Has anyone played one of Phil Bleazey's flutes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Kitty
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Has anyone played one of Phil Bleazey's flutes?

Post by Kitty »

Hi All,
I have just been looking at Phil Bleazey's website.
Does anyone out there own one?
Has anyone ever tried one?
What are they like? Any good?
sincerely
Kitty :)
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

These have been discussed quite a bit. If you search on Bleazey in the flute forum, you'll find a few threads on his flutes. Briefly, I've got one, it's a very easy player -- when I was beginning I tried a few different flutes and this was the only one that suited me. It's very small-holed, the sound is mellow, it's difficult to get a big dirty sound from it.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

DOH!!! :oops: :oops:
I don't know why i didn't think of searching the posts.
what an air head! :boggle:
Kitty
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

A musical acquaintance of mine has one - as Chas says, mellow, sweet, quite easy to play (I've only had a couple of toots on it, not enough to really get to know it) - and she gets a nice sound out of it that she likes. It's a bit in the direction of the baroque style - some of the cross-fingerings work (handy compared to a Pratten style keyless), but it isn't intended to be a "period" tool. Nice enough, although I think I'd quite soon get frustrated with it - but then, I'm a confirmed 8-key (using) guy and used to my R&R. I'd say a beginner/improver could certainly do a lot worse, but personally I'd probably suggest something else, depending on what your aims and preferences are, and any physical considerations. The one I have tried is a lot better than, say, a Sweetheart, but for the sort of money probably involved, if you want a mainstream ITM effect, go for a Seery or similar.
Good luck!
cajordan

Post by cajordan »

I have a Bleazey keyless in yew - easy to play - sweet tone - good design for small hands - not that loud (for me anyway - I'm not loud on anything!).

I see you're in the UK - If you're going to stay with buying from the UK - it's probably a good choice in that price range, he did have some in stock when I bought mine - depends what wood you want.

If you're happy to shop internationally, and the dollar exchange rate is in our favour at the moment - there's a lot more choice... just remember you may get stung for an extra 20 to 25% by customs (duty plus handling charge plus VAT at 17.5% on the whole lot!)

Chris
AlunR

Post by AlunR »

Hi Kitty

I've been playing one of Phil's keyless blackwood flutes for the last 2 years and I would tend to agree with most of the comments above. I found it easy to play straight off but it takes a bit more work to get the sort of tone that most ITM players are looking for. However, I can't claim to be a particularly good player (not enough practice) and the only other experience I have is with a Dixon PVC tube!

One thing I would say is that Phil is a great guy to deal with - also, I think that it's a bargain if you live in the UK. You could also check out Fred Rose and Dominic Allan if you're put off by Customs duty.

http://www.fredrose.co.uk/
http://www.woodflutes.co.uk/index.htm

Cheers
Al
Lyn D

Bleazey flutes

Post by Lyn D »

Hi Kitty,

I just got my first flute about 2 months ago, and it's a keyless Bleazey in Cookstown ironwood. It is wonderful! It has a warm, round ,mellow voice. The low notes are good and solid, the second octave is nice, not shrill. The transition between octaves is as smooth as
silk. It has really good volume, with a good leeway between the softest and the loudest I can play. I'm not sure if it's loud enough for sessions, as I've never been to one. You can't ask for more. Good luck in your search.

Lyn
AlunR

Post by AlunR »

Sorry, forgot to say that I've used the Bleazey in sessions and it's cut through with no problems.

Al