NATIVE AMERICAN FLUTE - Achieving Sounds

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
goodrow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by goodrow »

I have been learning the Native American Five and Six flute for the past few months. Anybody have any fingering tips (holes 1-5 or 6, blowend to bottom), for achieving some of the native sounding chirps, animal sounds, etc that often incorporated into songs to give it an authentic flavor? ALL SUGGESTIONS ARE APPRECIATED.
Blayloch

Post by Blayloch »

Hi,

I've played the native flutes for about 4 years now, here are some suggestions to get you started.

The six hole flutes are pentatonic, they play a pentatonic minor scale, plus one note from the chromatic scale.

The note you play with all holes closed is the same note as all holes open, only lower.

For Native style music, always keep the 3rd hole from the top covered. Never lift that finger.

Everytime you lift a finger for sound, make sure all the fingers underneath it (except that 3rd from the top) are up as well, and everything above it is closed.

So your fingering would work like this:

<=X=X=X=X=X=X=) 1st (lowest note)
<=X=X=X=X=X=O=) 2nd
<=X=X=X=X=O=O=) 3rd
<=X=X=X=O=O=O=) 4th
<=X=O=X=O=O=O=) 5th
<=O=O=X=O=O=O=) 6th (highes/same note as first)

Practice working up and down the scale, then practice the scale skipping every other note, then skipping 2 notes.

After that add ornaments. They are mostly rolls of the tongue, rapid finger taps, and a bending/peeling from one note to another.

Vary pressure with notes as well.

Enjoy your flute :smile:

-Aaron
Blayloch

Post by Blayloch »

Oh, also..

The chirps are overblows. Spike a quick burst of air about 3 times stronger than normal and peel your finger off the hole to create a bend at the same time. Add a roll of the tonge at the beginning of the effect for more birdlike sounds.

Also, a wavering of the finger on the hole, an almost bend, done back and forth, along with vibration of breath from the diaphram can add a very low haunting sound.

Maybe I'll post some sound clips of the techniques I mentioned if you would like.

-Aaron
SeraFin

Post by SeraFin »

lovely instrument, the native american flutes :smile: very earthy and pleasant sounding.. blaloch has mentioned lots of methods for interesting effects.. i liked trilling with the back of my tongue to make a dove like sound with my native flute in some of my more somber playing times..

good luck to you :smile:
~SeraFin
what will be the end. . .