Anyone else out there play a Tony Hebdon chanter?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ImNotIrish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Anyone else out there play a Tony Hebdon chanter?

Post by ImNotIrish »

Just curious. Looking to see who in the states would be able to make a couple of reeds for it.
Arbo
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Anyone else out there play a Tony Hebdon chanter?

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Interesting question... Years ago--before I even started playing uilleann pipes--I remember salivating over Tony Hebdon's impressive webpage and all the pics of his pipes that were, at the very least, nice looking. However, in all the years since, I've never heard of a piper with a set of his pipes or whether they were any good or not. Was he a good maker who just didn't manage to attract much high-profile business, or... well, not?

At any rate, your best bet would be to try and find the best reedmaker you can that lives nearby. This person may or may not be a pipemaker as well. Some pipemakers are quite happy to make reeds for other people's instruments, others may not. (And, really, you can't blame them.) If the chanter is of reasonably good quality, then chances are that a good reedmaker should be able to make a good working reed for it.
Marcelo Muttis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Marcelo Muttis »

Hi ImnotIrish, I guess is not usefull for you cause I´m not in the States but I´ve reeded a Tony Hebdon´s chanter in D concert pitch, the owner obviously lives here in Argentina just about 20 blocks away from home
Thanks God for the opposite thumb.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Marcelo Muttis wrote:Hi ImnotIrish, I guess is not usefull for you cause I´m not in the States but I´ve reeded a Tony Hebdon´s chanter in D concert pitch, the owner obviously lives here in Argentina just about 20 blocks away from home
I was hoping to not have to send it out of the country. How does your friend's chanter sound? Is it a scalloped one, not that that makes a huge difference, but I kinda like mine that way. I know a lot of folks hate them. Anyway, I am still very much in the beginning stages with this instrument. I play flute, whistles, and banjo, and working on fiddle too. So the pipes I fit in as I can. Bruce Childress fitted the reed in it now, but mentioned something about it needing a wider staple perhaps?
Arbo
Marcelo Muttis

Post by Marcelo Muttis »

The chanter sounds great, good volume and rich in armonics mostly in the upper octave which is easy to reach, is not hard to get both octaves in tune to each other, the chanter has the tendency to autocrann in bottom D wich I fixed with a little 0.8 mm wire rush at the throat point, aside of this detail everything is well done and is a delight to play. I really didn`t like the scallope it doesn`t help the beginner to seal better as is believed, but is a matter of tuning; in terms of constructive concept, in general (it was a halfset) the whole set is sturdy and solid also in the aesthetics, neat and clean perfectly done but not delicate, is in the strong solid side.
The staple... let me remember, IIRC I rolled a wider staple for it, I`d have to ask this guy if you want to know precisely.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Marcelo Muttis wrote:The chanter sounds great, good volume and rich in armonics mostly in the upper octave which is easy to reach, is not hard to get both octaves in tune to each other, the chanter has the tendency to autocrann in bottom D wich I fixed with a little 0.8 mm wire rush at the throat point, aside of this detail everything is well done and is a delight to play. I really didn`t like the scallope it doesn`t help the beginner to seal better as is believed, but is a matter of tuning; in terms of constructive concept, in general (it was a halfset) the whole set is sturdy and solid also in the aesthetics, neat and clean perfectly done but not delicate, is in the strong solid side.
The staple... let me remember, IIRC I rolled a wider staple for it, I`d have to ask this guy if you want to know precisely.
Thanks. If you can get the precise dimensions, I think that would be helpful. I know John Gallagher is in the area, I guess I could try Pat Sky as well.
Arbo
Marcelo Muttis

Post by Marcelo Muttis »

I´m sure both of them would do an excelent job.