LOOK AT LAMBCHOP'S NEW AVATAR!!!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

Flyingcursor wrote:Dot by dot? It would be easier to make your picture somewhere around 800x600 or larger then shrink it. Then you could use regular text. But it's a fine avatar.
I did make it huge and then shrink it. That was the only way I could control the dots. It was so difficult to draw with the mouse -- I had to do it all left-handed -- that I ended up coloring in big chunks and deleting the parts I didn't want. Pixel by pixel. Worked ok that way.

Tried to put text on it, but it wouldn't work :D

Oh, shoot! I just realized . . . if I'd slowed down the cursor speed, it would have been easier. Oh, well. Next time.
What kind of flute is that?
That's my McGee, of course.

The Burns is boxwood--you wouldn't have been able to see it.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

izzarina wrote:
Lambchop wrote:Looks like I'm mashing a roach.
I thought they were called Palmetto Bugs in your neck of the woods

;)

Only when we're talking to tourists.

They's roaches. Three-inch long . . . shudder . . . flying roaches.

I don't care if they have pots and pans . . . as long as they stay out of mine. Brrrr!
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

Lambchop wrote:I don't care if they have pots and pans . . . as long as they stay out of mine. Brrrr!
I don't know...it seems to me that if they're big enough to carry around pots and pans, that's pretty darn scary!!! :o All I know is that i'm not going to Tyler's house any time soon, if HIS roaches have pots and pans.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

izzarina wrote: All I know is that i'm not going to Tyler's house any time soon, if HIS roaches have pots and pans.
It's probably better if you don't visit right now; the roaches bang those damn things together all night long sometimes, then take my Mini without permission on a drunken rampage through out the town. :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Tyler Morris wrote:then take my Mini without permission on a drunken rampage through out the town. :D
AAACCKKK!!! Not the Mini!!! Don't let those beastly things near it!!!! They'll contaminate it!
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Tyler Morris wrote:
izzarina wrote: All I know is that i'm not going to Tyler's house any time soon, if HIS roaches have pots and pans.
It's probably better if you don't visit right now; the roaches bang those damn things together all night long sometimes, then take my Mini without permission on a drunken rampage through out the town. :D
That's horrible! You need a gecko. Probably a family of them. For insurance. <heh!>

Here's George, my gecko. Or, at least, a gecko like George--a Hemidactylus mabouia. He lets himself in through the window frame to do his nocturnal kitchen patrols. He used to stay outside, but has been coming in of late because of that pesky ant problem. No more ants now, so I expect him to visit less.

He's a little freaky looking, but you can't hold a person's appearance against them when they do such good work.

Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Lambchop wrote:That's horrible! You need a gecko. Probably a family of them.
We had a cute little pink gecko in Taiwan. It stalked around on the ceiling, eating mosquitos, for which I was very thankful.

The first time I saw one of those pink ones, it was sitting on a polished brass sign on a building where I was waiting for a friend. I assumed that it was rubber, probably with a suction cup on its belly, but when I reached out to touch it, it ran off. I was so startled I nearly fell over.

(Nice avatar, by the way, Lambchop.)
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Darwin wrote:
We had a cute little pink gecko in Taiwan. It stalked around on the ceiling, eating mosquitos, for which I was very thankful.

The first time I saw one of those pink ones, it was sitting on a polished brass sign on a building where I was waiting for a friend. I assumed that it was rubber, probably with a suction cup on its belly, but when I reached out to touch it, it ran off. I was so startled I nearly fell over.
We have other indoor reptiles here . . . brown anoles, mostly . . . but they are daylight operators. I don't think they're nearly as efficient as a gecko.
(Thanks, Dar! Did I mention that I did it myself? )
Jack

Post by Jack »

Lambchop wrote:
Darwin wrote:

We have other indoor reptiles here . . . brown anoles, mostly . . . but they are daylight operators. I don't think they're nearly as efficient as a gecko.
(Thanks, Dar! Did I mention that I did it myself? )
I USED TO HAVE AN ANOLE AND IT ATE ROACHES AS WELL!
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Tyler Morris wrote:Image
Now careful, Tyler. You can get shot if you're caught sheep-worrying in the UK! :D

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

The initials are too low to look to me to be some poor roach about to get stamped, but I have not prejudice against insects, so my mind didn’t view the initials as anything other than innocent initials.

The palmetto bug is Blaberus craniifer, noted for being the largest cockroach found in the US. Yes, they can fly! But I don’t hold that against them, as they are rather well behaved and don’t really like to hang around indoors much. Cockroaches make interesting pets, at least to those of us that are not entomophobic. If anyone wants to send palmetto bugs my way, I would be willing to pay for shipping and handling!

Rod
Last edited by Rod Sprague on Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Rod Sprague wrote: If anyone wants to send palmetto bugs my way, I would be willing to pay for shipping and handling!

Rod
How about if you start a collection service instead? :D

I think ours are all Blatta something-or-other over here. I'm told they'll eat literally anything - except sliced cucumber!

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

SteveShaw wrote:
Now careful, Tyler. You can get shot if you're caught sheep-worrying in the UK! :D

Steve

Gasp! How did I MISS that?

I'm sure Tyler meant it to be used on toast . . . it's tasty with a bit of cream cheese . . .
Denny

Post by Denny »

Lambchop wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:

Steve

Gasp! How did I MISS that?

I'm sure Tyler meant it to be used on toast . . . it's tasty with a bit of cream cheese . . .
I'm sure that he meant toast...it wouldn't do with rabbit.

Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

SteveShaw wrote:I think ours are all Blatta something-or-other over here. I'm told they'll eat literally anything - except sliced cucumber!

Steve
Actually, there are a number of cosmopolitan genera besides Blatta that like to lurk indoors, almost everywhere people have indoor climate control or consistently warm weather outdoors. I could be pedantic and list the best known ones, but I think we all have better things to do. An odd fact about indoor cockroaches is the toughest ones in the world are found in the US Congress building! It seems people from all over the world show up there to lobby so all sorts of cockroaches from all over the world show up. Congressmen insist that all the latest roach killers are used, so they are exposed to the strongest insecticides we have to offer, but the influx of genetic variability from all over the world insures some will survive due to resistance to the new chemicals. The selective pressure and influx of new genes has evolved the world’s toughest roaches!

Rod