MODES - major, minor and anarchic

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
talasiga
antispam: No

MODES - major, minor and anarchic

Post by talasiga »

MTGuru wrote: (in this other topic)
There are 4 common scale modes in Irish/Scottish/English trad: Ionian (1), Dorian (2), Mixolydian (5) and Aeolian (6), both full and gapped (pentatonic, hexatonic). Each is based on a scale tone of the major scale, shown here in parentheses.

Ionian is synonymous with conventional Major, and Aeolian with Minor. Mixolydian uses the major 3rd scale tone, and is considered major-ish. Dorian uses the minor 3rd scale tone, and is considered minor-ish. So ...

Yes but without the "ishes". The Ionian is one of the major modes. It is the standard bearer of major modes if you like. The prime determinant of mode classification into major and minor streams is based on whether a harmonic chord using the tonic/keynote as the chord triad's root, the perfect fifth interval and the third interval give rise to a major or minor chord. If the third interval in any mode is major (4 semitones from the tonic) the chord will be major and if the interval be minor (3 semitones from the tonic) the chord will be minor.

Therefore, the following modes available naturally on a standard diatonic flute are major (not majorish):-
Ionian, Mixolydian and Lydian.
and the following are minor (not minorish):-
Aeolian, Dorian, Phrygian
and the Locrian, is neither major nor minor being devilish and anti harmonic.

There are other major and minor modes, both diatonic and non diatonic, which we can discuss later. My first sequel to this post (hecklers permitting) is to talk about the heirarchy of major and minor modes. IE, Why is Ionian the "standard bearer" or the "major major" and so on?
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

That is all well and good, but my favorite mode is a la mode.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

my favourite mode is horizontal and snoring mode.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Oh, talasiga, I'm downright fond of my ishes. Quite peckish, in fact. Especially in music that is somewhat Ir or Scott -- er, I mean Ir-ish or Scott-ish. My fondest wish is my ish! Bitte meine Ishen nicht auswischen! :-)

In my experience with people who are familiar only with the classical Major/Minor paradigm, saying that, for example, Dorian is minor, but not Minor (i.e., the Aeolian they're familiar with, or its harmonic/melodic minor variants) can be very confusing. Hence one utility of ish. Also, as I said before, as a cover term for calling out keys in sessions. If someone says "A minor", we're expecting A Aeolian. But calling "A minorish" prepares us for any of the minor modes, including ambiguous gapped modes, without having to analyze the structure of the upcoming tune while simultaneously swilling our Guinness and chatting up the customers.

Of course, I omitted Lydian and Phrygian because they're not common in ITM. And Lochrian is just evil (my brain wants to hear it as a Mixolydian inversion). The word even sounds evil. A slimy prehistoric mode from the depths of a Scottish lake.

Good question though about the primacy of Ionian. My impression from casual reading is that it's a fairly universal scale, even in cultures and systems that may be quite far from Western music in other features and details.

Should this thread be moved to the Postmodal Pub or the ITM forum?
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

MTGuru wrote: A slimy prehistoric mode from the depths of a Scottish lake.
Greek. Or Turkish or whatever. :P

With Ionian... well, it's one of the easiest keys to figure out in fifths tuning- starting from C a s a tonic, you get G and F easy, then going off from G you get DAEB, and so you've got all the notes, just like that. Lydian is even easier since you can just go CGDAEBF#, but the sharp 4th makes it less stable as a mode.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

TheSpoonMan wrote:
MTGuru wrote: A slimy prehistoric mode from the depths of a Scottish lake.
Greek. Or Turkish or whatever. :P
Locria: historical region in central Greece, north of the Gulf of Corinth, original home of the Locri (Lokroi) tribe. I guess the correct spelling really is Locrian, not Lochrian, which kinda ruins my Nessie joke. Damn. :-)

The names all sound like something from Star Trek. "Captain, the Locrians have captured the Phrygian ambassador, and are beaming him to the Mixolydian home planet!"
TheSpoonMan wrote:Lydian is even easier since you can just go CGDAEBF#, but the sharp 4th makes it less stable as a mode.
And if you stop 2 steps short in the cycle, you get CGDAE = CDEGA, which is the basic major pentatonic. Interesting.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

I really don't understand modes.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

chrisoff wrote:I really don't understand modes.
My music theory, including modes, is sort of okay, but I just can't think fast or clearly enough for it to really help my playing. Basically I just learn tunes without analysing them too deeply.

When accompanying a vocal I might occasionally bung in a few deliberate intervals whose effect I know well, that are off the main melody to add a bit of tension or movement, but that's just really stuff I learned in guitar chord theory when I was a kid. I can't do anything really analysed or clever.

I'm not a good whistle player. I'm not a good mandolin player. I'm not a good musician. But I have great fun just playing along with people who are much better, and who (given a chance) would explain modes until the cows come home.

I don't give them the chance.

:D
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I came across modes years ago when I was getting to grips with the Mountain Dulcimer. It was a practical approach I was taking. You can't play the dulcimer much unless you know something about modes. But what you need to know about modes is not at all how modes are used in Irish Traditional Music.

I learned a bit more about modes, but I don't exercise the knowledge, so I keep forgetting it. As a Norner, I have a soft spot for the Dorian mode. Left to myself I'd be playing a lot of Dorian stuff. The sad thing is I don't always recognise it, so it's like a slap on the head when somebody says "not Dorian mode AGAIN!".

My (possibly ignorant) impression is that Ionian, as a mode, is indestinguishable from an ordinary middle-C octave. It's easy for the beginner to understand. That's why it's first in the lessons.

I'm sure this is a lot of fun for the music theorist. You can organise hierarchies in all sorts of different and interesting ways. But it reminds me of an architectural theorist called "Battey Langley" who tried to enforce a system of orders on Gothic Architecture, to match the well-established orders of classical architecture.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
djm

Post by djm »

Locrian Phrygs. Ionian jigs.
Mixolydian Dorian gigs.
Aeolian Lydian clouds at all ...

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

buddhu wrote:
chrisoff wrote:I really don't understand modes.
My music theory, including modes, is sort of okay, but I just can't think fast or clearly enough for it to really help my playing. Basically I just learn tunes without analysing them too deeply.

When accompanying a vocal I might occasionally bung in a few deliberate intervals whose effect I know well, that are off the main melody to add a bit of tension or movement, but that's just really stuff I learned in guitar chord theory when I was a kid. I can't do anything really analysed or clever.

I'm not a good whistle player. I'm not a good mandolin player. I'm not a good musician. But I have great fun just playing along with people who are much better, and who (given a chance) would explain modes until the cows come home.

I don't give them the chance.

:D
Quick Lesson: Modes for the ITM Player

Let's assume you play whistle. This is easiest because it's strictly diatonic, and also because I play whistle. You have the following notes (on a D instrument): D E F# G A B C C# in two(ish) octaves. This allows you to play both the D major and G major scales.

Now, these scales have a mode for each note in the scale, so there's seven modes you can play off of the D major scale, and there's seven modes you can plan off of the G major scale. The ITM player sees, most often, Ionian (aka major scale), Dorian, Mixolydian (which is, incidentally, a major scale with a flattened seventh), and Aeolian (aka natural minor scale). Let's take D major as an example.

The mode you play on D is your D major scale, and is also the Ionian mode.

If you play all of the notes in a D scale in order, but start on E, you play a Dorian mode. A lot of people (at my session, anyway) confuse the Dorian mode with a minor scale. That's because it sounds minor(ish). It is not quite the same as any of the several minor scales in Western music (natural, harmonic, melodic), but it's similar.

If you play all of the notes in a D scale in order but start on A, it's a Mixolydian mode. You'll notice very quickly that there's only one note different from A Mixolydian and A major: A major has a G# where A Mixolydian as a Gn. So Mixolydian modes sound a bit like an off-kilter major scale. Unimportant Technical Stuff: Another interesting thing (harmonically) about Mixolydian is that because the seventh is flattened, the triad on the seventh scale degree is major (it's diminished in a major scale). So tunes in Mixolydian like to start a little figure on a I triad, then move it down, note for note, to a VII triad.

And, finally, if you play all of the notes of a D scale in order, but start on B, it's an Aeolian mode. This is the same as a natural minor scale, but be not fooled: Western art music makes very little practical use of the natural minor scale. That is, you won't find a classical piece in "natural minor" any more than you'll find one in "harmonic minor." A classical piece in minor will draw from all three of the minor scales without prejudice or reserve. Anyway, as far as ITM goes, this is a minor scale.

So how can you use all of this? Well, I'll tell you:

I'm going to assume you can figure out what key signature you're in. I might explain that later if it's an issue. And you can't always trust the dots, they don't always put the key signature for the relative major (like they should). I've seen Banish Misfortune, which is in D mixolydian, notated in one sharp. Meh.

Note: Tonic = the fundamental note of a key. You can think of it as the note that "resolves" the key, or the note that the tune (probably) feels like it should end on. In D major, the tonic is D. In G major it's G. In A Mixolydian, it's A. And so on.

If your key signature is two sharps (looks like D major), and...

...the tonic is D, you're in D Ionian / D Major.
...the tonic is E, you're in E Dorian.
...the tonic is A, you're in A Mixolydian.
...the tonic is B, you're in B Aeolian / B Natural Minor.

If you're key signature is one sharp (looks like G major), and...

...the tonic is G, you're in G Ionian / G Major.
...the tonic is A, you're in A Dorian.
...the tonic is D, you're in D Mixolydian.
...the tonic is E, you're in E Aeolian / E Natural Minor.

So you see it's really important to keep track of whether you're playing in one sharp or two, because modes on E, A, or D will have different names, depending.

I guess the lesson wasn't so quick as I'd thought... :oops:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Hi from a Newb.
Just wanted to say, I copied this and printed it out, and will go
through it later with a highlighter and pencil.

If this had been a conversation happening in realtime, I would
have been hopelessly lost in the dust, and probably would have
given up half-way through. :boggle: Cool that I can take these educational
moments and, by the miracle of modern technology, can re-play
them in super......slo.....mo :lol:
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

This is a good thread.

If you understand the modes, it helps if you are harmonizing a tune or are puzzled by the way others harmonize them. This happens sometimes in ITM.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

What about rant mode? I think "I buried my wife and danced on top of her" and "Paranoid" (most of Black Sabbath for that matter) are in rant mode.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

With due respect to Weeks and Congrats and Talasiga, not to appear dismissive, but for me, in ITM, mode names are only an intrusion. The substance of the tune trumps its modal categorisation (after all, I could name anything anything, couldn't I). I just play or accompany the damn thing, and I do just fine, really. Really.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not an obscurantist, but the only mode I conveniently recognise is Mixolydian. Otherwise, it's just some form of major or minor. No problem at all. The rest is details, and those details change and defy categorisation enough mid-tune to give me a headache were I to chain myself to some modal set of mind. That's just me, though. I think it's nice if some wants to, and can, focus on modes and whether a minor key is harmonic, true, or floccinaucinhilipillificational.

Recognising a category doesn't help me as an ITM player. My ears do. Recognising modes might a diversion when I have nothing much else to do. I'll tell you this, though: whenever I bring up mode names with my fellow ITM musicians - and I'm thinking of the expert ones, here - they look at me as if I'm an ass.

I'm not against modal categorisation. I'm against overrating its importance. Play, or theorise.

Did someone mention rant mode? :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician