To a 2-L jacketed round reactor vessel (reactor #1) with an overall heat transfer coefficient of about 100 Btu/F-ft2-hr, add ingredients one, two and three with constant agitation. In a second 2-L reactor vessel with a radial flow impeller operating at 100 rpm, add ingredients four, five, six, and seven until the mixture is homogenous. To reactor #2, add ingredient eight, followed by three equal volumes of the
homogenous mixture in reactor #1. Additionally, add ingredient nine and ten slowly, with constant agitation. Care must be taken at this point in the reaction to control any temperature rise that may be the result of an exothermic reaction.

Using a screw extruder attached to a #4 nodulizer, place the mixture piece-meal on a 316SS sheet (300 x 600 mm). Heat in a 460K oven for a period of time that is in agreement with Frank & Johnston's first order rate expression (see JACOS, 21, 55), or until golden brown. Once the reaction is complete, place the sheet on a 25C heat-transfer table, allowing the product to come to thermal equilibrium.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Just for Emm: Vegetarian Toffee: http://toffee.tullberg.com
emmline

Post by emmline »

I'll have to give that one to my daughters, who still cook for fun! I'll eat it.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Jack's strudel is WONDERFUL. I had it when I met him in San Francisco a couple of years ago. My daughter made it from his recipe last year and it was great, but I've got a feeling there's something he's not including in his recipe...a secret ingredient...

Susan
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

But Susan it is all there! It's just like how a decent player will play a tune and it will sound decent but when a better player plays the same tune it will be alot better! It's about practise and knowing what you're doing.

I can't believe you'd think I would hold out an ingrediant. Ask week, he's seen me make it.
No I'm not returning...
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

You didn't leave out anything, Jack?? Not even a spash of Pepsi?

Actually when my daughter made it, it was scrumptious.

Susan
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I've printed the strudel recipe. MMMMM. Can't wait to try.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Does this mean the board has now lost interest in Pot Noodles?
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Are you kidding? There's nothing like a great bowl of noodles. When we lived in Tacoma, WA, there was a Korean place up on the hill that made incredible noodles. I preferred their egg noodles with shrimp and pork. They used so much MSG; it was great... my neck would be hot for hours afterward. They used the most succulent bean sprouts. Really very good.

Erik (who hopes that Bloomfield does chastize me for posting in the wrong thread)
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Here's one that's easy and tasty:

Chicken with Tomatoes & Peppers
(Serves two medium-sized people)

• Ingredients

2 medium sized tomatoes, peeled & seeded, in 1/2" cubes
     1 red bell pepper, peeled & seeded, in 1/2" pieces
     2 fresh jalapeños, seeded, in 1/4" pieces
     1 small yellow or white onion, chopped medium fine
     1 tablespoon crushed garlic
     2 handfulls of pimentoed olives with the juice squeezed out
     3 tablespoons of mango chutney
     chicken meat in 3/4" to 1" chunks (as much as you want, really)
     2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar (Marukan Gourmet Rice Wine Vinegar is my favorite)
     1/4 - 1/2 cup of brandy
     black pepper and salt to taste (the vinegar and olives will add some salt)

• Procedures

Sauté the chicken in a little olive oil with some black pepper, a bit of the garlic, and a small amount of salt. Go for a light golden brown. Set it aside.

Sauté the red peppers, jalapeños, onions, and remaining garlic in olive oil for a couple of minutes, until they just go tender. Then add the tomato, olives, chutney, and chicken.

After a few minutes (letting some of the sugars go a bit brown), deglaze with the brandy and vinegar, reduce the heat to medium, and cook until there is just enough liquid left to moisten rice or pasta.

• Serving

Pour it over rice or pasta, or maybe something like wheat pilaf.

To make it vegetarian, substitute 1/2" to 3/4" cubes of firm tofu for the chicken. In that case, use a fair amount of oil for the first step.

Here's a mango chutney recipe to use in the above:

Mango Chutney

• Ingredients

1 cup brown sugar
     1 cup vinegar (again, I use Marukan Gourmet Rice Wine Vinegar)
     3 large mangoes cubed
     1 red bell pepper, peeled & seeded, in 3/4" pieces
     2 fresh jalapeños, seeded, in 1/4" pieces
     5 garlic cloves sliced extremely thin, across the grain
     1/2 teaspoon turmeric (this is mainly for color)
     1/2 teaspoon cayenne or other hot pepper powder
     1/4 cup raisins

• Procedures

Dump it all into a thick-bottomed sauce pan and bring it to a boil.

Reduce the heat and simmer for about 45 minutes, or until the liquid starts to thicken. This can be deceptive, because juice will keep coming out of the mango. You want something just a little bit more liquid than jam.

I normally do one batch at a time and just keep it in a jar in the fridge, but I've also done several jars at once, using the usual home-canning techniques.

Peaches, apricots, or pears can be substituted for all or some of the mangos. Any fruit used in this should be fully ripe.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe