Joe Kennedy medium bore D chanter for sale

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
piobaire mor

Joe Kennedy medium bore D chanter for sale

Post by piobaire mor »

I'm selling a Joe kennedy medium D chanter, the chanter is made from ebony and brass with a Cnatural key. The chanter is as new, it is two months old, I am selling for financial reasons, spare reed with chanter. I paid 1200 euro for the chanter and am looking for this amount for it. The chanter is perfect with no issues whatsoever.
(Buyer pays shipping)

piobaire mor

Post by piobaire mor »

This chanter is still for sale, if anyone's interested they can email me at piobairemor@hotmail.com
glands
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glands »

"Medium bore" implies that the maker has large and small bore chanters in D as well. Huh?
billh

Post by billh »

glands wrote:"Medium bore" implies that the maker has large and small bore chanters in D as well. Huh?
What makes you say that?

What else would you call a D chanter that was neither "wide" bore nor "narrow"?
glands

Post by glands »

If at McDonalds...medium means small. When purchasing a chapeau, medium depends on how big your head is......medium is large for me but a big headed dude may find it to be small. A edium chanter implies the maker has made 'em smaller and larger. And if not, why call it medium? Relative to what? Wh not say it is a D chanter and leave it at tha? How many on the list would say..."Oh, yeah, a medium Kennedy chanter.....I know what that means...yep...the medium....plays this way and that......."
ChaplainBlake
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Irish music has been a developing passion of mine. In the next few years, I hope to have all four of my kids going on whistles!

Post by ChaplainBlake »

I think what Bill was saying is that the moniker of "medium" does not necessarily imply that the maker crafts both wide and narrow bore chanters. Your reference to the fact that medium implies a size contextualization is relevant, but that does not necessitate that Mr Kennedy actually make both the larger and smaller bored chanters to use that language. In fact, the nomenclature would prove useful (even if only in some small way) if the maker did not produce both wide and narrow bore, as it would give some indication of the relationship of that specific chanter to the broader spectrum of bore measurement.
I would suspect that for most of us, just knowing that it falls somewhere between a wide and narrow bore is a useful piece of info, even without knowing precisely what that means in terms of mm (or inches, if you prefer standard). So, he does not have to make all three sizes to use the term medium to describe the bore. However, your point that the nomenclature is not terrifically effective unless the maker produces wide and narrow (so as to give a frame of reference for the "medium" size) is a meaningful one.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Does Joe Kennedy still make a chanter with an extra medium bore? I think I heard a piper playing one at Willie Week. It was a little louder than his medium bore chanters, but not as deafening as a wide bore D chanter.
jimharrison

Post by jimharrison »

I think that one's been discontinued, but the skinny soy Grande is the stick of choice for pipers with the 'bucks .... :D
billh

Post by billh »

Here's an imaginary conversation.
Glands, you can read the part of "Lewis" and I'll read "Bill":
Bill: Did you know Geoff Wooff makes narrow bore D sets?
Lewis: Uh-huh. (Looks around.)
Bill: Leo Rowsome concert pitch chanters were wide bore.
Lewis: (Checking his watch) Yep, that's what they tell me.
Bill: I hear Joe Kennedy makes D chanters too.
Lewis: Oh really? Narrow bore or wide?
Bill: Sort of in-between I think.
Lewis: You mean medium bore?
Bill: Yeah, medium bore D chanters. That's it.
:-)
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

glands wrote:If at McDonalds...medium means small. When purchasing a chapeau, medium depends on how big your head is......medium is large for me but a big headed dude may find it to be small. A edium chanter implies the maker has made 'em smaller and larger. And if not, why call it medium? Relative to what? Wh not say it is a D chanter and leave it at tha? How many on the list would say..."Oh, yeah, a medium Kennedy chanter.....I know what that means...yep...the medium....plays this way and that......."
Hmmm.... I always thought a "medium bore" was:

a person through whom the spirits of the dead are alleged to be able to contact the living and has a dull, tiresome, or uncongenial personality.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

billh wrote:Here's an imaginary conversation.
Glands, you can read the part of "Lewis" and I'll read "Bill":
Bill: Did you know Geoff Wooff makes narrow bore D sets?
Lewis: Uh-huh. (Looks around.)
Bill: Leo Rowsome concert pitch chanters were wide bore.
Lewis: (Checking his watch) Yep, that's what they tell me.
Bill: I hear Joe Kennedy makes D chanters too.
Lewis: Oh really? Narrow bore or wide?
Bill: Sort of in-between I think.
Lewis: You mean medium bore?
Bill: Yeah, medium bore D chanters. That's it.
:-)
:lol:
glands wrote:If at McDonalds...
Supersize me?!?

PJ
djm

Post by djm »

Joe can, and has, make you any size bore you like. The medium bore is his own design through trial and error. It is not as abrasive sounding as some of the wider bores, but it can be made just as loud as a wide bore through reed design. Joe is well known and respected for his small bore sets.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
glands

Post by glands »

a dull, tiresome, or uncongenial personality.
Oh....

Medium bore still means nothing to me....tells me nothing about how the instrument plays, how in-tune- with-it-self it is, how loud, or easy to reed it may be, and why the hell the seller called it medium bore. Why bother to call it such if even a pipe maker...unless you have made 'em larger or smaller in the past.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Are there other famous chanters by famous makers that can be described as medium bore?

tommykleen
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

glands wrote:

Medium bore still means nothing to me....tells me nothing about how the instrument plays, how in-tune- with-it-self it is, how loud, or easy to reed it may be, and why the hell the seller called it medium bore. Why bother to call it such if even a pipe maker...unless you have made 'em larger or smaller in the past.
ImageImageImage