200 year old baritone regulator

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Doogie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

200 year old baritone regulator

Post by Doogie »

Any Idea what note's this reg was made to play... It only has three keys... Thank's.

http://users.aol.com/wgority/bari.gif
Kilkee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kilkee »

If you repeat the calculations of the last page of Reedmaking For Uilleann Pipers, 2nd Edition - Laurie & Eddie Climo at www.swaup.org somethings should come out
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

And while you're there, check out and download this reed making info, very nicely done. It is one of the many references I consult for reed making tips.

http://swaup.mogsoft.com/reedscreen.pdf

Plus, if they have the good taste to post a noble image of this reed making guru...

... you know the site is pretty darn good, eh? :D
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

The early days of the Union Pipes (Uilleann pipes were not invented until the 'Flood' :twisted:) were times of experimentation and regulators key configurations were not standardised. Tenor regulators had 4 to 5 keys or occasionally more which in the case below is 8
This set only 4 Image
With this one the Tenor and Baritone have short keys and the site this came from says the tenor gives the notes f#,g,a,b and baritone d,e,f#,g
Not very clear but there appears to be an extra key on the Baritone and just a single key on a very long curved bass regulator. This seems a lot of work to supply just one note.

Edited to add
The above photos are reproduced from Michael MacHarg's and Chris Bayley's websites - apologies for this omission
Last edited by Elmek on Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doogie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doogie »

Interesting Thanks...
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

If you squint hard at this you'll notice it also has an extra "rank" of chords - i.e., the middle reg has 6 keys, the bass and small 5. What the notes were I couldn't tell you - B/C#, going high? Or C/Fnat, going low? The piper it was made for, Charles Ferguson, was one of the many pipers in the old days who exclusively played airs, marches, song tunes, and the like.

Elmek

Post by Elmek »

Have received a friendly wrist smack reminding me that if I reference items from peoples sites they should be acknowledged

Sorry to Michael MacHarg and Chris Bayley - have added a footnote to the posting

Elmek
wgority

Post by wgority »

I'm going to be working on recreating the regulators from this set over the course of this summer. I'll let you know how it goes and what the sounding notes are.

Bill
Pipers Gathering--More Fun, More Music
August 1-4, 2008 in Killington, VT
http://www.pipersgathering.org